from relax to natural

mzperkins

It's been 29 weeks since I had my last relaxer and yesterday I couldn't take the 2 differnet texture of hair so I had my daughter cut my hair or lets say relax ends (collar bone length) to a short afro with no shape or style and than had her give me a full sew in.
Question: how long can I wear the sew in (remy hair) and once I've take it out (1 1/2 to 2 months) should I go to a salon and have them shape/trim my hair to prevent damagae/breakage or can I just have my daughter put another sew in untill I'm ready to wear it as my every day hair/look?

Good luck on your natural journey. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but you might want someone to shape up your hair before you put your next install in. Just to make sure that all the relaxed parts are gone. I cut off my relaxed ends and didn't have a professional shape it for me, and now I have some hair fall due to my non-cutting skills.

Good luck on your natural journey. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but you might want someone to shape up your hair before you put your next install in. Just to make sure that all the relaxed parts are gone. I cut off my relaxed ends and didn't have a professional shape it for me, and now I have some hair fall due to my non-cutting skills.

Hair fall???

Congrats on going natural!

I was not ready to cut off my relaxed ends fully until 2 years into my transition.

I think you can wear a sew in for 2 months with no problems so long as you moisturize your hair underneath. I always had my weaves installed at the salon and my stylist would trim my hair before re-installing. Granted, I was still relaxed back then and I was not managing my own hair at all.

My daughter is a new license cosmetologist as of March 2011 who currently works at a weave shop. She hasn't worked with a lot of natural hair ladies so it's all new to her, but she did suggest that I go to my old hair stylist and have her do the look over and shape/trim it after I take out my weave.

Thanks everyone your answers have really be helpful and also given me the conformation I was unsure of.

Back