For those who use no lye, has this ever happened to you?

Ishtar

I've heard that lye is less harsher on your hair than no lye but when I tried switching over my hair did not relax at all. First I tried testing an area with Mizani Butter Blend. The hair did not relax after ten minutes on one area.

The second time I tried with ORS(lye) and I applied it all over after stretching for 8 weeks ( I discovered here that 8 weeks is not something to brag about). But anyway I got nothing. I was scared of relaxing too soon after with the no lye ORS so soon afterwards so I had to wait 6 weeks before I could correct my hair.

Why didn't lye work for me? Is there a reason? I waited 20 mintues instead of the recommended 15 minutes. I had plenty of time to smooth.

that's odd considering you applied it to hair that hasn't been relaxed yet... hhhmmm?:perplexed

Seems like the same things been happening to me since I have took my hair care into my own hands its like my hair is resistant to relaxers now. I was using precise mild no lye and the hair would come out straight but as soon as I washed it would look like I didn't even relax it , so I switched to alter ego lineage lye and still it gave me telax kinda results Idk y this keeps happening. I'm starting to think I might have 2 use super if I want bone straight results.

Sorry for the typing I'm on my phone :look:

It could be that you have product build up or oil and such on your hair that is inhibiting the relaxing process. Also with lye you have to base your scalp. You could have gotten some of the base on your hair and that will slow down the process. From my reading if I remember correctly, lye relaxers break protein bond in the hair down slower than no lye. It may just take your hair longer to process. I don't fool with lye. It leaves my very underprocessed unless I leave it on longer than recommended, and I'm not willing to do that plus it just burns my scalp like crazy. I never have a problem with getting the results I want with no lye.

ETA: try washing your hair with a clarifying/chelating shampoo about a week before your relaxer and see if that helps.

I've only used no-lye relaxers for 18-20 minutes and the only time I've had a lye relaxer touch-up was at a salon, and the results were nice. I hope you'll be able to do a corrective safely after finding something you know will work for you. Just as a suggestion, save your shed hairs and experiment with those first to be on the safe side.

Lye is harsher on the scalp and easier on the hair. I've been relaxing with lye for years, and it does have a slightly longer processing time. It's possibly due to the fact that no-lye is formulated with a calcium component, which causes undue dryness and stiffness in the hair if one isn't careful to condition. That calcium buildup could be what's inhibiting the lye relaxer from working, if it's not due to product buildup (oils, cones) as others mentioned. Think of what mineral buildup and hard water can do to the hair...that's what a no-lye relaxer is capable of doing. I've read about it in books, check it out online, I'm sure there is info on it! HTH!

In the many years since I have been using lye, I accidentally let a stylist apply a no-lye relaxer to my hair, and it was inherently dry for many weeks afterwards. No matter how much I conditioned, it was still dry and slightly stiff/hard. Once I did my subsequent TU with lye, it went back to normal eventually. Lye will burn the Hell out of your scalp, so base well, but be careful not to get too much on the hair, as it does slow the processing time...this has happened to me. It is easy to underprocess with lye, as Kellum said.

Last edited:
Like the other posters stated Lye processes slower than no-lye.

I use Mizani BB reg and I have to process for longer to get the results I am looking for. The relaxer has conditioner, shea butter and honey added to it so it slows down the relaxer process considerably.

I chelate my hair a couple of days before relaxing but I dont manipulate my scalp. When smoothing I use my fingers because I felt using the comb to smooth was causing too much stress on my scalp. I have to smooooooth like crazy. It takes me btwn 25-30 to process plus application time ( I do the half/half method). Each section gets smoothed 6-10x depending on the section of my hair. Each part per section gets smoothed a minimun of 5 strokes. I still dont get relaxed bone straight. I am left with wavy and almost straight hair in some parts which is what I prefer because I dont use heat. My caruso rollers and using Qhemet burdock root creme smooths out the waves and I am left with some texture.

I guess it could have been the base. Anyway its just made me scared of lye relaxers, fearing that I will be over or underprocessed. Overprocessed without results. Don't clarifying shampoos work I believe I was using the Aloe shampoo by ORS. I will try lye again.

BrownnBubblie, are you saying it takes you 30-45 minutes to get good results with lye?

I guess it could have been the base. Anyway its just made me scared of lye relaxers, fearing that I will be over or underprocessed. Overprocessed without results. Don't clarifying shampoos work I believe I was using the Aloe shampoo by ORS. I will try lye again.

BrownnBubblie, are you saying it takes you 30-45 minutes to get good results with lye?

Keep in mind this is a conditioning relaxer (added ingredients to keep the hair moisturized, so this interfers with the lye in the relaxer. It takes me more like 30-35/40, this may seem strange for some but hey I do what works for me. My hair is very dense, meaning I have alot of hair per square inch.

When I relaxed my hair this time I timed my application time and then I started my timer from there. Doing research here and on the WWW I have since learned that many others have the same experience. One stylist stated this relaxer is more of a texturizer, with that in mind I said that I have to attack my hair differently. Remember this is per section because I cant do my entire head all at once.

I think I am going to try Alter ego linage lye next or a different one with that is a conditioning lye to see if will cut down on my processing time.

Last edited:
both relaxers are harsh, lye processess better (well depending on brand). maybe the mizani wasn't strong enough, I have read that alot of folks complain that it doesn't straighten too great but as brownbubblie stated it's supposed to be moisturizing for the hair so this most likely is the reason for your underprocessing. maybe try another brand of relaxer to see if you get the same results, if not use the next strength up.

I notice some relaxers just don't process quickly or straight, I can use one relaxers mild and get straight hair and then use another brand and nothing just depends on the brand.

it's good you did a test at least it saved you from having a whole head of unprocessed hair.

hth

I think the answer is part relaxer part hair. No matter how much people said lye relaxers are better, it just wasn't better for my hair. My hair flourished when I used no-lye, and was always uderprocessed with burnt scalp with lye. my hair texture is also different than most on the boards too. I have fine c-napp/ 4b hair.

So 40 minutes per section? Weren't you scared of it damaging your hair? I know that time is different for everyone but is there any way to tell what's right to keep from overprocessing? That's what I hate about relaxers you never know what you're getting.

I feel like I will never get the hang of it but I want to switch to a better relaxer. One says don't go over this number of minutes but my hair comes out stiff and underprocessed. It's such a good thing now that I'm not trying to get the straight look anymore.

One thing you can try is to make sure you are using a reconstructive conditioner prior to your nuetralizing shampoo. That really helped my hair TREMENDOUSLY.

This is important: IS Mizani Regular - LYE?

I am using Mizani Butter Blends for Sensitive Scalp and since you have to mix it with the activator liquid I am pretty sure it's "no lye" and that is really drying out my hair over time. Even though I only texlax (not a full relaxer processing time).

So could I switch to Mizani Regular and start using that as a LYE relaxer right? I want to make sure, cause I'm on month 4 of a six month stretch and I don't want to use the wrong thing. My goal was to grow my roots out and switch to a LYE relaxer. Any suggestions? Sorry if I'm kinda hijacking the thread but you are getting great responses and I really need help determining what to use.

So 40 minutes per section? Weren't you scared of it damaging your hair? I know that time is different for everyone but is there any way to tell what's right to keep from overprocessing? That's what I hate about relaxers you never know what you're getting.

I feel like I will never get the hang of it but I want to switch to a better relaxer. One says don't go over this number of minutes but my hair comes out stiff and underprocessed. It's such a good thing now that I'm not trying to get the straight look anymore.

No I wasn't scared because every time I relaxed I was more underprocessed than I preferred. I decided to try something different this time and it worked out better. The longer I stretch the more I have to smooth because my hair is med-course and very dense.

One thing you can try is to make sure you are using a reconstructive conditioner prior to your nuetralizing shampoo. That really helped my hair TREMENDOUSLY.

This is important: IS Mizani Regular - LYE?

I am using Mizani Butter Blends for Sensitive Scalp and since you have to mix it with the activator liquid I am pretty sure it's "no lye" and that is really drying out my hair over time. Even though I only texlax (not a full relaxer processing time).

So could I switch to Mizani Regular and start using that as a LYE relaxer right? I want to make sure, cause I'm on month 4 of a six month stretch and I don't want to use the wrong thing. My goal was to grow my roots out and switch to a LYE relaxer. Any suggestions? Sorry if I'm kinda hijacking the thread but you are getting great responses and I really need help determining what to use.

It's okay. I'm sure it's fine to switch to no lye. My mother would always use no lye on my hair. When I was staying with a friend her mom put a lye relaxer in my hair(bantu). The end result was long beautiful waves in my hair and it felt moisturized. My hair has been dry for so long. I'm sick of it. But I am doing a long stretch so that my hair will be healthier when I do use my next lye. I will retry ORS because at least now I know that 20 minutes is not enough for me.

I have been thinking and I am going to try the Mizani BB Super so I can cut down on my processing time. If that is not good then I will try the Alter Ego Shea butter to see how it works, many haved raved about it. If that doesnt work I am going back to Affirm. This is the last relaxer I used before I went natural. I am at a lost because I want my hair straight enough after it drys, I dont want to have to flat iron.

Last edited:
Do you mix anything into the relaxer like conditioner or oil? If you do, it will cause your hair to come out underprocessed.

You may need to switch brands or move up from mild to regular.

I would do strand tests with different brands so that I wouldn't have to do correctives.

I think the answer is part relaxer part hair. No matter how much people said lye relaxers are better, it just wasn't better for my hair. My hair flourished when I used no-lye, and was always uderprocessed with burnt scalp with lye. my hair texture is also different than most on the boards too. I have fine c-napp/ 4b hair.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel about it. I tried lye and it didn't really work that well for me so I had to go back to no lye as I simply don't have any problems with it at all. I chelate regularly and I have no dryness issues at all.

I purchased a Mizani BB course/super earlier today with the intentions of correcting my hair if it needed. I mentioned I would do this in an earlier post. I relaxed my NG three weeks ago

Okay so today I washed the back of my hair (from crown down to the nape) and let it air dry NAKED and here is what happened:

The ends were so dry because of being underprocessed when I ran my fingers through the right side and the middle (where I parted for my TU)they kept getting snagged, all the nape was still very curly and the left side and so many deep waves in it. I was pissed :perplexed. I want a little texture but not this much, I prefer very little wave when air dried that it can be pulled straight by a ponytail or rollers very little wave so when I am caught in the rain or any type of wet weather condition my hair will remain relatively straight. I seperated my hair and used clips so my roots would not get processed, they are still fairly straight from when I relaxed. The rest was underprocessed in different degrees from my previous times relaxing.

I applied the Mizani BB course/super and left it on for a TOTAL of 10 (application and smoothing) and when I rinsed and dried I finally have what I want. My hair looks more uniform it has the slight wave in some areas, exactly what I wanted and it still has life. :yep:

When I touchup my NG in June I will only keep the relaxer in for a total of 20-25 min depending on the section. My crown on the left side is a little bit more resistant than the rest. (application and smoothing)

In conclusion: If you are considering Mizani BB and your hair is very a 4a/b with more b and your hair is dense and your strands are med-course you might want to consider using course/super. This is because this relaxer does not get the hair very straight using the regular (with the processing time the container suggests)

Now I can focus on length ( My goal is WL)

Back