For pony tail and updo wearers.

LondonDiva

For ladies that wear their hair up or in a ponytail. I am looking for a quicker style option and basically want to try something other than the jumbo twists for now. For those that gather their hair into a pony tail or sweep the hair back, do you find it has an adverse effect on the nape or hairline. I'm planning to rinse every 1-2 days and not use any form of band to tie the hair back.

I'm going to comb the hair back, gather it in a ponytail, twist the ponytal and place it upwards and stick a hair slide through so it remains up and doesn't come into conact. Is this a safe style to wear on a daily basis for a while. There is no feeling of tension on the hair at all as the hair is gathered really loosely.

Hi LondonDiva,

I wear my hair up daily. The nape of my hair is not as full as the rest of my hair, but it's been that way forever. Now that I am into hair care, it has been looking fuller. As long as there is no stress or tension to the scalp, I think you should be o.k. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
For ladies that wear their hair up or in a ponytail. I am looking for a quicker style option and basically want to try something other than the jumbo twists for now. For those that gather their hair into a pony tail or sweep the hair back, do you find it has an adverse effect on the nape or hairline. I'm planning to rinse every 1-2 days and not use any form of band to tie the hair back.

I'm going to comb the hair back, gather it in a ponytail, twist the ponytal and place it upwards and stick a hair slide through so it remains up and doesn't come into conact. Is this a safe style to wear on a daily basis for a while. There is no feeling of tension on the hair at all as the hair is gathered really loosely.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds nice..Keep telling me this when I'm deciding whether or not to cut...AGAIN. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

pebbles said:
Hi LondonDiva,

I wear my hair up daily. The nape of my hair is not as full as the rest of my hair, but it's been that way forever. Now that I am into hair care, it has been looking fuller. As long as there is no stress or tension to the scalp, I think you should be o.k. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see a pic of an updo of yours...do you have any?

I'd love to see a pic of an updo of yours...do you have any?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I don't. I have a couple of pictures in my picture trail of when I wore my hair with one of those clip haircombs. I never thought to do one when my hair is up. I'll do that soon. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

LD, I've been wearing my hair in exactly that style for the past two weeks. I wanted to minimize handling it for the last two weeks before my t/u (today, thank God). No breakage, no bad effect.

The only drawback is I got tired of looking at my hair in that style. It ain't the most attractive hairstyle in the world, at least not on me, unless you dress it up with some barrettes or combs or something. I bought some pretty hair sticks (I don't know what you call them) that you pull through to hold the twist up and that at least made it presentable.

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried it last night and today I look fabulous!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I opted for the elastic band but I don't do it tight just enough to give it a nice hold. It's nothing fancy but it complements my face and looks exceptionally neat and I don't have to handle it at all.

I'm only worried about the elastic. Not at the hair coming out because I'm very careful and saturate the band with conditioner before I take it out or an oil of some sort, but the area that's tied by the band. Would that area thin over time or am I being extremely paranoid? /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

I'm only worried about the elastic. Not at the hair coming out because I'm very careful and saturate the band with conditioner before I take it out or an oil of some sort, but the area that's tied by the band. Would that area thin over time or am I being extremely paranoid?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not being paranoid. The elastic hair bands can cause damage if tied too tight. I use the type covered with cloth; The scrunchies. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A scrunchie is too big for me and with the elastic it's easier to hold while I airdry it this way. I'll try it the exact same way next time without the elastic band. I guess it's logic really, if I tie my hair in the same place with an elastic band then the hair around that area will thin out.

LondonDiva, try a piece of panty hose. I don't like elastic bands either. I have also used a shoestring - saturated of course in jerri juice. And there are the satin ribbons, that can be found at just about any drug store or beauty supply.

LondonDiva said:
A scrunchie is too big for me and with the elastic it's easier to hold while I airdry it this way. I'll try it the exact same way next time without the elastic band. I guess it's logic really, if I tie my hair in the same place with an elastic band then the hair around that area will thin out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like big scrunchies either(I make my own in black silk and I make them slim and alot smaller in size). I think the 'pantyhose' band is a great idea also. I wear my hair back almost daily(I've been busy and I'm doing the wash and go thing). I was a little worried about too much tention also, so I pull my hair back very loosely, and not twisting the scrunchie around a 2nd time. Then I take a few Good Hair Day Pins(recommended by Allandra) and put them around the scrunchie to make it a little more secure. I gives my ponytail 'curls' more fullness doing it this way also.

I know this have nothing to do with ponytails and updo's, but I've been wearin my hair down and I find that moisturizing my hair every night and morning, I avoid any type of breakage when wearing my hair down. I will post photos of my hair soon.

I've been doing this too, but then because of the cold winter air, it started looking dry when I return home so I'm going back to protective styles. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

What moisturizer are you using?

Hey AmilLion,

Nice to see you posting! /images/graemlins/wave.gif Can't wait to see some pictures. That would be great! What do you use to keep your hair moisturized in this brutal, cold weather we're having this year?

Edited to say:
Never mind. I just read another post where you answered that question. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Amillion I used to wear my hair down, but I think my problem, is because I could see I would play in it, and I wanted to minimize me touching my hair even thought I wasn't damaging it. It was an annoying habit. When I wore my hair back yesterday and up, I didn't think or obsess about it touching my clothes, i wasn't fiddling with the ends or lightly grazing my scalp like I do when i read the hair boards out of habit. Its an out of sight out of mind mentality with me and my hair in that sense.

i have to admit that the bun i am wearing today is kinda tight, and it will be a release after work when i take it out and massage my scalp.but i love the look. but usually when i wear my hair in a bun or two braids i wear them as losely as possible but so they still look neat. i have not have bad experiences with my hairline.

Back