From jet black to lighter tresses!!!Help anyone??

Teja

Hey yalll!

I recently texlaxed my hair and did a semi permanent dye two weeks later(jet black)!
I will be strechting my next texlaxer till july so about 20 weeks I am trying to manipulate my hair as lil as possible and wear buns most of the time and use NO heat!
I really like my hair this color but I think for the summer I would like something a bit brighter!(P.s My mom keeps telling be that the jet black makes me look to harsh)
I have seen so many pretty bronze tones on this board and I think I wanna go for it, now to my question I am really scared cuz I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my healthy hair goals would you guys even recommend me dyeing my hair ??? Is it even possible going from black to bronze brown???
Any answers would help much !

It is possible to do it, but if you do PLEASE go to a professional. It will be more simple and your hair will thank you for it, it is worth the investment.

cosigning van. i'm watching the responses here cuz i want to lighten my hair up for the spring/summer as well.

Hey yalll!

I recently texlaxed my hair and did a semi permanent dye two weeks later(jet black)!
I will be strechting my next texlaxer till july so about 20 weeks I am trying to manipulate my hair as lil as possible and wear buns most of the time and use NO heat!
I really like my hair this color but I think for the summer I would like something a bit brighter!(P.s My mom keeps telling be that the jet black makes me look to harsh)
I have seen so many pretty bronze tones on this board and I think I wanna go for it, now to my question I am really scared cuz I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my healthy hair goals would you guys even recommend me dyeing my hair ??? Is it even possible going from black to bronze brown???
Any answers would help much !

Your hair health is the most important thing...I am sure some people wont agree with me but i don't recommend lightening your hair using peroxide if your hair is relaxed.

Your hair health is the most important thing...I am sure some people wont agree with me but i don't recommend lightening your hair using peroxide if your hair is relaxed.

How do you lighten up hair if you dont use peroxide??What other possibilities are there?Sorry I am a complete newbie to this !

I agree! My color has grown out and while I retained length with it, its not worth it unless you really want the color. I know myself, Im going to get bored with the color after a while and want my natural color back so there is no point in me dying it in the first place. I suggest you see how long the urge to highlight last. My urge died in a week. I did not dye and I am over it lol. I did see a thread on dying with cinnamon and I was going to do it but I like the contrast of my hair to my skin tone. The cinnamon looks pretty safe and one girl had great results keeping the cinnamon and conditioner on for 6 hours with plastic wrap.

Teja, I would recommend you get a few highlights but if you have to have it your most safe bet is to get tips. I have dyed my hair 3 times since 15. Two times were with tips and one was highlights. My hair thrived with tips but broke badly with highlights. At least with tips, its only on the last few inches of hair (one I got them on a few inches on the bottom and the other it was the from my ears down when I was apl).

There is a product called "Color oops". It is the only thing that i found to remove black hair dye without damaging my hair. I posted about this on another thread. I died my hair jet black using Bigen oriental black permanent hair color. I wanted to change to a lighter color I used this and it worked great. It removes the bond that holds the hair color to your hair. It doesn't work for those wild and crazy colors. But my hair is brown again. I used this about 7 months ago and my hair is still healthy.

Whatever you do, don't let them bleach your hair...

Maybe you should give Color Fix a try. I linked you to Folica's site. They have a lot of reviews on it.

I plan to use it this summer to get rid of permanently dyed black ends that I have from using Bigen, and then getting highlights. Good luck!

ETA: Sally's sells it as well.

Last edited:
It's kinda hard to find. Some walgreens have it. But you can try online. I got mine from a walgreens here in Chicago.

Thanks so much I will def try the color oops, it's just good to know that I do have options if I decide to go lighter!

You said you used jet black in a SEMI perm color right??? Correct me if I'm wrong. If so, that color will fade by summer on its own and you will be able to do whatever color you want at the time.

How do you lighten up hair if you dont use peroxide??What other possibilities are there?Sorry I am a complete newbie to this !

I know peroxide and bleach are both very harsh on relaxed hair...I know i wanted highlights a year ago and my stylist insisted i did not do that by showing me HER Broken hightlights....I know there are pleaple outthere that are ok with peroxide but i wouldnt do it.

Teja, what is your natural hair color?

The semi permanent will come out on its own. You can use a product like Color Oops to help speed that process along but if you want lighter hair, we need to know your natural color.

If you natural color is a dark brown, you would probably have to lift atleast 2 levels to get the bronzy look you talk about.

A lot of semi-permanent colors in dark colors, i.e. black, really dark brown, never fully wash out of the hair and when trying to lighten over them the hair doesn't "lift". I know this is true with Natural Instincts.

Whatever you do, don't let them bleach your hair...

Maybe you should give Color Fix a try. I linked you to Folica's site. They have a lot of reviews on it.

I plan to use it this summer to get rid of permanently dyed black ends that I have from using Bigen, and then getting highlights. Good luck!

ETA: Sally's sells it as well.

I tried this about 1.5 yrs ago, it didn't damage my hair and I was happy with it. My natural color is a dull black, close to dark brown and I achieved that color with Color Fix. I lost the courage to dye my hair lighter, I was planning on doing a copper brown with honey hi-lites. I missed my dark black hair and went back to Bigen, lol. I bought mine from Sally's. HTH!

Back