Funny Childhood Hair Stories

JinaRicci

OK- I am desperately trying not to jump back into that other thread- you know the one with the 5 yr old child/relaxer.. so I started thinking about how my mom dealt with my hair when I was little which was very diff than hers and started laughing when I remembered this:

My mom would only comb my hair when it was wet- she would shampoo, condition, rinse... then braid it in maybe 12 big braids and it would be set for the wk. Well, one time when I was 6, I discovered how much I liked the feel of vaseline on my cool scalp while my mom was greasing my wet hair (you know it was back in those days). So after my mom had spent hours doing my hair, I went back to the jar of vaseline and tried to get that same feeling but since my hair was already greased, I couldn't feel it anymore so I kept adding more & more grease until my hair was covered in vaseline. Well, you can imagine how that ended. :ohwell:
My mother had to wash my hair again- she wasn't happy- let's just say me neither. :lachen:

Anyone have any other stories that they want to share? Pls don't leave me hangin out here by myself.

i used 2 wear my hair braided with beads on the end allllllll the time. but one day my mom was doing my aunts hair in the kitchen earlier in the day and she left the scissors on the table. she had taken my braids down earlier so i had my freestyle fro. she turned her back to start cookin and i just started cutting. i cut a whole bunch of big ol bald spots. just as soon as i started 2 put the scissors down she turned around :nono: i just stared at her like look what i did mommy :grin:. she had a wooden spoon in her hand and then i had that "uh oh i'd better run moment" so i got up ran around the table and into my daddy's office and hid under his desk cuz i knew he would save me :lachen: so she comes in his office and he goes "what did she do now" and she goes she cut her hair and my daddy goes "leave the baby alone, its just hair it'll grow back" so she left. i didnt leave from that office til it was bedtime i wasnt takin noooooooooooo chances :lachen:

I unbraided my hair and taped and glued circles of orange construction paper into it so I could 'be' the girl from thundercats....

One time i was trying to cut my hair & a bang(you know the one that goes to the side:kiss3:) And i cut one side soooo perfectly, my mom called from work and asked what was i doing, i was like "......im cutting my hair" she said "Well if you mess up, it will be your ***":lachen:

So confident & happy i hung up, and i started to cut the other side, i turned for like 1 second and !!!!SNIP!!!!, i cut about 4in of hair:nono: I panicked and called my mom and said "Dont be mad..dont yell at me":lachen: Sooooo long story short, i messed up MY hair and i had to wear like a box cut the entire year:ohwell:

I have other stories but they are too long and i dont feel like typing right now:rolleyes: I'll come back later.

Easter Sunday when I was like 5 or 6. My mom pressed my hair for church. She wanted to add shirley temple curls to my hair but didn't have a curling iron. Don't you know this woman took a butter knife, heated the handle part of it (by placing it right on the stove's flame for a few secs) and made me some barrel curls with that same butter knife??! You had to see it to believe it- but my curls were SLAMMIN that Easter!!

Rest in Peace Mom...there was no one MORE creative than you were:lachen::lachen:

My mom was in the other room, so me and my older sister (ages 3&5) decided to play hair shop....... with a pair of scissors (dont know how we got a hold of them).....:look:

I was first in the chair (you know those lil plastic kiddy chairs you can get from the dollar store in different colors :grin:)...... after I was "finished" and it was her turn she wouldnt let me cut hers, although she had cut mine :ohwell:

The end result were two mohawks...... I think mine was the worse :nono:
Oh, yeah, and this :spank:

To make matters worse this was around Easter and we were already scheduled to take pictures so my mom just stuck big bows on top :lachen:

Last edited:
When I was 4 I decided that I wanted to cut my hair. My mom did 2 ponytails that day so I snuck into the bathroom with my mom's scissors and cut both ponytails LMAO Well when I saw what I did I freaked out and started screaming at the top of my lungs. I heard my mom running towards the door so I locked myself in the bathroom. My mom kept banging on the door and I wouldn't open it cuz I knew she was going to beat my a** good. The bathroom had an opening at the top and my father somehow climbed through it.

Of course my mom beat my a**. It took a few years to grow back. I look at my kindergarten pictures and laugh at the stubs I have for hair :lachen:

Oh- these stories are too funny!! I am dying laughing- thanks ladies- I really needed this. Why oh why did our moms ever leave us alone & with scissors too? LOL... keep em coming pls!

When I was 4 I took my ponytails down and called my self washing my hair. I filled my teacup with water and and drenched my head with it. I didn't like my scalp feeling all unclean...even then, but in my defense I thought I was saving my mama some time :D. Unfortunately my mother was ready to wack my hair COMPLETELY off due to the massive tangling that occurred afterward

Oh and when I was about 8, I was attempting to take down my braids. Well, one was tangled and I wasn't supposed to be taking them down anyway. Well my happy arse decided to cut on the tangle and ended up cutting off the whole braid...yeah. My mommy wasn't to pleased :nono:

When I was about 8, me and my sister decided to give ourselves makeovers :look:

We shaved off our eyebrows, cut our hair into bobs with bangs (using kitchen scissors) and covered our bodies in deoderant so we would smell good :perplexed

I don't think I need to tell ya'll the ending to this story :lachen:

Last edited:

We shaved off our eyebrows, cut our hair into bobs with bangs (using kitchen scissors) and covered our bodies in deoderant so we would smell good :perplexed

LMAO!:nono::lachen:

When we were about 7 my cousin decided to shave her legs. She slathered RELAXER on her legs and shaved with a razor! There were burns on her legs for weeks!!!

When we were about 7 my cousin decided to shave her legs. She slathered RELAXER on her legs and shaved with a razor! There were burns on her legs for weeks!!!

:blush: oh lawddddddd:lachen:

my sister kinda did the same thing except she wanted 2 wax her eyebrows so she used nair and burned one completely off

Wow:lachen:....:lachen:

No offense, but you'd still be in a coma if you were my child :lachen::lachen::lachen:

The summer I turned 7, my mom got sent TDY to Saudi Arabia. So that summer it was just me, my baby brother, and my step-dad. This all would've been well and good except my step-dad has nothing but boys and well, someone had to do my hair since my mom was gone. By this point in my life, my mom had learned how to do my hair despite the fact that I was tenderheaded and hated getting my hair combed. My step-dad, however, had no clue. The first time he tried to do my hair, it was awful. He tried to comb it and I cried (he didn't like that....I was such a daddy's girl back then). From that point on, when he'd do my hair he would put some Pink lotion on it, brush it, put it into my little ponytails, and send me on my way. I went the whole summer without getting my hair combed ladies!

So fast forward to when my mom returns from TDY....she starts to do my hair and begins to take out my ponytails. She learned very quickly that my hair had not been combed. She goes "what the hell?" and then calls for my step-dad. She asks him "did you comb Sharday's hair at all while I was gone?" and he goes " i tried to but she would cry." Lord, my mom went off on him..she was so mad! :lachen:

Needless to say, that was the worst day of my life. My mom combing through hair that hadn't been combed in 3 months is no fun for anyone.

my lil sister and i used to wear long sweaters on our head to pretend like we had "swanging" hair..

my mom made me get a jheri curl in the 7th grade :( i hated it so much, that she felt bad and tried to relax it shortly afterwards!!! thank god, i can say my hair grew completely back save a couple of thin spots behind my ears.

i think she's still feels guilty to this day....

when I was in 4th grade my mom saw an infomercial for a miraculous hair product called "Rio" (anyone remember Rio?:rolleyes:).
It came in the mail. She started givin me my "treatments".....
and sha-ZAM my hair fell out.
She gave me a fake ponytail to wear for the rest of the school year.

oh noo those stories are too FUNNY! :LACHEN:

i dont really have some of my own...except i used to clip a towel on my head and to a fierce catwalk.....:look: lol

oh but i remember when i was 7, a clear girl in my class had gum stuck in her hair(she was MBL if i remember correctly) the teacher barely tried to remove the gum and ended up CUTTING a huge chunk of her hair! :blush: she came back to school the next day with a chin lenght cut....... needless to say her hair was back to mbl in what.. a year?:rolleyes:

I had dookie braids and they were starting to look raggedy. To give my mom a break from having to redo them, I decided to help her out. Wherver the hair was sticking out, I got some kitchen scissors and cut the hair off. My hair looked so nice and neat. My mom took my hair down a few weeks later after commending me on keeping my hair looking so nice for so long (I usually messed it up in about 2 weeks). Well my mama didn't say NOTHING when she saw patches of hair fall to the durn floor. She just hit the crap outta me with whatever she could find. Switch and hand were flying everywhere. I had cut my hair in weird places so she couldn't even put it in my usual 2 ponytails. It took forever for that ish to grow out. I had to wear like 6-8 ponytails for the rest of the year.

tiffers dat is funny:lachen:

tori: that sounds painful :eek2:

fadaka :grin: my sisters and I used to do that except we used turtlenecks. lol

I don't have any stories to share about myself cause my mama was fierce and I feared that woman she woulda :spank:

lol but my nephew once tryna look cute for school shaved the a bald spot in the front of his head and took all his eyebrows off with Nair. lol The teacher called us and said, We just want to inform you that this did not happen at school. Now that he is a little older he looked at his school pic and said ya'll aint right, why you let me take a pic with no eyebrows and a bald spot...and why the heck was I smiling lol:lachen::lachen:

I rememebr Rio and I wanted to try it soooo bad (glad i didnt).
Well when i was about 8 i had these long box braids and i got tired of them itching me so i cut them off.
oh and when i was in the 7th grade i was getting ready for school and using one of those curling irons that you put on the stove anywho i burned my WHOLE bang off!

I remember my Mom pressing my hair with a hot comb on the stove. I would ask her a million questions while she pressed. "Mom will I be pretty when I grow up?"...she said yes. "Mom will I have long hair when I grow up?"...she said yes. It took hours because my hair was so thick and long. But I would feel like a princess when when got done. She would bump the ends with those curlers that rotate around ya know?

Love you Mommy...

:lachen: :lachen::lachen: omg.... Im laughin so hard the nurses walking pass the lab are looking at me funny (i'm the only one in here so I guess that explains why..:look: ) Tiffers that was funnnyyyyyyy..

anywho, one day, I was about 4 or 5. I was sitting in the living room floor, watching tv. I guess I called myself "giving myself a trim" ..went grabbed a pair of sissiors..and "TRIMMED" my hair.. needless to say one side of my hair was A LOT shorter then the other side. I had to get it evened up..which resulted in a bowl cut. Yeah.. that was cute...

Also, remember that gold spray that came in a can that you could just spray on ya hair? YEAH.. I had fun with that 2... smh

Back