For Those of You DarkButts Who Have Curly Hair

I feel you on this. I honestly think that this is something black people will never get over. There are always gonna be those who associate light skin with "good" hair or mixed heritage. The simple truth is that black people judge each other on complexion and hair. It's sad but it's the truth.

It's so crazy that you bring up this subject because I just had a run in with someone and the "good hair usage. I'm a medium complexion (I don't consider my self light-skinned) and I am of a mixed heritage. However, I'm still black. Anyways, I've always hated when people used the term "good" hair, because I just dont believe there's any such thing. I grew up with a mom who taught me to love being black for what it is. So yesterday I was in JC Penny's with a friend looking for the MIZANI H2O night-time treatment that I've heard so much about. I started telling the lady at the desk that I'd found this forum (I raved about LHCF lol) and how I wanted to grow my hair and keep it healthy. So my friend commented that it wouldnt take much for me since I didnt have black hair. I have that "good" hair. So I said there's no such thing as "good" hair. And the lady says, "Yeah its always those with the good hair that say there's no such thing." I was just like wow ok.
You just learn to ignore things after awhile. Sorry for the long post : )

I hate when people say that crap. Ugh. Thats why I'm pushing myself to get healthy hair because people dont think I can because I have 4z hair.

Anyway, I wish people would stop the sterotypes with hair and skin. My mom is light skin and she has coarse 4z hair just like me.

I hate when people say that crap. Ugh. Thats why I'm pushing myself to get healthy hair because people dont think I can because I have 4z hair.

Anyway, I wish people would stop the sterotypes with hair and skin. My mom is light skin and she has coarse 4z hair just like me.

Hell, I'm pale as a ghost, and my hair when it aint flat ironed is "4Z" as you say! Complection definately does not determine hair texture!

white people just ask me how i get my hair to do "that" :look:

but i just think its because most black girls have relaxed hair so i'm just like whatever.
only white people ask you that? it's all the black people that touch my hair and ask me what i did to it.

the saddest day of my life was the day my godson was born...cause his mother took one look at his hair and praised all things holy that he had his daddy's hair and "not that sh*t on (her) head". she wasn't praying that he was healthy, she was hoping he had good hair. (i've hated that term since i was little...my cousins used to bug the heck out of me with it, and now that i'm natural they're doing it again.)

only white people ask you that? it's all the black people that touch my hair and ask me what i did to it.

the saddest day of my life was the day my godson was born...cause his mother took one look at his hair and praised all things holy that he had his daddy's hair and "not that sh*t on (her) head". she wasn't praying that he was healthy, she was hoping he had good hair. (i've hated that term since i was little...my cousins used to bug the heck out of me with it, and now that i'm natural they're doing it again.)

I swear slavery did such a number on us:nono:

And um, dont all babies have straightish hair when they are born. well most babies anyway, and then their true texture shows.

I was going to stay out of this thread, but I have one thing to add. I have heard so many people pray for babies with "good" hair or light complexions. People, pray that your child has no severe mental or physical challenges. I have students now who are beautiful by society's standards and are reading on a second grade level. That wouldn't be so bad if they were not in the ninth grade, and teachers had just failed them in the past. That's not even the case. Some of my students would be doing a great job to complete See Spot Run.

I was going to stay out of this thread, but I have one thing to add. I have heard so many people pray for babies with "good" hair or light complexions. People, pray that your child has no severe mental or physical challenges. I have students now who are beautiful by society's standards and are reading on a second grade level. That wouldn't be so bad if they were not in the ninth grade, and teachers had just failed them in the past. That's not even the case. Some of my students would be doing a great job to complete See Spot Run.

Mango I feel you. I think that if you just don't deal/work with this population then you just don't know...people get caught up with the little things.

I think that it is true that people equate "dark" skin with bad kinky hair. I am as dark as they come but the texture of my hair looks like Im mixed. People always ask where I'm from (Ohio) or I get the comment "what are you mixed with?" My mom and dad are both black. Society needs to be educated that we come in all different hues and textures.

I feel you on this. I honestly think that this is something black people will never get over. There are always gonna be those who associate light skin with "good" hair or mixed heritage. The simple truth is that black people judge each other on complexion and hair. It's sad but it's the truth.

It's so crazy that you bring up this subject because I just had a run in with someone and the "good hair usage. I'm a medium complexion (I don't consider my self light-skinned) and I am of a mixed heritage. However, I'm still black. Anyways, I've always hated when people used the term "good" hair, because I just dont believe there's any such thing. I grew up with a mom who taught me to love being black for what it is. So yesterday I was in JC Penny's with a friend looking for the MIZANI H2O night-time treatment that I've heard so much about. I started telling the lady at the desk that I'd found this forum (I raved about LHCF lol) and how I wanted to grow my hair and keep it healthy. So my friend commented that it wouldnt take much for me since I didnt have black hair. I have that "good" hair. So I said there's no such thing as "good" hair. And the lady says, "Yeah its always those with the good hair that say there's no such thing." I was just like wow ok.
You just learn to ignore things after awhile. Sorry for the long post : )
ur hurr is pretty girl, you know she was jealous:yep:

This thread is perfect because in my area you don't see light, or dark skinned people with natural hair, it wasn't until I joined this broad that I see there is quite a few of natural heads out there! I think what it is on here it's a common site about hair, and in the "real world" it's about what's "acceptable" and still til this day being natural is not accept universally (in the US).

When I was natural I got it all, black people called me Angela Davis when I wore my afro, non black would just look at me, I was automatically seen as a college student because people thinked that I looked educated (whatever that means). When I blown my hair out the black people what look at me like "who she think she is?" because my hair was so thick, but had a nice lenght (between APL, and SL in the back), non-black people would think I have "good hair". It was a mess! But I didn't care because I loved my natural hair and miss it sometimes!

i'm not more of a medium tone and because i've being natural all my life and my hair is 3b/c i have had to explain my race from age 7.
i didn't get it when i was 7 for years i'm either not black enough or just not black at all.there had a point when i always combed out my curls cause i was tired explain how i was black.
in my family most people have 3b/c hair no matter colour.
my older sister who is darker than me has 3b/2c/3c hair and when she was relaxed she was asian to everyone else.when me and my puff would stand next to my sister my family suddenly became mixed race.
some times i wish everyone was bald then we would have no hair issues.:sad:

i don't mind people thinking i'm another race but it's another thing to be told you are lying or i'm not black cause my hair is this way well i'm still black and my hair still has a looser curl partern get over it.
my mum is very light skin as well so when people that have question my race see me with my mum they look at me like well your to dark for your dad to be white umm he is black that's why i'm darker than my mum.it's like some people have a mental blockage hair comes in all sort for everyone.

why can't people expect peoeple for who they are and there are more important things in this world that curls and hair imagine if some of those people took that much interest in fixing crime,drug problems and things that mean more than hair and what race you are.

slowly things are changing when i hear storys of people on here that had to whole good hair v bad hair mentality and changed.even if it takes one person at a time they will teach their children better so i have hope one day no more or alot less stupid questions:yep:

Funny, cuz I prayed for the darkest babies. Only got one, though:nono:. And they all got beautiful hair...4a-4b.:yep:

Most folks ask me how do I get my hair to curl/coil up. They think it is the result of twist outs but it is just my natural hair.

One older black lady complimented my hair and asked if i had a curl..as in Jheri Curl. I wanted to say I don't know Jheri and he surely didn't curl my hair....but I just said no, it's my natural hair with some gel. That isn't the first time I've been asked something similar and it won't be the last.*sigh* Honestly I do have a great great grandfather who is white and his wife was Native American..but that doesn't make me mixed. My mom is black and my dad is black so I'm black imo. It's sad that black people don't know that us brownies can have curly, wavy or coily hair. That's why I am so glad I went natural. I am no longer a slave to ignorance and stereotypes about my people. What do people think when their new growth comes in wavy or curly? If their hair grew out of their scalps bone str8 they wouldn't need to relax again. So logically if you kept letting that hair grow w/o relaxing, eventually ur whole head would be wavy/curly if that's how ur ng is and depending on ur hair type right?? regardless of your skintone.. I guess people are just stuck on the nonsense we've been fed over the years.

This thread title had me giggling. I had this lady (who I told I was transitioning last year) tell me I had a "good grade of hair." First of all, I was convincing her to go natural. Second, she was complaining that she left her braids in too long and her hair was starting to matt and loc. She said, "Well girl, you can go natchal, cuz you got that good hair, but I gotta either get a relaxer or braid this mess, cuz mine won't do right."

Mind you, she never even saw the texture of my hair because I wore headwraps day in and day out unless I was washing my hair or letting it breathe at home. She basically assumed that b/c of my skin complexion, it must be easier for me to go natural and stay that way. :sad: Very sad. Yes, she was, as you put it, a "darkbutt." (No offense, and not that it matters...but it does go along with the topic of the thread). My mother is of a dark complexion (think Lil Wayne), so I have NO bias.

And, speaking of my mother, she was one of the main ones who had a problem wit me going natural...she's had a relaxer pretty much all of her 48 years... I would've thought that she would like for me to embrace my natural hair, since she only relaxed it in the first place out of "convenience" and to keep from having to press it every week or two. The only one who wanted to see my hair go natural was my mama's boy ex, and currently my Caucasian SO. It seems whites embrace our natural hair more than our own counterparts do.

You know what, I might just transition again and grow my hair down to my a**, wit my 4a texture and shut 'em all up. I get the "Are you Asian or mixed?" question all the time from all races...then they see this NG and it changes their minds quick. lol

Last edited:
dont take it personal ladies - its not as common to see looser, wavier hair on dark-toned ladies.

I would be equally as shocked if i saw a dark toned lady with blue eyes - its not impossible, its just rare. And the shock is more of admiration of observing a rarity....

I consider myself to have a medium skin-tone, but most people consider me to be on the lighter side. Anyhoo, I remember when I was a kid hearing my mom say "You'd think with all that mixedness on my mom's side and your dad's side your hair would have turned out better than this" :blush:. She said it as a joke, and at the time I thought it was funny, too, but now that I think about it that statement was really messed up. I have mostly 4a textured hair, but my edges and nape area are 3c. When my mom was giving me a relaxer not too long ago she told me "You have good hair in this section" talking about my nape area, but when she got to the crown she was like "Here's where the naps are". Oh well. People are going to think what they are going to think :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Back