Funny Hair Stories As A Child? (you trying to do your OWN hair!)

Sonye93

Well today I was talking to my neighbor and she was just telling me how her lil' sis tried to do her hair. She said that it was horrible (I didn't believe her until I saw the little girl), but her sister was rockin' it like she just came from the hair salon (she's 5).:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Then I told her of this time when I was little, I was 6, my mom was supposed to braid my hair for a wedding. So she washed and detangled my hair then left to go cook I was in the bathroom drying myself then looked in the mirror then looked at the vaseline, then looked at the mirror, then at the vaseline (can you tell, I had an idea?:nono:). So I went along with my "idea" took handfuls of vaseline and dragged it across the top of my hair until everything was "flat", I was natural BTW.

I then came out the bathroom and said "Mommy, you don't have to do my hair anymore, I did it myself" and smiled proudly:grin:. She turned around and just looked at me, her face looked like this: :ohwell::perplexed:nono:. She said slowly...."Wh...Wh....What did you do to your hair?" I said, "mommy I "relaxed" it, ALL BY MYSELF:D. She did this::lachen:, then asked me nicely to go wash my hair again.

So what's your story?

Last edited:
I was at my grandmother's house (I was about 8 y.o.) and she was combing my hair. I never liked it when she would comb my hair because she would literally spit on her hands and then rub it in my hair along with some vaseline (I know TMI), but it's the truth.:yep: I got so mad and told her that I didn't want her to do that. Then she became mad and said, "Well if you think you can comb your own hair, then you can just do it yourself -- from NOW ON!!! I smiled, looked at her and tried to comb and style my own hair. I thought it looked kind of cute, but everyone else who saw my hair kept asking me, "what happened to your hair?" I was so mad and embarrassed :blush: but due to my stubborness I wouldn't let my grandmother touch my hair again. When I'd see her fixing my cousin's hair I would just laugh:lachen:cause she would do the same thing that she used to do to mine. My cousin would be so mad but was afraid to tell my grandmother that she didn't like it:lachen:

wow. I can't remember being left with my hair long enough to do anything major, but I remember trying to get my mom to let me rock the braid out even back then. I would be meticulous about taking out my cornrows in hopes that maybe one day she would see how fly my hair really looked all out and chaka-esque. Never happened though.

I remember trying to be a trendsetter when I was about 10 and doing sideways pigtails. When I got to school the other kids were like why do you have a horn on your head? :blush:

I remember trying to help my mom trim my ends.:look:

When she left the room, for a brief second, I grabbed the scissors and cut HUGE CHUNKS of hair off, thinking I was doing a great thing. :rolleyes:

She cried when she saw how I'd butchered my hair. :nono:

I remember being confused. I was expecting praise!! :lachen:

Well...the day before the first day of school, my mother used to texlax my hair as well as my sister's. She would do one of us and then do the other while the first one's hair was air-drying. That day, I had to do mine first. So she finished my hair and then left me in the living room with instructions not to touch my hair and just to let it dry. As soon as she left, I took a fine-tooth comb and tried to make a "curl" with it, but I only succeeded in tangling the comb impossibly in my head. I tried to untangle it, but I couldn't. And then I heard my mom coming back to style my hair, so I panicked and cut the comb out of my hair with a pair of scissors, thinking that she wouldn't notice. :nono:

First, she :perplexed, then she :angry2:,and you know she :whipped::brucelee::spank:.

I have never been given such a beating in all my days. :lol:

Then I told her of this time when I was little, I was 6, my mom was supposed to braid my hair for a wedding. So she washed and detangled my hair then left to go cook I was in the bathroom drying myself then looked in the mirror then looked at the vaseline, then looked at the mirror, then at the vaseline (can you tell, I had an idea?:nono:). So I went along with my "idea" took handfuls of vaseline and dragged it across the top of my hair until everything was "flat", I was natural BTW.

I then came out the bathroom and said "Mommy, you don't have to do my hair anymore, I did it myself" and smiled proudly:grin:. She turned around and just looked at me, her face looked like this: :ohwell::perplexed:nono:. She said slowly...."Wh...Wh....What did you do to your hair?" I said, "mommy I "relaxed" it, ALL BY MYSELF:D. She did this::lachen:, then asked me nicely to go wash my hair again.

So what's your story?

:lol: I did something similiar to you. I wanted to oil my hair like my mom did. So I got out the Royal Crown (which is very similiar to Vaseline) and got to work. I pretty much did what you did and coated my hair. I didn't realize she oiled my scalp, and only put a little on my hair.

I remember trying to be a trendsetter when I was about 10 and doing sideways pigtails. When I got to school the other kids were like why do you have a horn on your head? :blush:

:lachen:

Well...the day before the first day of school, my mother used to texlax my hair as well as my sister's. She would do one of us and then do the other while the first one's hair was air-drying. That day, I had to do mine first. So she finished my hair and then left me in the living room with instructions not to touch my hair and just to let it dry. As soon as she left, I took a fine-tooth comb and tried to make a "curl" with it, but I only succeeded in tangling the comb impossibly in my head. I tried to untangle it, but I couldn't. And then I heard my mom coming back to style my hair, so I panicked and cut the comb out of my hair with a pair of scissors, thinking that she wouldn't notice. :nono:

First, she :perplexed, then she :angry2:,and you know she :whipped::brucelee::spank:.

I have never been given such a beating in all my days. :lol:

Girl your story had me :lol: until you got out the scissors...ooh chil' I know your momma was so through!

Spit uh...that was just Grannie addin' some protein and moisture to you hair, chile. :lachen: I feel for ya on that one. I greased myself real good as a kid one time and my mother said, in disgust, it looked like a cat licked it! I was heart broken and very, very slick and shiny.:lachen:

:nono:I remember in 7th grade I thought that I had a handle on using the curling iron(the kind that you use on the stove), mistake!! I went to curl my bang and burned the entire thing off!!

Girl your story had me :lol: until you got out the scissors...ooh chil' I know your momma was so through!

Oh yes, she was....the next day, all the other little kids came running into the classroom and plopping into their chairs.
Then there was me...hobbling in and easing myself gently into my seat.
And my hair was looking crazy, because despite her best efforts, my mother just could not fix that mess.
My teacher was giving me the side eye all day. :rolleyes:

Back