Frequent no poo'ers...Water, Friend or Enemy?

Irresistible

Frequent no poo\'ers...Water, Friend or Enemy?

Ive talked to a few natural frequent no poo'ers recently and some do a no poo rinse every day or a few times a week....when i was first natural i did this and it wreaked havoc on my hair...i know that its said now after years of thinking that water was the enemy to our hair, that now its the greatest moisturizer....what do ya'll think?

i personally dont think it is....i no poo , i was no poo'in before i knew what no poo'in was lol...but i dont do it as often as im hearing others are doing it. i wear wet styles while wearing my hair natural every single day but i wet it up with light leave in conditioners in place of water, like african pride and always 911, this has turned out to be so much better for my hair, alot less dryness and alot more manability...i believe that the water usage for some frequent no poo'ers can really cause major dryness in the long run....anybody's thoughts on this?

Re: Frequent no poo\'ers...Water, Friend or Enemy?

I was gonna ask this, my stylist said to me the just the other day that the dry area on my scalp is because I wash my hair too frequently (weekly) and that I should wash my hair ONCE A MONTH! I am sceptical because:

1. Before I switched to washing my hair every week (used ot be every two weeks), I still had problems with flakes

2. I don't use a shampoo that contains SLS

3. I rarely use heat

Mind you my hair does feel dry if I do wash my hair more often than weekly. Hmm we'll see...

[ QUOTE ]
Daughter said:
I was gonna ask this, my stylist said to me the just the other day that the dry area on my scalp is because I wash my hair too frequently (weekly) and that I should wash my hair ONCE A MONTH! I am sceptical because:

1. Before I switched to washing my hair every week (used ot be every two weeks), I still had problems with flakes

2. I don't use a shampoo that contains SLS

3. I rarely use heat

Mind you my hair does feel dry if I do wash my hair more often than weekly. Hmm we'll see...

[/ QUOTE ]

have you tried using Jojoba oil for the dry scalp? ive heard thats most like our natural sebum and supposed to be excellent for dry scalp...some folks really can go that long without washing if they have no scalp issues , and depending on their lifestyle like working out etc. maybe try two weeks plus using Jojoba oil on your scalp...that might help...its so much drama and work to actually wash my hair im trying to do as least often as possible lol...so i stretch it ooooutttt!! with conditioner washes when i feel like it.

I don't think the water is the enemy. I think it is the manipulation involved in frequent washing that is a problem, and it depends on the length of the hair. If the hair is relatively short, frequent no-pooing might be allright, but if the hair is somewhat longer, it is more prone to tangles and knots and all the manipulation leads to hair breakage.

Thanks for bringing it over here to the board Iris:) I haven't washed since Monday, and I think this is the longest I've gone so far...one thing I've noticed, is that my hair is longer than I realized. It's almost driving me crazy not to wash it, although I haven't any problems yet. We'll see.

I tried the frequent no-pooing for a while last year, and since my hair shrinks quite a bit, I just ended up with a lot of knots. Then I would have to goop my hair up with a lot of product to hold in the moisture. It was too much manipulation & shrinkage for my strands. Also, since moving into a place with hard water, water is more of an enemy. I'm down to washing once a week with braids, and I'll only wash once a week once they come out.

[ QUOTE ]
Daughter said:
I should wash my hair ONCE A MONTH!

[/ QUOTE ]
nono.gif

[ QUOTE ]
annointedaka said:
Thanks for bringing it over here to the board Iris:) I haven't washed since Monday, and I think this is the longest I've gone so far...one thing I've noticed, is that my hair is longer than I realized. It's almost driving me crazy not to wash it, although I haven't any problems yet. We'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can do it B!!! did you get some of the leave in??

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
I tried the frequent no-pooing for a while last year, and since my hair shrinks quite a bit, I just ended up with a lot of knots. Then I would have to goop my hair up with a lot of product to hold in the moisture. It was too much manipulation & shrinkage for my strands. Also, since moving into a place with hard water, water is more of an enemy. I'm down to washing once a week with braids, and I'll only wash once a week once they come out.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly , i think that products wont work as well because of all the water usage you need more and your hair just drinks it up and the products dont get a chance to do what they are supposed to....IMO i think allowing for some product build up = more managable and less dry hair...then of course when the build up gets to where its too much, then you wash or conditioner wash.

I notice my hair gets dry and hard when I no poo everday?

Do you who no poo less frequently suggest just using a light leavin ( such as african pride) ever day?

Do you spray until the hair is damp? or really wet? Then what do you do after...do you style...shake and go?

How often do you no poo with this regimen?

I do the shampoo every 3 days and I deep condition. But more important, I have really tweaked the method and the products. I do a hot oil treatment overnight with evo. I add emu oil (pure white thick 100%) to my shampoo, (Biolage moisturizing shampoo).... do an avc rinse, and to my protein conditioner I add essential oils, castor oil, and emu oil and honey and go under the heat cap. I follow up with a moisturizing treatment that contains honey, avocado or yogurt or a moisturizing conditioner to which I add a natural relaxing balm (made from herbs). As well I do a monthly henna treatment with shikakai and amla included. What has worked for me is that I put back more moisture than I take out, and my hair has never looked or acted better. As well, I add moisturizing agents to every thing I do to my hair. It is very easy to comb through. And often I rinse out on a daily basis for 2 weeks out of a month depending on the dryness in the air. I ahampoo in the shower and since I do not have soft water yet, I use a portable pitcher filter to make soft water to do my final rinses. I live in a very cold climate in the winter. I have been doing this for several months and it gets better as time passes. Less dryness overtime. No breakage, and no shedding and my ends are marvelous. Hope this continues. Hope this helps. Bonjour

I do the shampoo every 3 days and I deep condition. But more important, I have really tweaked the method and the products. I do a hot oil treatment overnight with evo. I add emu oil (pure white thick 100%) to my shampoo, Biolage moisturizing shampoo.... do an avc rinse, and to my protein conditioner I add essential oils, castor oil, and emu oil and honey and go under the heat cap. I follow up with a moisturizing treatment that contains honey, avocado or yogurt or a moisturizing condtioner to which I add a natural relaxing balm (made from herbs). As well I do a monthly henna treatment with shikakai and amla included. What has worked for me is that I put back more moisture than I take out, and my hair has never looked or acted better. As wll, I add moisturizing agents to every thing I do to my hair. It is very easy to comb through. And often I rinse out on a daily basis for 2 weeks out of a month depending on the dryness in the air. I live in a very cold climate in the winter. I have been doing this for several months and it gets better as time passes. Less dryness overtime. No breakage, and no shedding. Hope this helps. Bonjour
smile.gif

I wonder what your water quality is like for those that experienced dryness with frequent washing?

[ QUOTE ]
Shinka said:
I notice my hair gets dry and hard when I no poo everday?

Do you who no poo less frequently suggest just using a light leavin ( such as african pride) ever day?

Do you spray until the hair is damp? or really wet? Then what do you do after...do you style...shake and go?

How often do you no poo with this regimen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally soak my hair or just dampen it depending on what i feel like and then i no poo whenever i feel like i need it....and i wear my usual ole ponytail

[ QUOTE ]
Mahalialee4 said:
I do the shampoo every 3 days and I deep condition. But more important, I have really tweaked the method and the products. I do a hot oil treatment overnight with evo. I add emu oil (pure white thick 100%) to my shampoo, (Biolage moisturizing shampoo).... do an avc rinse, and to my protein conditioner I add essential oils, castor oil, and emu oil and honey and go under the heat cap. I follow up with a moisturizing treatment that contains honey, avocado or yogurt or a moisturizing conditioner to which I add a natural relaxing balm (made from herbs). As well I do a monthly henna treatment with shikakai and amla included. What has worked for me is that I put back more moisture than I take out, and my hair has never looked or acted better. As well, I add moisturizing agents to every thing I do to my hair. It is very easy to comb through. And often I rinse out on a daily basis for 2 weeks out of a month depending on the dryness in the air. I ahampoo in the shower and since I do not have soft water yet, I use a portable pitcher filter to make soft water to do my final rinses. I live in a very cold climate in the winter. I have been doing this for several months and it gets better as time passes. Less dryness overtime. No breakage, and no shedding and my ends are marvelous. Hope this continues. Hope this helps. Bonjour

[/ QUOTE ]

good lawd thats alot to go through..i get the same results by not strippin it with all the water

[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:
I wonder what your water quality is like for those that experienced dryness with frequent washing?

[/ QUOTE ]

girl dont nobody's water comes out the tap chemical free...water isnt a good moisturizer at all...its all the stuff we use with it that makes the water ok...try using even the best water everyday on your hair without all the products to put back in what the water took out and see if your hair aint a wreck...thats my point...folks are saying water is the best moisturizer and i really just dont see it that way . or at least my hair doesnt.

without all the products that we use to compensate...point taken. I cannot speak for anyone else, but not using water a lot, and using next to nothing...messed my hair up big time too and there were serious medical reasonss beyond my control and to keep from being bald I have had to do a lot of compensating. Currently, as a result of much intervention, my hair is natural, fine and but tangles easily, needs strenghing support to bear weight...cannot be just "left", it still needs more supporand water than yours.. Now if might be fine if you never had damaged hair to start with. But I had to rebuild my hair from total scratch.What went on had to come off. You should have seen what I had to rebuild from... Now once I get it to a certain point...I will do the very minimal. But up till now I have had to work my but off!..by the way IB you hair is beautiful and so are you.
wink.gif
Bonjour

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:

[/ QUOTE ]

girl dont nobody's water comes out the tap chemical free...water isnt a good moisturizer at all...its all the stuff we use with it that makes the water ok...try using even the best water everyday on your hair without all the products to put back in what the water took out and see if your hair aint a wreck...thats my point...folks are saying water is the best moisturizer and i really just dont see it that way . or at least my hair doesnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that wasn't my point.
smirk.gif
If someone frequently uses water that has a very high mineral content it will eventually damage the hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Mahalialee4 said:
without all the products that we use to compensate...point taken. I cannot speak for anyone else, but not using water a lot, and using next to nothing...messed my hair up big time too and there were serious medical reasonss beyond my control and to keep from being bald I have had to do a lot of compensating. Currently, as a result of much intervention, my hair is natural, fine and but tangles easily, needs strenghing support to bear weight...cannot be just "left", it still needs more supporand water than yours.. Now if might be fine if you never had damaged hair to start with. But I had to rebuild my hair from total scratch.What went on had to come off. You should have seen what I had to rebuild from... Now once I get it to a certain point...I will do the very minimal. But up till now I have had to work my but off!..by the way IB you hair is beautiful and so are you.
wink.gif
Bonjour

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you sweetie and girl honestly i grew from scratch too and didnt have enough hair to fit into a pony tail when i started and it was all damaged and broken...and ive been through MAJOR thinning due to illness( lost over half of the thickness of my hair) and i know when you come from that we tend to treat our strands with extra tender loving care...im just frustrated cause although i know every head of hair is different , ive been doin this for a while now and have tried it all and the "in" thing now is to constantly put water in the hair and folks say its the greatest moisturizer and alot of folks come back saying their hair is dry and struggling in one way or another...and i reallly really believe its the over usage of water and folks are getting conflicting messages...i know for a fact that constantly wetting my hair was not moisturizing it all...even with the products i put back in...it was taking too much out of it...i just hate to see folks go through all that...when there is one simple answer. just dont go to the extreme with it...i found that replacing some of the regular water usage with a watery type consistency leave in for a wet style saved my hair...if it aint broke dont fix it...if your hair is doing well then dont change...but if its dry or giving you trouble(any of you) then all im saying is it might be the overusage of water that they told you was so good for your hair...but im glad to hear you came back from the problem you had and your hair is doing well....i dont wanna hurt nobody, i just wanna help.

[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But that wasn't my point.
smirk.gif
If someone frequently uses water that has a very high mineral content it will eventually damage the hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

somebody needs to tell all these newly naturals that "water is the best moisturizer if it doenst have high mineal content or isnt hard and if it comes from a bottle or filter" somehow they leave that info out. and people's hair pay the price for it...but "for me" since really im only trying to wear a wet style and have my hair moisturized at the same time , instead of pouring water bottles over my head , i pour leave in , in it instead. its softer and more moisturizing than plain water any day....just trying to share what helped me for those that want wet hair everday....not to mention when your hair gets to a certain point and it dries slower and you dont blow dry...you get mold/mildew smell with water, not with leave in

I appreciate your concern IB, and where your heart is at in this thing. Everything is not for everybody. What I had to do, is not saying that it is something everyone else should do. I am not a new natural but I can see that some may unknowingly over do it. That is what is good about this board...Everyone including yourself wants to see everyone succeed in their hair goals and achieve better hair health. therefore YOUR CONCERNS AND CAUTIONS ARE VERY IMPORTANT AND QUITE ACCURATE...I am sure that they are recognized and appreciated. I know that I do. In general I believe in moderation in all things and I believe that this is what you are saying. Protein is good for the hair but overdoing it can kill your hair. As a licensed stylist who only treats to repair damaged hair for many years I can understand this but for me at the time radical reasons required radical measures, giving my hair what it needed at the time. Down the road I will probably have a regimen just like yours.
smile.gif
I will stress that I believe that people are individuals and so is their hair so the one stop method, I do not present to anyone. We have very hard water here where I live with lots of iron in the water and it often carries a heavy oily film, so I try to compensate for that by never drinking it,and using stored water in the shower that has been purified until I get my central water treatment and softener installed which will be quite expensive. In the meantime a girl has got to do what a girl has got to do...because we cannot even trust the rainwater here! Anyway...IB I can tell that you will be a long time asset to the board and a support to all. Bonjour

[ QUOTE ]
Mahalialee4 said:
I appreciate your concern IB, and where your heart is at in this thing. Everything is not for everybody. What I had to do, is not saying that it is something everyone else should do. I am not a new natural but I can see that some may unknowingly over do it. That is what is good about this board...Everyone including yourself wants to see everyone succeed in their hair goals and achieve better hair health. therefore YOUR CONCERNS AND CAUTIONS ARE VERY IMPORTANT AND QUITE ACCURATE...I am sure that they are recognized and appreciated. I know that I do. In general I believe in moderation in all things and I believe that this is what you are saying. Protein is good for the hair but overdoing it can kill your hair. As a licensed stylist who only treats to repair damaged hair for many years I can understand this but for me at the time radical reasons required radical measures, giving my hair what it needed at the time. Down the road I will probably have a regimen just like yours.
smile.gif
I will stress that I believe that people are individuals and so is their hair so the one stop method, I do not present to anyone. We have very hard water here where I live with lots of iron in the water and it often carries a heavy oily film, so I try to compensate for that by never drinking it,and using stored water in the shower that has been purified until I get my central water treatment and softener installed which will be quite expensive. In the meantime a girl has got to do what a girl has got to do...because we cannot even trust the rainwater here! Anyway...IB I can tell that you will be a long time asset to the board and a support to all. Bonjour

[/ QUOTE ]

im glad you understand what i was trying to say and the protein analogy was a good one...im glad what your doing is working and your right everybody's hair is different...my main real point is that water in and of itself is not much of an actual moisturizer alone and in fact can be the opposite....the reason i dragged others into this , is mostly because i wanted some input from others about it..for those frequent no poo'ers that i was talking about..i didnt want to be the only one telling them that the constant use of water might be causing a problem. the thread didnt turn out exactly how i hoped lol...but its ok, the point was made. i would never suggest anyone stop what IS working for them already , only to take a look at water possibly being the problem when they are having a problem. thank you for your kind words and once again im glad that what you have done and are doing is working well for you....but whew thats alot of work....im glad its paying off for you though and i know you will be glad when you can start to minimize some of it.

[ QUOTE ]
Mahalialee4 said:
We have very hard water here where I live with lots of iron in the water and it often carries a heavy oily film

[/ QUOTE ]

nono.gif
Absolutely disgusting. Heavy oily film?
barf.gif

what everyone seems to be forgetting is some folx activity levels. IF you live a rather sedentary lifestyle, then i think you'll be straight with no 'pooing whenever it's convenient for you (ex; just to remove product build up), but IF you're an active person (and sweat a lot too), that's no good for your scalp, and by extension, your hair. just my 0.02 cents. gotta pick between two evils, itchy scalp or hair that's watered down every day.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
have you tried using Jojoba oil for the dry scalp? ive heard thats most like our natural sebum and supposed to be excellent for dry scalp...some folks really can go that long without washing if they have no scalp issues , and depending on their lifestyle like working out etc. maybe try two weeks plus using Jojoba oil on your scalp...that might help...its so much drama and work to actually wash my hair im trying to do as least often as possible lol...so i stretch it ooooutttt!! with conditioner washes when i feel like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only ever used jojoba oil mixed with the olive oil as a hot oil treatment. Never thought of using it directly on the scalp! Should I mix it with something else to dilute it?.

I feel you about drama... I tried more than once a week but I can't get with it - weekly suits me just fine for washing my hair
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Daughter said:
I should wash my hair ONCE A MONTH!

[/ QUOTE ]
nono.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I know, I was surprised, she normally gives sound advice when it comes to hair. When I used to wear it permed, under her care it was transformed from broken, limp and lifeless to healthy lookin' locks! but once a month??!!

She also recommended I use a lotion called "Top Brass", it says on the box "Anit Dandruff Hairgroom). I've not used it yet and am scared of the ingredients!!!

Irresistible, I'm inclined to believe with the water quality most of us have that it is the enemy, especially if done to frequently. At first daily washing was doing my hair a world of good, then it seemed no matter what it was always dry, even with using distilled water as a final rinse. I've toned it down a notch and my hair fares much better.

*bump*

IB - Thanks for the tip about using a watery leave-in in place of water for a wet style. I've been trying this out this past week and it's worked wonderfully. My hair seemed really moisturized. I still just worry about buildup but that's probably just paranoia!

[ QUOTE ]
joyous said:
Irresistible, I'm inclined to believe with the water quality most of us have that it is the enemy, especially if done to frequently. At first daily washing was doing my hair a world of good, then it seemed no matter what it was always dry, even with using distilled water as a final rinse. I've toned it down a notch and my hair fares much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here, it really helped my hair to tone down the water usage

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
*bump*

IB - Thanks for the tip about using a watery leave-in in place of water for a wet style. I've been trying this out this past week and it's worked wonderfully. My hair seemed really moisturized. I still just worry about buildup but that's probably just paranoia!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are welcome, im glad it helped you out girl...dont worry about build up with the watery type leave in..its very minimal and washes/rinses out easily....i dont even clarify girl, i mean as in ever. so trust me it wont become a problem...unless your using other things with it that might cause it.

Back