for those with texturized/wavy hair

Brownie

Hello! How soon do you notice your new growth? With my wavy hair, I hardly ever see the new growth until 12 plus weeks after my touch up, and then I see a lot. It's like 2-3 inches show up overnight.

It's also hard for me to judge how long my hair's getting because it shrinks up A LOT--A whole lot. Every night after rinsing my hair out, I try to stretch the ends to see the growth, but I can't see anything, and I can't completely straighten the waves out. It's flustrating because I don't know if everything is working, until touch up time, which won't be for another 2-2 1/2 months.

Anyway, are other texturized/wavy people having these same problems? Is your new growth playing hide and seek?

I was wondering the same thing. I can't tell where the new growth starts. It's a combination between that and the MSM. The new growth blends right with the texturized hair. I primarily wear my hair in braidouts and I'll see how much it's grown when I "treat" myself next week and straighten my hair after 4 weeks and measure.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Brownie said:
How soon do you notice your new growth?

[/ QUOTE ]
When I get my hair straightened (roller set and wrap), my new growth is wavy and a little frizzy, which is how I notice my new growth. I had to straighten my hair this past Sunday because I'm getting a relaxer touch up on Saturday. I always get my hair straightened about a week before I get a relaxer touch up, so my stylist won't have any problems noticing my new growth. It helps her out quite a bit.

I can't tell the difference between the new growth either. That's good in a way because it means that I can go a while between touch ups.

CurlyCrly said:
I can't tell the difference between the new growth either. That's good in a way because it means that I can go a while between touch ups.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you stylist (or whoever does your relaxer touch ups) tell the difference? You want to make sure they don't overlap when it's time for a relaxer touch up.

Even though my hair is texturized I can tell because 1) I keep track on a calendar and 2) my shampoo comb outs start to become difficult as time progresses. I shampoo and blow dry three days prior to my touch up. By then my new growth is showing big time.
smile.gif

Hi Brownie,

Like you, my newgrowth never shows until touch-up time and by then it seems like 1 1/2 to 2 inches show up "mysteriously".

What I usually do is, get a rollerset a few days before touch-up time and the newgrowth shows very well since the ends are straighten.

HTH

When I straighten my hair I can see the difference better. Also when it's wet and I'm trying to comb it I can feel the difference at the roots. But really it blends in so well most times that sometimes I think I might as well just go natural.

OnlyChild: I'm jealous--you're going to get your hair straightened. I usually do braid outs because I'm too lazy to blow dry or anything like that, but when I got my hair touched up last time, I had them straighten out my hair, and for a few days, I was in love with my hair that way, but I couldn't wait to rinse my hair because I'm so used to doing that every night (my scalp loves being clean). But blow drying and flat ironing my hair is the only way to see growth. I'm a few inches from top of bra strap length, but my hair shrinks up so much, that you can't tell. Oh well! I guess it doesn't matter anyway because I wear it up 99.9% of the time, and I don't like going to the salon too often. I get a touch up every 3-4 months.

Allandra: When you get your hair straightened, do you tell them not to straighten your roots/new growth? Do they blow dry your hair? Also, are there any pictures around here of your hair? Just curious. I've bet it looks really nice.

Allandra said:
CurlyCrly said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you stylist (or whoever does your relaxer touch ups) tell the difference? You want to make sure they don't overlap when it's time for a relaxer touch up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it myself. The difference isn't noticeable visually, but I can feel the difference with my fingers and that's how I've always done my touch-ups.

Hi ladies i completely understand how you feel. I have naturally wavy/curl hair. Let me tell you the only way i can tell hair growth because i have a few highlights from a year ago. Even now i can not really tell because my highlights are pretty much gone. I have the biggest shrinkage, so i understand. when wet my hair is lower midback. But when completely dry is about couple is inches below the shoulders when out. I can maybe stretch it and inch or two max below shoulders depending on products and twist outs. Truthfully i really do not know how long my hair is because when i blow dried it was little past mid length and this is without pressing. When i straighten my natural hair my roots still have waves even if i flat iron it myself it never comes out like my stylist use to do. so i actually have no idea what my hair length is.

Brownie said:
OnlyChild: I'm jealous--you're going to get your hair straightened. I usually do braid outs because I'm too lazy to blow dry or anything like that, but when I got my hair touched up last time, I had them straighten out my hair, and for a few days, I was in love with my hair that way, but I couldn't wait to rinse my hair because I'm so used to doing that every night (my scalp loves being clean). But blow drying and flat ironing my hair is the only way to see growth. I'm a few inches from top of bra strap length, but my hair shrinks up so much, that you can't tell. Oh well! I guess it doesn't matter anyway because I wear it up 99.9% of the time, and I don't like going to the salon too often. I get a touch up every 3-4 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to straighten my own hair next week by rollersetting. I love braidouts but they just take too long to dry (I do six braids) even though that is my style of choice. We must be hair twins (length). I'm a few inches from bra strap. About 1.5" to go.

This is my first experience with texturized hair. So, I won't know when to get a touch up. I've also been taking MSM for 2 months so I really don't know. The texture of my hair has changed so much since taking MSM that I'm wondering if putting a relaxer/texturizer on it will completely straighten it (which I don't want).

How do you guys do it? Wearing your hair up 99.9% of the time. I feel so ugly when I wear my hair up. I feel like that will be the main culprit to me reaching my hair goals. Everyone that I know with long hair wears it in a bun or a ponytail almost everyday.

OnlyChild,
I rarely wear mine in a bun because it's too hard to put it into one since it's so wavy/curly. I usually pull my hair back and roll the ends upwards and tuck them under. So it kind of looks like I have a horizontal roll/french roll--hard to explain, but it's easy to do. I tried blow drying and flat ironing my hair today. The blow dryer did not remove my waves or curls. My hair was so thick that I only flat ironed a couple strands--I gave up. I Kind of hated doing it anyway because when my hair was drying the waves looked really nice. Anyway, I'm going to rinse my hair out tonight to change my hair back to normal!!!!!!!You were asking about touch up time. I usually go 10-12 weeks. Last time, I went 19 weeks---never again. By 12-15 weeks, my hair kind of tells me that it's time.

Step:
I think my hair looks nice straight, but I REALLY like my hair curly/wavy because I think I look better with my hair like that, so I think my ultimate goal is to have my hair bra strap length in it's wavy/curly form. So, shoot, how much it shrinks, I guess it'll have to get down to my knees before that happens. I guess that'll give me something to look forward to by retirement.
wink.gif
drunk.gif

Back