Funny Childhood Hair Stories

In high school, while at home one day I bent over the stove to light a cigarette. No parents home, needless to say. Anyway, being the 80s I had the jheri curl and bangs. As I'm lighting the cigarette I smell something burning but it doesn't smell like the cigarette so I raise up just a little and I'm sniffing the air kind of like a dog sticking her nose out to sniff. I realize I've just burned the ends of my bangs. I sweep my hand through my hair and bits of burnt hair fly into the air. I think "OMG, my hair". Then I realize I"m fine and continue to smoke. Damn those blasted cigarettes.

Well I had a curl from when I was 6 to about 8 or 9 years-old. I was in the house playing with a lighter one day and my little Michael Jackson curls I had hanging down in the front of my face caught on fire. LOL! I had to hurry up and pat the fire out. My dad came in and said what is that smell? I finally told him and I got a whoopin. :-( Curls should have come with a warning pamphlet or something. FLAMMABLE!!!!

Whenever my mother used to run really low on funds, she would put off taking my brother to get a haircut for a long period of time. One time, it got to the point where I couldn't take looking at his hair like that, so I decided to give him a haircut. I got a pair of scissors & began to randomly cut different sections of his head. I wasn't going paying attention about keeping it even at all. I ended up cutting his hair down to his scalp on the right side.

As in the case of Tiffers's story, I don't have to tell you how it ends. He was six-years old, so I couldn't say that he did it.

When I was about 8, me and my sister decided to give ourselves makeovers :look:

We shaved off our eyebrows, cut our hair into bobs with bangs (using kitchen scissors) and covered our bodies in deoderant so we would smell good :perplexed

I don't think I need to tell ya'll the ending to this story :lachen:

I would not have shared this one :lachen::lachen: You're brave :lol:

Kids are crazy. Sometimes you look back and wonder wth was I thinking?

My mom/sister would do my hair in pigtails before school, and by the end of the day the front part of may hair was always out and flyaway (mom never used gel on my hair or dax... or jam!). So one day i got tired of this and lets just say I had a bald patch at the side of my head for a while. The next day mom went to comb my hair and she asked me "Did you cut your hair?" I answered indifferently "Yes.", then felt a slap.

ETA: if eyebrow hair counts, I shaved one off when I was about three (copying my mom shaping her eyebrows)

This thread is still alive?!! wow- just read all the stories again & they are still so funny!! :lachen: I'm sure we got some more stories out there.

OK I have another one- A lot of the little girls in my class already had a relaxer & my mother would not let me even press my hair. No matter how much I begged. So...I thought I would try it behind her back- of course. The only problem was that I didn't know how to do it and it's not like there were pressing combs in our house- I think that would have been a disaster. But I wanted straight hair so badly that I thought pressing hair- how different could it be from pressing clothes right? So I layed my hair on the ironing board & used a steaming hot iron. I got my hair straight the parts I could reach -but it was mostly the ends and all the roots were still natural. I wasn't that brave. My mom's mouth fell open in shock when she saw my hair- I could still see her face now :grin:. I think the shock & the grateful fact that I managed not to burn my face kept me from getting whipped that day. :)

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with hair stories.

I remember when I was 4 or 5 my mom had washed and cornrowed my hair and put beads at the ends. My mom was not the fastest braider, so she hadn't finished in the back. She stopped so she could make dinner.

I called my self helping her by greasing my scalp. But I was a little kid and didnt know what I was doing. I grabbed the jar of blue grease and literally globbed a hand full on my freshly washed and braided hair. I made no attempts to smooth it through or anything. I just went in the kitchen and was like " Look mommy, I'm helping you with my hair :D!" But I guess she didnt feel the love. She whooped me took my braids down and washed my hair. I think I learned my lesson cause to this DAY, I do not like greasing my scalp.

Hair stories are no just for girls. I remember my brother trying to line himself up when he was like 11. He snuck up in the attic with my gdad's beard trimmer. He must have held the clippers to his head before he turned them on, cause when the came on, he jerked and cut a patch of hair right out of the front of his head. :nono: He had a bald stop for a hot second. But get this.... :lachen: he tried to fill in the patch with my gma's MASCARA :lachen::lachen::lachen:
Needless to say, its didnt work and he looked :spinning: and was :sad: and :wallbash: until his hair grew back. I dont think my mom took him to get it fixed cause she told him beforehand not to use the trimmers.

I was like five or something, i always saw how my aunt used the blow dryer. So one day i took the the blow dryer and the "cepillo redondo" and started blowdrying my hair .. i don't know how many circles i made, but then the "cepillo" stucked in my hair, i started to cry and called my mom ... and she cutted my hair because she couldn't take it out either, and it was in the front of my head!!

I cut out a whole plait of hair ... from the front of my head.

abt age 4 or 5
my hair was in 4 plaits and I didnt like having my hair in my face so I just cut the bugger off. The only thing that stopped me cutting the other one was that I was staring at the long plait on the ground ..... then that sick feeling realizing that I had a hole in my hair

another time was abt 9 or 10 I thought it wud be cool to give myself highlights with peroxide .... ended up with bozo the clown orange hair

still another time when I was relaxed and it was the craze to shave those lines in ur side burns ... ugg, my sister and I went at it, but we couldnt get the lines staright and had to end up shaving allll the sideburns off way up into the hairline DWL

and this last one isnt even a childhood story LOL, when I went natural the first time ... back in 2000, I decided I was gonna try blow out my hair ... and I got the comb atatchment tangled up in my hair ... had to drive to the hairdresser with the comb atatchement sticking out my hair LOLOLOL

When I was 5 I was sent to bed, it was bed time i guess and I couldnt sleep. So I went to the bathroom soaked my head then plastered it with grease. I was soooo happy because it came out wavy. My dad was maaaad. I dont remember if I was spanked, I may have blocked it out.

I love how everyone was around 5.
Well when I was 4/5 I took my Grandma's sweat potato pies off the windowsill and "shampooed" my twin brothers hair with them..... OMG I don't think I was ever in soooooo much trouble.

who knew that when you're 10 yrs old & you pull natural hair down with your fingers and then cut you some bangs, when you let go it shrinks up so that your bangs are not where you thought they were...and you're left with shrunken bangs above your eyebrows that you try to slick down to your forehead (albeit, still above your eyebrows) with let's jam! except for the fact that it doesnt really work in the summer time, especially when your sweating in dance class...the jam just melts and drips down your face while your bangs shrink even more :look:

then one time i was like 9 or 10, and i had extension braids, and it was time to take them out, and i spent the night at my best friends house (she lived across the street) & she said she would help me take them out...so when she got the scissors i said i would cut some of the ends of the extension hair so it would unravel easier, and she said said she wanted to do it because "her scissors, her rules"...tell my why this lil girl cut out chunks of my hair!(i think she was jealous of my long thick luscious Rudy Huxtable hurr)... it went from BSB-ish to mostly uneven SL with random APL pieces! and then i had to lie to my mama talkin bout i accidentally cut it myself... :look::ohwell::perplexed:nono:

Oh I just remembered that I wanted my bangs to lay flat as a kid, so I found some mousse and put that on and was sooo happy with my stiff bangs. I just kept reapplying the mousse each day for a week. By that Saturday my hard dried brittle bangs had broken off to the new growth. I went FOREVER with about an inch of kinky curly hair at the top that couldn't even be brushed back into a pony tail. Oh and it doesn't help that I have a FIVEhead instead of a forehead. I needed those bangs!!!

Almost everyone's story is about how they messed their hair up when they were little, well my momma jacked me up :lachen:

When I was 6, my mom was doing my hair for school. She had a round brush and a blow dryer.....Somehow, she got the brush completely tangled all the way down to my scalp. :nono: I have no idea how she managed to do that. She started screaming and crying. My dad ran into the bathroom like someone was being murdered. He asked what was wrong, and she starts screaming, "I've ruined her!! She's gonna be bald for the rest of her life!!" Me being the studios child that I was, I didn't wanna be late for school. I'm like just cut it and let's go! My mom had to cut a 4x2 patch of my mbl hair outta my head. She cried for days. I was happy because I always wanted to cut my hair. To this day, the right side of my hair is always 1-2 inches shorter than the left.

My mother is a hair stylist and as a child she would give me her practice manaquin heads once she was finish with them. Once, I mixed flour with water and gave her a relaxer. I tried to rinse it out in the sink and it was a big mess. The flour turned to rubber and I never was able to get the mixture out of the hair.

Not a childhood story but years ago back in high school(as if i'm that old) but years ago, my friend decided that she wanted to be cute(which in my estimation she already is) went home and relaxed her eyebrows, came back to school following day all gleeful with brows straighter than a pin, a couple of days after both brows were gone:lachen::lachen:all gone! now this girl is clear skin and she took a black eyebrow pencil to fill them in she looked so ackward and stupid they took months to grow back. Naturally being caribbean ppl she got the cussing of her life from her mom. As if that wasn't enough when the brows grew back she decided to relax the hair on her legs......i tried this after too with no averse effects....lucky me!:grin:

Back