For the ladies that retained 5 inches of hair or more in a year... share your secrets

Re: For the ladies that retained 5 inches of hair or more in a year... share your sec

Do you all think that you can retain 5 or more without protective styling? It seems like almost everyone is doing protective styling :ohwell:

Re: For the ladies that retained 5 inches of hair or more in a year... share your sec

see, i cant do the no heat thing. when i was washing my hair myself at home, i had to stop doing rollersets and braidouts because my ends were so badly damaged. i ended up having to get them trimmed. those were the only styles i cold rock without using any heat. since then i been on the fence about what i should be doing with my hair. im too self conscious to get a weave, and my edges are thinning out too much to get braids. i think im gonna end up rocking that india arie fade :)

Do you all think that you can retain 5 or more without protective styling? It seems like almost everyone is doing protective styling :ohwell:

they say it will keep the ends protected better from the heat and wind, etc. in turn , you wont have to get it trimmed as often because of breakage , and you will see the length faster. i jus need more ideas of protective styles cause my hair is too short and straight to do those buns and stuff.

I went from Dec. 06 - Chin/Bob length to August 07-Full Shoulder length.

My tips:

1. Baby ends
  2. Protect with silk bonnet nightly
  3. Moisturize when needed
  4. Less heat is better
  5. Air Drying or Rollersets - NO BLOWDRYING
  6. Frequent washes
  7. Deep Condition
  8. Finding hair products right for me
  9. C&G method per my avatar.
  10. Pre-Poos/Hair treatments/scalp massages

I don't bun or wear protective styles, and I do trim. However, I've retained my length for 3 yrs. I'm not saying that my methods will work for everyone b/c my hair is different.

This is what has worked for me, I:

1. Moisturize my ends and protect them from clothing
2. Don't use direct heat
3. Use very little indirect heat...I mostly airdry in rollersets.
4. Am gentle when handling and detangling my hair
5 Wear low to no manipulation hairstyles
6. Use protein, only as needed
7. Deep condition regularly
8. Comb my hair once per week, only when wet and freshly conditioned
9. Never use a brush
10. Always cover my hair at bedtime with a satin scarf and/or bonnet
11. Don't trim (since I don't use heat and keep my ends moisturized, I don't seem to get split ends.)
12. Stretching my relaxer to at least 10 weeks (I'm not sure how important this one was, though, so I'm now going to cut my stretches to 2 months.:look:)

Back