For the lacefront wearing ladies...

LivinMyLifeLikeItsGolden

How are you guys taking care of your hair under the wig?

I am waiting to receive some lacefronts from zara wig and ruth's beauty shop and I am wondering how to take care of my hair under the wig.

I think I may henna, wash, deep condition and then heavily moisturize before applying my wig. I am hoping to keep the wig on for 1-2 weeks at a time.

Anyone with suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

I have looked over at BHM but I am also having issues with the search function.

i have 2 synthetic LF wigs. i don't wear them every day though; usually just on the weekends when i go out, & maybe to the grocery store or to run errands. since my hair isn't under the wig for too often, i just treat it normally. wash 2x per week, rollerset (to get my roots somewhat straight), & make sure it's all tucked safely under the wig cap when i do wear my wigs.

^^ Thank you!! Do you just use the bobby pin method/ hair clips or do you use adhesive?

no problem! actually both my LFs come with comb attachments, so there's no need for any other fastening method. to make doubly sure my wig doesn't come out, i do stick a bobby pin or two through the wig cap though. :yep:

Attachments

• 0krmmble.jpg
    0krmmble.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 66
i had one with clips and it took my hair out :/

anyways BHMs search section sucks so you need to search via google like this, best adhesive "forum.black.hairmedia.com:

anyways i take mine off every 2 weeks. i sew it on. i just took mine off and washed and deep conditioned today. i will probably co-wash tomorrow...or even dc again tomorrow.
then every month i will clarify, dc, wash and blowdry and braid my hair again.

Your plan sounds great!
You're going to use adhesives to keep it on for 1-2 weeks straight?
If so, I'd do 1 week first then see if your hair feels like you could go 2 weeks without it getting too dry.
I would personally want to remove it weekly to wash, DC and moisturize.

I wear my hair in cornrows, plaits or tree braids and wig cap under my LF. I wash and DC weekly and baggie my ends underneath. I use no shine tape in the front and wig clips in the back and sometimes I use a dab of liquid adhesive along the front hairline.

i had one with clips and it took my hair out :/

anyways BHMs search section sucks so you need to search via google like this, best adhesive "forum.black.hairmedia.com:

anyways i take mine off every 2 weeks. i sew it on. i just took mine off and washed and deep conditioned today. i will probably co-wash tomorrow...or even dc again tomorrow.
then every month i will clarify, dc, wash and blowdry and braid my hair again.

Thank you for the tip, I will try doing a search that way.

I just had a sew-in lacefront which sucked soo bad. My hairdresser ordered the wrong one and I was stuck with it because I had to travel the next day.
I did like it sewed in though. Do you sew it in yourself?

Your plan sounds great!
You're going to use adhesives to keep it on for 1-2 weeks straight?
If so, I'd do 1 week first then see if your hair feels like you could go 2 weeks without it getting too dry.
I would personally want to remove it weekly to wash, DC and moisturize.

I will probably have to go week to week, 2 weeks is being ambitious. My scalp gets fussy after about a week.
p.s. I LOVE your hair. I was just showing it to my sister earlier this week!!

I wear my hair in cornrows, plaits or tree braids and wig cap under my LF. I wash and DC weekly and baggie my ends underneath. I use no shine tape in the front and wig clips in the back and sometimes I use a dab of liquid adhesive along the front hairline.

That sounds like a good plan and your hair is growing well. How long have you been wearing lacefronts?

I wear wigs almost every day cause i'm lazy and like to sleep in as late as possible. But I take mine off when I get home every day. I typically wear my hair in cornrows underneath. I always remove the clips and combs that come with them since they tend to take my hair out and use bobby pins to secure it. FYI I co-wash twice a week and seal my ends with coconut oil daily. This seems to work well for me and I have noticed a noticeable thickening in my hair due to the low manipulation.

I wear wigs almost every day cause i'm lazy and like to sleep in as late as possible. But I take mine off when I get home every day. I typically wear my hair in cornrows underneath. I always remove the clips and combs that come with them since they tend to take my hair out and use bobby pins to secure it. FYI I co-wash twice a week and seal my ends with coconut oil daily. This seems to work well for me and I have noticed a noticeable thickening in my hair due to the low manipulation.

I definitely want to go the low manipulation route. hopefully I can find the method that works best for me!

My hair is really thick. I need to learn how to do cornrows to get a good fit. I put my hair in plaits but it still felt bulky. I really think I have a big head and need a larger wig than what is sold in most stores but I can't say for sure until my hair is properly flattened against my head.

How are you securing it with bobby pins? Are you just sticking it through the wig and catching it on the cornrow beneath? Is there a method to securing it with bobby pins?

My hair is really thick. I need to learn how to do cornrows to get a good fit. I put my hair in plaits but it still felt bulky. I really think I have a big head and need a larger wig than what is sold in most stores but I can't say for sure until my hair is properly flattened against my head.

How are you securing it with bobby pins? Are you just sticking it through the wig and catching it on the cornrow beneath? Is there a method to securing it with bobby pins?

I have the same problem. I am too lazy to do my own cornrows too because I have thick hair and a huge head :grin:
When I get it done in a salon, they usually do about 13 cornrows for it to lay flat.

I, too, wear synthetic LF wigs. I have my hair cornrowed in a honeycomb as if I was getting a sew-in. I cut the combs & tightening straps out of mine & it's still tight enough to stay on my head without incident. Daily I moisturize with a mix of aloe, rosewater glycerin & distilled water. I also use braid spray & diluted Infusium 23 from time to time. When I don't have my wig on I baggy. I wash once a week w/diluted poo & DC. I take the cornrows down once a month & do a protein treatment & then I get it rebraided. HTH...

Man, I wish I could find this youtube video I chanced upon today. It was about this woman (a natural) who was explaining how she goes up to three weeks without doing hair hair. She does this by first washing and twisting her hair and allowing it to dry. Then she takes a silk scarf and scarves her head. Next she takes medical bandages (the kind used for bandaging sprains and the like) and she wraps that around her scarf, then she bonds her wig or weave onto the bandages. This style lasts her two weeks, she says. Then after the two weeks she takes everything off and rocks a twist out that lasts her another week. I thought her way was kinda neat.

That sounds like a good plan and your hair is growing well. How long have you been wearing lacefronts?

For about a year and a half or longer. I had more growth but had a setback and did some cutting.

Muffin I heard about the ace bandage method. I've been wanting to try that so maybe this will be the week. If you can post the link to the youtube vid.

I think I may start back wearing full Lacewigs, when I was wearing mine I washed and DC weekly applied scurl and EVOO and it kept my hair moisturized throughout the week. I did not wear any wig caps, I would wrap or braid my hair underneath. I used satin lace tape for the temples/sides and a lil davlyn on the forehead and bobby pins for the nape.

no problem! actually both my LFs come with comb attachments, so there's no need for any other fastening method. to make doubly sure my wig doesn't come out, i do stick a bobby pin or two through the wig cap though. :yep:

Same here! All mine come with the combs as well. So far, I have never used adhesive on my LF, but a new one I just ordered may require a tiny bit of tape, since it is a different style and texture. Usually, I just use one bobby pin on each side (posted at each side burn to secure). The back is a stretch adjustable band, and its a slanted bob style, so the back doesn't matter. I find that the combs hurt like the dickens when I try to secure them into my hair. They just pull too hard on my hair right at the scalp, and I can't stand it.

Underneath my LF, I keep my hair in box-braids or cornrows. I can't cornrow my own hair, so I usually do box-braids or plaits to keep my hair tamed underneath. I apply Sulfur 8 Oil for Locs, Twists, & Braids to my scalp and edges. I mist my hair with water if it's dry (hasn't just been washed and rebraided while damp). Then, I put some Amla Oil and Vatika Oil over a shea butter conditioning cream to seal. My hair and scalp stay lubricated/moisturized the whole week or longer. I don't touch my hair for sometimes (4) weeks at a time, besides just re-moisturizing.

I don't wear my LF 24/7. Only if I am going out of my house do I put it on. If I'm inside, that bad boy is OFF and I have on a satin scarf, lol. The wig caps resembling stocking caps itch like crazy around my edges, and I choose to wear one that's stretch mesh instead. That way, my scalp can breathe a little more. As with the wig, the cap is only on with it and when going out. My hair is very thick as well, and if the style I'm currently wearing wasn't the way it is, my hair would be kinda bulky underneath, but I try to make my braids as small as is feasible. But then, it has some lenth, so when I pin them up, its still a bit thick. I need to get some small cornrows next time. Like another poster said, I too can be lazy and don't like styling every morning to look presentable, so LF's and wigs have become a go-to for me. Pretty much weaves in general...where I can give my hair a break and still look good. Also, so I can get to my hair if needed (this is why I avoid getting braided extensions, cuz I wanna take my hair down too soon to DC).

I've gotten good growth, and I wear one style for a couple weeks to a month at a time. Then, I switch it up with a new one or another in the stash. That's the lovely thing about being a woman...you can change your look as often as you change your mind! :grin:

ETA: I would like to learn that bandage method another user posted. Also, a friend told me how she does a similar thing using a wig cap and a mannequin head. She glues her tracks on and creates her own wig. She creates it in a quick-weave like method, but it looks so nice.

Last edited:
I, too, wear synthetic LF wigs. I have my hair cornrowed in a honeycomb as if I was getting a sew-in. I cut the combs & tightening straps out of mine & it's still tight enough to stay on my head without incident. Daily I moisturize with a mix of aloe, rosewater glycerin & distilled water. I also use braid spray & diluted Infusium 23 from time to time. When I don't have my wig on I baggy. I wash once a week w/diluted poo & DC. I take the cornrows down once a month & do a protein treatment & then I get it rebraided. HTH...

Do you find that the cornrow honeycomb method is better than braiding the hair straight back? i would like to keep my cornrows in for about a month with minimal manipulation.

Man, I wish I could find this youtube video I chanced upon today. It was about this woman (a natural) who was explaining how she goes up to three weeks without doing hair hair. She does this by first washing and twisting her hair and allowing it to dry. Then she takes a silk scarf and scarves her head. Next she takes medical bandages (the kind used for bandaging sprains and the like) and she wraps that around her scarf, then she bonds her wig or weave onto the bandages. This style lasts her two weeks, she says. Then after the two weeks she takes everything off and rocks a twist out that lasts her another week. I thought her way was kinda neat.

If you come across the video, please share :grin:

I think I may start back wearing full Lacewigs, when I was wearing mine I washed and DC weekly applied scurl and EVOO and it kept my hair moisturized throughout the week. I did not wear any wig caps, I would wrap or braid my hair underneath. I used satin lace tape for the temples/sides and a lil davlyn on the forehead and bobby pins for the nape.

Yah! I am hoping that my weekly treatment will keep my hair moisturized throughout the week!!

Same here! All mine come with the combs as well. So far, I have never used adhesive on my LF, but a new one I just ordered may require a tiny bit of tape, since it is a different style and texture. Usually, I just use one bobby pin on each side (posted at each side burn to secure). The back is a stretch adjustable band, and its a slanted bob style, so the back doesn't matter. I find that the combs hurt like the dickens when I try to secure them into my hair. They just pull too hard on my hair right at the scalp, and I can't stand it.

Underneath my LF, I keep my hair in box-braids or cornrows. I can't cornrow my own hair, so I usually do box-braids or plaits to keep my hair tamed underneath. I apply Sulfur 8 Oil for Locs, Twists, & Braids to my scalp and edges. I mist my hair with water if it's dry (hasn't just been washed and rebraided while damp). Then, I put some Amla Oil and Vatika Oil over a shea butter conditioning cream to seal. My hair and scalp stay lubricated/moisturized the whole week or longer. I don't touch my hair for sometimes (4) weeks at a time, besides just re-moisturizing.

I don't wear my LF 24/7. Only if I am going out of my house do I put it on. If I'm inside, that bad boy is OFF and I have on a satin scarf, lol. The wig caps resembling stocking caps itch like crazy around my edges, and I choose to wear one that's stretch mesh instead. That way, my scalp can breathe a little more. As with the wig, the cap is only on with it and when going out. My hair is very thick as well, and if the style I'm currently wearing wasn't the way it is, my hair would be kinda bulky underneath, but I try to make my braids as small as is feasible. But then, it has some lenth, so when I pin them up, its still a bit thick. I need to get some small cornrows next time. Like another poster said, I too can be lazy and don't like styling every morning to look presentable, so LF's and wigs have become a go-to for me. Pretty much weaves in general...where I can give my hair a break and still look good. Also, so I can get to my hair if needed (this is why I avoid getting braided extensions, cuz I wanna take my hair down too soon to DC).

I've gotten good growth, and I wear one style for a couple weeks to a month at a time. Then, I switch it up with a new one or another in the stash. That's the lovely thing about being a woman...you can change your look as often as you change your mind! :grin:

ETA: I would like to learn that bandage method another user posted. Also, a friend told me how she does a similar thing using a wig cap and a mannequin head. She glues her tracks on and creates her own wig. She creates it in a quick-weave like method, but it looks so nice.

I can't cornrow my own hair either. I think I will do twists under my wig. I like being in control of styling my hair. Hairdressers seem to let me down in one way or another.

I'm late with this one (sorry!). I wear synthetic lace fronts but I'm far from an expert. I've been wearing them for about 3-4 months now, alternating with half wigs. I tried glueing on a lace front once.... :nono: never again. At least not until I find a better glue and technique, because my front hairline is only now recovering. I have one LF that needs to be secured by adhesives because the lace is that soft swiss type even though it's synthetic hair.

Since then, I'm sticking to brands that have the more hard lace that don't flop around so I can wear it without adhesives and any risk of gapping. But for your question, I braid my hair underneath. I either have individual plaits or cornrows. Now my cornrows aren't pretty, because the lines sure aren't straight, but nobody has to see them cept me so I'm cool with that. :lachen:

I take my wig off as soon as I get home and every night I moisten the ends of my plaits with EVCO. Since I've received my JBCO, I've been massaging it into my scalp and hairline on a nightly basis too.

I even wear my LFs to the gym in the morning, in a bun and covered by a scarf, because I have to go straight to work and there is no privacy in the changing rooms to be whipping wigs on and off like that. :nono:

On the weekends if I'm not going anywhere, I won't wear a LF and I follow my normal wash day routine like normal.

P.S.
I also want to try that bandage method. I think I'll pick some up today at Shoppers Drug Mart :)

Last edited:
when i wear them my wig has the combs---but realy and truly it could fly off at any minute--lmaoooooo---
i will never eva apply an adhesive to my hairline eva---no way

i moisturize heavily--my hair requires moisture

i do not wear lf's alot though-the pressure of them even though they r loose will start to bug me--but i wear them if im running late

^^^^^ Speaking of combs, most my LFs have the combs (except for the swiss lace one) and I've recently starting removing the comb in the back because that one irritates me. I'm trying to grow in that area (the nape) and I think the constant rubbing from the comb is not good.

Back