From jan 2005 issue of Allure Mag....

UmSumayyah

Here's some more motivation for all you "no heat" challengers. :D

Before styling hair iwith a curling iron or heated rollers, it's important to dry it throroughly, according to a study in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science. Even then, some damage is probably inevitable. When Yash Kamtath, research director of the Textile Research Institute in Princeton, NJ, treate4d dry hair with a curling iron, he observed microscopic cracks in the fibers.
Thermal treatment on wet hair had the same effect, but in addition, the steam caused bubbling and buckling of the cuticle. "Wet hair swells and deforms more, and bending the fiber under this condition can cause damage," Kamath says. The smaller the diameter of the curling iron or roller--and thus the greater bending of hair--the higher the extent of injury. Kamath recommends staying within the manufacturer's specified time frame and rolling hair gently, not tightly. Flatirons generally cause more damage than curling irons because they heat hair at a higher temperature, he adds.

UmSumayyah said:
Here's some more motivation for all you "no heat" challengers. :D

Thermal treatment on wet hair had the same effect, but in addition, the steam caused bubbling and buckling of the cuticle. "Wet hair swells and deforms more, and bending the fiber under this condition can cause damage," Kamath says. The smaller the diameter of the curling iron or roller--and thus the greater bending of hair--the higher the extent of injury. Kamath recommends staying within the manufacturer's specified time frame and rolling hair gently, not tightly. Flatirons generally cause more damage than curling irons because they heat hair at a higher temperature, he adds.[/I]

Wow, thanks for that info! I've been guilty of sizzling wet hair in the past, but I'm glad I've been heat free for a while now.

This is all I needed to hear. I won't ever return to direct heat...EVER. I really do think I can live with out it. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! Scary! Makes not want to look at my flat iron again! Probably the reason I have been suffering from splits, bubbles and hexagon ends!

Thanks for putting the word out there sis. I am serious on this heat thing...I cannot risk it. It is now my mission to find a straight style for natural hair for those rare occasions that I want to switch up...but WITHOUT HEAT! I know my hair and it would melt like a cheap plastic spoon on a hotplate! It is my mission to find it and journal it in my album should I be able to do it. If it has to have heat though...then nappy and happy I will be!

Last edited:
Thanks for this info. I know I read somewhere that it was better to hot curl or press hair that is slightly damp. I'm going to find the the publication and let you guys know. It was definitely in one of my hair books.

Either way, this will definitely help keep me on track with the no-heat challenge starting Jan. 1!!!!

Back