For Those Who Use SERUMS (???)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I know serums protect hair from humidity and reduces fly-aways and frizz and that you should apply it before or after drying your hair...

How often to you apply serum to your hair? Only after you wash? Daily? After everytime you moisturize your hair? Etc.? :confused:

hi poohbear :wave:
i use john frieda's xtra strength serum on wet hair... i havent tried it on dry hair... it does keep the frizzies away though bc ive noticed that does my hair doesnt frizz as much when its humid outside. i just purchased the ntm serum and i tried it once on dry hair and it made it shiny... but i havent really decided how i am going to use it yet bc i love john frieda's. so to answer your ? so far i just use serum on wet hair.

eta: i find serums too light to use daily... i need something to weigh my hair down because it is thick. HTH

Last edited:
Hey Pooh Bear,

I use NTM Serum usually after washing and moisturizing my hair, whenever I airdry. It helps cut down on the frizzies (so do warm oil treatments - at least on my hair).

I might use it on dry hair if I've just gotten a touchup. Other than that, it's wet hair only. HTH!

Thanks guys! Your responses all make sense! Whenever I get my free NTM serum (or if I buy it), I'll have an idea of how to use it! :grin: Right now, I have Silk Elements Glossing Polish which I've been using on dry hair and find that it really doesn't work too well on dry hair. I will start using it on wet hair after I apply my leave-in. :yep:

I use John Frieda Frizz Ease Xtra Strength serum. I apply it to my hair while its Soaking Wet before putting in leave in conditioner, then blow dry. No frizzies, nice and smooth.
I use NTM Serum on hair when its dry to keep hair in place and add shine.

I've used serum on wet hair but the last time I straightened my hair, I used it after I flat ironed to lock out moisture and prevent it from reverting and it did a great job, it lasted for about 4 days until I washed it out. I used Got2b smoothing serum.

:scratchch Hmmm... I guess I'm just going to have to experiment more with my glossing polish that I have and see what works for me. When I get my NTM serum, I will use it on wet and dry hair. :yep:

I use L'Oreal Vive Smooth-Intense Anti-Frizz Serum on damp hair. I forgot to use it this morning after I washed my hair though. Opps.

I used to make John Frieda's Relax Serum (which is applied while hair is soaking wet) my staple, but most products if not the whole line is being discontinued. That stuff was like 7.95 for a tiny bottle. Nexxus has one for 11.00 called Retexxturr...I'm thinking of trying it, because I can get it cheaper. I like anti-frizz serums, they really help...but beware if they contain alcohol. I stopped using any products with alcohol about 2 years ago (except a normalizer/stabilizer with relaxers). Most serums should contain silicone and its derivatives among other things, but I don't think the alcohol (SD 40 Alcohol usually) is much good.

I really like frizz ease serum (any of them) on wet hair (I use it as directed). I tried it on damp/dry hair once and it made my hair icky (my hair is pretty fine). But it's great on wet hair.

I love elucence silk hydrating elixir on wet or dry hair. I use it on wet/damp hair when I blowdry, and then as a daily moisturizer afterwards. I usually use it by itself as a moisturizer, although sometimes I'll use something else a little heavier on the very ends.

my regimen just wouldn't be right if I weren't using SOME kind of serum :)

Poohbear said:
I know serums protect hair from humidity and reduces fly-aways and frizz and that you should apply it before or after drying your hair...

How often to you apply serum to your hair? Only after you wash? Daily? After everytime you moisturize your hair? Etc.? :confused:

I apply serum only after my wash before I style the hair. I mainly use frizz ease and it really helps.

I always use L'oreal Smooth Intense Serum on freshly washed damp hair.
Sometimes when I spray my hair with leave in in the morning I apply some serum to the length too.

Poohbear said:

I'm experimenting with serums. I've tried NTM Healing Shine Serum, Design Essentials - Silk Essentials, and KMS Flat Out Shine Serum. I like them all. I use NTM on wet hair before NTM Daily Conditioner as my leave-in. In the morning, I use a few drops of DS or KMS. It makes my hair smooth and silky, and I don't need anything else.

I used to use it on dry hair ( IC Color protector) but then I discovered IC Fantasia's Heat protector and Straigthening serum...this helps with combout and roller setting...

I may use it on dry still but only during the summer...not humidity to deal with now in this NYC cold

I use Fantasia serum for color treated hair. I use it on my hair when wet and after I do a roller set, it make my curls softer. So you can use it on wet or dry hair.

I usually use my serum (Paul Mitchell superskinny gloss drops) on dry hair when it feels or looks like my hair is getting out of control.

I use a serum by the name of Moisture Block it only contains dimethicone and cyclomthicone. Its is the best ever, it actually leaves my hair soft and supple. I usually apply it on wet hair prior to a roller set. After my hair is dry, I'll apply just a tad more as a finishing. Its very thick and concentrated, so u really need just a little bit- about a dime size.

I use Loreal Vive Intense,Alfaparf and NTM serum all on dry hair never tried them with damp hair I apply once.

John Frieda Relax Texture Correcting Serum or St. Ive's No Frizz Hair Repair Serum on wet hair and NTM Healing Shine Serum on dry hair.

Last edited:
Back