Frequent no poo'ers...Water, Friend or Enemy?

Re: Frequent no poo\'ers...Water, Friend or Enemy?

Thanks for bringing this up, Irresistable. I'm going to try the watery leave-in soon.

I think that it depends on the water temperature too. Isn´t hot or too warm water an enemy to your skin because natural oils are washed out? So I guess with hair it must be the same
scratchchin.gif

I really, really like water. I have found that water is essential to keeping my hair soft and moisturized.

Water is the ONLY source of moisture. All other products are meant to keep the moisture level of your hair high by drawing in water from the atmosphere, trapping the water in, or adding water themselves. Those are what leave-ins do, and the first ingredient of most leave-ins is water.

I find that my hair benefits greatly if I make sure to keep its moisture level high. I do this in 2 ways.
1. Once or twice a week. (I currently do this once a week. I may start doing it twice a week, because I love the results.) I dampen my hair well with water by spraying water in from my spray bottle. Not wet, not dry, but very damp. I then put in olive oil generously as a base and my deep conditioner. Comb through w/ my K-Cutter. I then sleep on this overnight. In the morning, I do a conditioner wash and rinse my hair out very well.

I am left with hair that retains moisture, and as I do this overtime my hair becomes more and more moisturized and soft naturally. At the minute, my hands are in my hair because I can't stop playing with it. I don't wash my hair without doing this. I am thinking of adding an ACV rinse to this regimen though.

2. I keep a spray bottle filled with water and mist any sections of my hair that seem dry. Sometimes I don't need to do this. Sometimes I mist a few times a day.

My main goal is to put water in my hair AND keep it there. Doing a conditioner wash every day or every other day left my hair feeling dry and getting tangled easily the minute that the water evaporated. The water simply did not stay in my hair with the constant wetting. Even when my hair was wet, it felt worse and it took longer to get it wet! But the deep conditioning/oiling strongly increases my hair's ability to hold water. And the more water my hair can hold, the better. I always think my hair is at its strongest, sheeniest, and softest when my hair and my scalp are well moisturized.

I also think that a C/O wash is good for the scalp because of the stimulation. It feels so good to get a scalp massage or to comb your scalp. I think incorporating this into your regime and always making sure to keep your hair moisturized would give you all the benefits of frequent C/O washing with less time spent. Unfortunately, I have been very inconsistent with my desire to do just 3-5 minutes a day of scalp masssage. I never do them, but whenever I do, I love the effect.

Sorry to butt in but what is "no pooing?" I'm new. Help me out girls.

No poo or "no shampoo" is just a method of washing the hair without shampoo, using conditioner-only (CO)

Hope This Helps (HTH)
grin.gif

Thanks soulchild

Wash your hair only with conditioner! Why and how and how often? ummm...guess I better do a search in here, among allllllll these posts to find out the scoop.

[ QUOTE ]
Chimma said:
I really, really like water. I have found that water is essential to keeping my hair soft and moisturized.

[/ QUOTE ]

girl i guess it goes back to all of our heads are different, cause constant water usage jacked my hair up and got much better when i cut the usage some. my leave in is a liquid herbal complex the main ingredient is not water, in fact it doesnt even say water on it. in the end everyone should just do what works for them, i found what works for me after years of being at this, thank God. was just sharing it with others

[ QUOTE ]
Trica said:
Thanks soulchild

Wash your hair only with conditioner! Why and how and how often? ummm...guess I better do a search in here, among allllllll these posts to find out the scoop.

[/ QUOTE ]

the main purpose of washing with conditioner is to not strip the hair of moisture like most shampoos do....the conditioner works as well as shampoo to get your hair and scalp clean. when used and done right. you can do conditioner washes as often as you would wash your hair with any shampoo...untill you feel the need to do a reg shampoo. it doesnt necessarily work for everyone. but it has worked for me (and others) for years . i guess it depends on possible scalp issues and whether your hair and scalp do well with it.

Irresistible...what's in your herbal mixture? Also, how do you keep your hair shiny after it dries?

Motowngrl's site has some info on conditioner washes. Do a search on google.com for motowngrl.

Everyone does it differently, but feel free to PM me w/any questions.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Irresistible...what's in your herbal mixture? Also, how do you keep your hair shiny after it dries?

[/ QUOTE ]

girl the African Pride , its a herbal liquid complex. and it has aloe vera, and and other stuff in it...too much to type out the ingredients right now(too tired) but when you get a chance pick up a bottle and read the ingredients, its mostly all herbal. and doesnt even list water. my hair stays shiny because of the oils, or butters (and occasionaly grease) i use with it. for me its when i use plain water that it dries looking and feeling dryer and frizzier and doesnt keep the shine.... ive used african pride or always 911 to wet my hair in place of plain water for years for daily styling when i havent just washed it. they are both good.

Here are the ingredients to African Pride Leave-In Conditioner:

Leave-in Conditioner:
African Pride Herbal Complex [Water, Indian Hemp Extract, Nettle Extract, Rosemary Extract, Burdock Extract, Birch Extract, Dong Rose Hips Extract, Carrageenan (Irish Moss) Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Dandelion Extract, Horsetail Extract, Coneflower (Echinacea Perpurea) Extract, Sambucus Nigra Extract], Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-10, Shea Butter, Propylene Glycol, Oleth-20, Polyquaternium-47, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea.

Water is my friend. Last summer I no-pooed every day and my hair thrived. This summer I plan to do the same thing, even though my hair is longer this year. I did notice when I no-pooed and did not moisturize properly, my hair was dry after only a day. Now that I use another moisturizer that is easier to distribute, I do not think I will have that problem.

I like going longer (i.e. 2-3 times a week) and that has been working fine for me, but I like having a fresh 'fro everyday. Also, I work out regularly, so I'm trying to keep away the itchy gunky scalp.

[ QUOTE ]
NGC said:

Leave-in Conditioner:
African Pride Herbal Complex [Water, Indian Hemp Extract, Nettle Extract, Rosemary Extract, Burdock Extract, Birch Extract, Dong Rose Hips Extract, Carrageenan (Irish Moss) Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Dandelion Extract, Horsetail Extract, Coneflower (Echinacea Perpurea) Extract, Sambucus Nigra Extract], Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-10, Shea Butter, Propylene Glycol, Oleth-20, Polyquaternium-47, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you NGC you are the bomb diggity girl, cause i shole was too tired to type all that out
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
NGC said:

Leave-in Conditioner:

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you NGC you are the bomb diggity girl, cause i shole was too tired to type all that out
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

but here is the trip on my bottle it doesnt say water at all , the first ingredient is indian hemp and all the rest that you typed, not kidding either....thats weird.
ohwell.gif

but oh well, it still works better on my hair than reg water usage, dats all i know
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
NGC said:

Leave-in Conditioner:

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

but here is the trip on my bottle it doesnt say water at all , the first ingredient is indian hemp and all the rest that you typed, not kidding either....thats weird.
ohwell.gif

but oh well, it still works better on my hair than reg water usage, dats all i know
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

actually girl thats a whole other kind, cause mine has other ingredients like aloe vera and collagen and others not listed here. hmmmmm guess there are different kinds

Back