Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No, I never use heat

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Sometimes yes, Sometimes No

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

SelfStyled

Do you use heat to DC?

My last DC I was busy around the house and never ended up under the dryer:look:. After I took my DC cap off, I noticed no color had leeched out. I have been pondering this all week- I will just preface this by saying I am trying to find a way to make my rinses last more than a wash or two. I was happy that I had preserved my color, but felt a little guilty about not DC'ing with heat.

Just curious what ya'll do......If anyone has any tips to preserve color, please post away:grin:

Last edited:
Yes, I always use heat. So far I have used my soft bonnet dryer, but today I plan to use my new steamer for the first time with a cellophane.

I think the heat is necessary to open the cuticle layer of the hair for better penetration of the color.

Yes, I always use heat. So far I have used my soft bonnet dryer, but today I plan to use my new steamer for the first time with a cellophane.

I think the heat is necessary to open the cuticle layer of the hair for better penetration of the color.

Thanks for the response Frizzy- let me know how your cellophane turns out.....I am definitely interested in that one. I am so curious if it is really better than colorshowers.

I defintely use heat when I am coloring with the rinse, my question is really around post color deep conditioning. I have noticed that when I DC with heat my color fades really quickly. Because I was lazy during my last wash and didn't use heat to DC, I noticed that there was no color in my plastic shower cap like there is when I use heat.

Gorgeous hair, btw.

I always use heat to deep condition. I have no idea how to make my color rinses last longer but I don't like to deep condition without heat.

When I henna and indigo it lasts for a while.

I do see color rinsing away when I wash and DC, but there is NO WAY I'm gonna cut down on DCing because of that. :nono: The cellophane still lasted a good while (IMO)

I relaxed my hair 2 weeks ago and I thought the color signal was telling me I hadn't neutralized enough after 4 washes and 30 minutes (WTH?), until I remembered the red cellophane. :lachen:

I need to update my avi and signature I'll take pics today or tomorrow and post.

BTW--I still plan to use hendigo from time to time.

good thread------I love to DC with heat, but my rinses only last 1 or 2 washes (even if its only a co-wash). I never thought the two could be related.....

Before my BKT DCs with heat would always strip my cellophanes. Now even with the BKT if I use AO DCs, it strips the color and likely the BKT. It's just a function of the cuticles opening up to allow the conditioners into the hair shaft. That also allows the color to bleed.

I think cellophanes done right after a relaxer touch up holds the color longer because it really gets into the cuticle layers due to the relaxing process.

I'm a weirdo because I hate DC's with heat anyway so the answer is no. I just wrap my hair in saran wrap then a plastic cap and keep the con on for a couple hours. My special treatment is leaving it on while exercising (homeade steam treat). My color bleeds very little.

Back