Frustrated-I just spent 3 hours on my hair & it's a puffy mess! Need help naturals.

Ms Lala

Hey ladies,

I wanted to wear my hair straight for a Christmas show but it is a puffy mess! It is straight but is too puffy and has too much volume for me to wear it down. My ends are all crinkly, I couldn't even get them straight!

I just got a new flat iron (FHI) but I"m not sure if that's the problem or my technique. I"m going to just rock a bun for the Christmas show but I would appreciate tips because I want to try it again sometime soon. Here's what I did:

1) I washed my hair 2 days prior and I have been wearing under a head wrap. The day I styled it I just conditioned and rinsed w/cholesterol.
2) Next I detangled using a little Giovanni Direct. Then I blowdryed using a GoldnHOt w/comb attachment. I used IC Fantasia SErum while drying.
3) I flat ironed small sections of hair on about 400 degrees. I tried to get the ends straight using a small tooth comb but it didn't work.

I'm tempted to go back to the old school hot comb when I want my hair straight!

Re: Frustrated-I just spent 3 hours on my hair & it's a puffy mess! Need help natural

Now of course I'm no veteran but I just did a really good rollerset/flat iron & my hair is silky straight (can't tell that I don't have a relaxer) with lots of body. I scrubbed my scalp w/shikakai oil & did a prepoo w/amla oil. Then I washed w/my shikakai shampoo bar. Since it wasn't time for my DC, I did a regular conditioner (Hairveda's 24/7) & rinsed. When I got out of the shower, I put a little bit of Vatika & Giovanni's Leave-in on my hair & did a rollerset on somewhat large rollers for my length. I airdried some & then I got under a bonnet & dried on high (probably a no-no) for about 30-45 minutes. After my hair was dry I put on a satin bonnet & went to bed. The next morning I got up & flat ironed my hair on a 15 setting (my flat iron heat setting ranges from 0-20) with no additional products (probably another no-no) but my hair was so nice & straight, my husband came in the bathroom & lifted it up to look underneath b/c he suspected it wasn't real. Last night I put just a smidgen of Vatika on my ends & wrapped my hair up per I think her name is Sylver's instructions - i tied a silk scarf around my edges & then the hair that was left hanging out in the back, I placed a satin bonnet around that. I love how my hair was still bouncy this morning & not flat like it would've been if I had've wrapped it last night. HTH...

Re: Frustrated-I just spent 3 hours on my hair & it's a puffy mess! Need help natural

Now of course I'm no veteran but I just did a really good rollerset/flat iron & my hair is silky straight (can't tell that I don't have a relaxer) with lots of body. I scrubbed my scalp w/shikakai oil & did a prepoo w/amla oil. Then I washed w/my shikakai shampoo bar. Since it wasn't time for my DC, I did a regular conditioner (Hairveda's 24/7) & rinsed. When I got out of the shower, I put a little bit of Vatika & Giovanni's Leave-in on my hair & did a rollerset on somewhat large rollers for my length. I airdried some & then I got under a bonnet & dried on high (probably a no-no) for about 30-45 minutes. After my hair was dry I put on a satin bonnet & went to bed. The next morning I got up & flat ironed my hair on a 15 setting (my flat iron heat setting ranges from 0-20) with no additional products (probably another no-no) but my hair was so nice & straight, my husband came in the bathroom & lifted it up to look underneath b/c he suspected it wasn't real. Last night I put just a smidgen of Vatika on my ends & wrapped my hair up per I think her name is Sylver's instructions - i tied a silk scarf around my edges & then the hair that was left hanging out in the back, I placed a satin bonnet around that. I love how my hair was still bouncy this morning & not flat like it would've been if I had've wrapped it last night. HTH...

I should try rollersetting again, it always comes out too puffy when I do it. I just bought some bigger rollers to stretch my hair out so maybe I'll give it another try because I HATE blowdrying.

Had you not straightened in some time? Sometimes our hair is rebellious and skrong so the occassional straightening won't do anything. I found that out the hard way. Sometimes for me it is hit and miss and I don't know why since I generally do everything the same. There are times when I straighten and my hair is bouncin, silky, smooth and straight. Then there are other times when my hair looks like rats have been sucking on it :lachen:Maybe you need a flatiron with teef. My hair laughs at anything but a maxiglide.

Had you not straightened in some time? Sometimes our hair is rebellious and skrong so the occassional straightening won't do anything. I found that out the hard way. Sometimes for me it is hit and miss and I don't know why since I generally do everything the same. There are times when I straighten and my hair is bouncin, silky, smooth and straight. Then there are other times when my hair looks like rats have been sucking on it :lachen:Maybe you need a flatiron with teef. My hair laughs at anything but a maxiglide.

I agree with you, I use a maxiglide and a chi, and it gets relaxer straight. I use the maxiglide on the length of my hair and the chi for the roots.

I know what you mean about "puffy" hair, I was having the same problem until I found some Vatika oil. I think traditionally it's used on the scalp, I use it on my ends & throughout my hair, it was the missing link in my regime, try some, if you can't find Vatika, try a little coconut oil, a little goes a long way.

The perfect application for my hair is after I've put styling on my hair before I roller set. I know there's a thread that says heat and oil are bad for your hair, but I've tried it both ways, and just a little oil really helps and feels more protecting than sizzling. I keep putting Vatika on my ends to protect them until I wash again.

Deep condition the day before or day of . I mix any conditioner with Amla and deep condition for at least an hour under heat cap. Then I conditionwash. I section my hair in 4 puffs. I use paper towel to dab the buffs ..not bone dry(I believe this is a key point) but not dripping. I believe I obtain a better blow out when the hair is not bone dry to start. I then undo each section and rub a teaspoon of conditioner back in to each puff. I then apply a little coconut oil to each puff. I blow dry each section one puff at a time . Once the entire head is blown dry I rub some CHI silk through entire head of hair . Put hair in a high pony tail and section small piece ,flat iron from front to back. Slowly sliding over each section, 2 swipes per piece of hair. Hope that helps

unless the blowdrying got your hair mostly straight and poof-free, that might have been your culprit. when i airdry in braids and then straighten, i get much less volume... in fact i started blowdrying my hair and then flat-ironing so i would have more volume because i prefer big hair.

*the other ladies gave great advice too. hope you find what works best for ya! :grin:

unless the blowdrying got your hair mostly straight and poof-free, that might have been your culprit. when i airdry in braids and then straighten, i get much less volume... in fact i started blowdrying my hair and then flat-ironing so i would have more volume because i prefer big hair.

*the other ladies gave great advice too. hope you find what works best for ya! :grin:

I agree with Ladylibra regarding blowdrying, I am a 4a/b/c natural. I wear my hair straight 90% of the time. After DC'ing, my stylist usually braids my hair 10-12 braids and allows the hair to dry about 60%. Then he blows it try and flat irons afterwards. No one ever knows that I do not have a perm. Also, you may want to consider using Cocount Milk and lime juice as your conditioner to relax you curl pattern a little so that your hair will straighten out a little smoother.:wallbash: I learn that the hard way.

THe last time I used heat was August. I don't know if that was too long ago. What's annoying is that I gotten my hair straight before by flat ironing, I agree w/you it can be hit or miss. Maybe I'll try the Maxiglide

YOu know what I did a really quick blow dry. My hair was not straight and definitely puffy after blowdrying.

I attempted to straighten again and it was puffy!!! I think it's my blowdrying technique. I bought a maxiglide and it got my hair straight but it had way too much volume.

Back