For Ladies that go to Dominican Salons...

Hair Peace

How often do you go? What do you have them do? Wash and set? Blowout? Doobie wrap? Relaxer?

I've been going every two weeks for a wash and set. The last couple of times I went, I didn't get a blowout (I'm only five weeks post this Saturday). She just hands me a brush and I style it myself. I pin curl it at night and my hair is still soft and bouncy for the next few days.

I only go for my touchups, which I get every 10 weeks, once and a blue moon I'll go for wash and set.
Since I don't go that much, I usually get a wash n set deep condition, and blowout.

I got to the Dominican salon. I only get a wash and set and deep conditioner. I have yet to get a touch up there. But, my friend has gotten a touch up there. I noticed that they really wanted her hair to be Bone straight. But other than that, they did a good job. they only applied the relaxer to the roots. I really do like my dominican hair stylist.

Before transitioning I used to go regularly.

I would go to a local one and get a wash and set and wrap. No blow out.

I would go to one in NY for my touch ups. I had been going to her for years.

I agree that they like the hair to be bone straight. When I switched to phyto I no longer wanted my hair bone straight and I had problems with the hair stylist not understanding that.

I actaully agree, went to one to get Phyto done 9 weeks ago and she had hardest time understanding why it wasnt bone str8, and tried to convince me to use their relaxer and come back to apply it in 2 weeks :D
I have gone 4x since sep, I get a blowout sometimes, and had a doobie once. I wouldnt go too oten though cause of the heat. I'll be going next week friday which should let me stretch for my last month(to 13 weeks)

Currently, I am in the process of stretching for 24 months (Dec 1st I can finally relax--yay!)

I have been going to this GREAT Dominican salon for the last 3 months every two weeks, where I've been getting the $10 treatment. Sorry to say, i really don't know what the heck is in it (has a consistency similar to a hot oil treatment) but MAN OH MAN!!! my hair is soft as all get out and has unbelievable body for at least a week and a half.

This, I feel is what has allowed me to stretch for so long. matter of fact, i don't even let them blow dry my roots anymore. Honestly, it's just too much heat for my hair. But whatever is i that treatment, it leaves my roots very soft and manageable.

All in all, I realy like this place becasue although I have TONS of newgrowth, the beautician in EXTREMELY gentle in how she handles my hair.

Last edited:
Hair Peace said:
How often do you go? What do you have them do? Wash and set? Blowout? Doobie wrap? Relaxer?

I've been going every two weeks for a wash and set. The last couple of times I went, I didn't get a blowout (I'm only five weeks post this Saturday). She just hands me a brush and I style it myself. I pin curl it at night and my hair is still soft and bouncy for the next few days.

I go to get my touch ups and sometimes for a wash set, and blow out my roots and a doobie. They do like to have your hair bone straight when you relax, so I always have to lie and say I burn easily so that they will be quick.

I'll only go to dominican salons for a wash & set and blowouts...I would never allow them to do a touch-up on my hair...I remember when I was younger and was going to them for touch-ups...they would leave the relaxer in my hair for a longtime...to the point that i'm dying in the chair b/c of how much it was burning (even when I would say it's burning their quote to me was always "No mami, it's not ready")...they always left my hair bone-straight...and to think of it ,I believe they have never used neutralizing shampoo (just some vinegar and shampoo mix)...I'm suprised my hair never fell out...I'm not syaing all dominican salons do that, but the one's i've experienced did.

I don't go as often since I am transitioning, maybe once or twice since May. When I do go, I get a wash, deep conditioner and set. I have to let them blow dry, otherwise it will frizz up very quickly. I no longer let them wrap my hair.

I think I'm going to stick to my original plan of going to my old stylist for touch-ups and to the Dominicans for a wash and set. I'll probably only let her blow out the roots when I'm 6 weeks post or more.
Thanks everybody!:rosebud:

Miss_Jetsetter said:
Currently, I am in the process of stretching for 24 months (Dec 1st I can finally relax--yay!)

I have been going to this GREAT Dominican salon for the last 3 months every two weeks, where I've been getting the $10 treatment. Sorry to say, i really don't know what the heck is in it (has a consistency similar to a hot oil treatment) but MAN OH MAN!!! my hair is soft as all get out and has unbelievable body for at least a week and a half.

This, I feel is what has allowed me to stretch for so long. matter of fact, i don't even let them blow dry my roots anymore. Honestly, it's just too much heat for my hair. But whatever is i that treatment, it leaves my roots very soft and manageable.

All in all, I realy like this place becasue although I have TONS of newgrowth, the beautician in EXTREMELY gentle in how she handles my hair.

What exactly are you doing to maintain your hair to enable you to stretch that long? When you go to the salon, do they do that treatment and then blow dry your hair or do they rollerset it? You must have a ton of new growth and I bet you are going to be in for a big surprise when you get your perm! Please post pics for us! I am trying to stretch to a measley 16 weeks and I keep looking and re-reading your post and saying "she said 24 MONTHS, not WEEKS....WOA!!!"

i use to go to the salon about 3x a moth not counting touch ups, but this is before i decided to b responsible to the health of my hair then i only went for touch ups but now i'm going to attempt to self relax i go agree with the other ladies that they relax it bone st8 when there're done almost 3/4 of my head is covered with creamy crack i guess thats why my hair was so thin and lifeless... sorry for the rambling oh yea i'm approaching 6mos post relaxer

I go for a blowout once a month, I used to go every 2 weeks, but my hair started to get slightly damaged. My hair is natural, but I would not dare let them do my touch ups if I was relaxed. I watch them constantly overlap people's hair all the time! I go to Maribel's 2 in Brooklyn on Nostrand and Atlantic. HTH

I've been going to Dominicans for 15 years now. Ever since I got relaxed.
As with every hairdresser you have to be careful and selective of who u go to. There are good and bad. I've definately had bad but majority good ones.

When I was at Maxie's 2 in Elizabeth, NJ a few years back for the summer. I use to get blowouts weekly, and occasionaly I would get some spiral curls with flat twists. Both turned out lovely, but I realized that too much blowouts (especially back to back) will start to thin your hair out. At Lillie's in ATL, I got blowouts every other week starting 3 weeks after I had a perm. I also got spiral curls there and I got a touch-up one time. All in all it wasn't that bad, its just that you have to be extremely careful with who you choose. Before getting a touch-up, you might want to carefully observe the stylists. So start small (and that is for any salon).

honey_jammz82 said:
I go for a blowout once a month, I used to go every 2 weeks, but my hair started to get slightly damaged. My hair is natural, but I would not dare let them do my touch ups if I was relaxed. I watch them constantly overlap people's hair all the time! I go to Maribel's 2 in Brooklyn on Nostrand and Atlantic. HTH

Hi Honey!! :wave:

When I was in NYC, I used to go to Maribel's on Flatbush and Foster. I didn't even know they had another location.

But I agree about the relaxers. About six weeks ago, I had a temporary case of insanity and had my hair relaxed by the Dominicans.

I thought I hit a goldmine because this lady spoke english well. I told her I didn't want it to be straight. Needless to say my hair is now bone-straight. I don't know how much straighter it could get. So now after five years of being natural and texturized, I have a full blown relaxer and have to start from scratch again. :mad:

I'll continue to go to the Dominicans for just a wash/treatment and blow out of the roots. That's it.

I just went yesterday to get my 1st touch up with them. Before I was just going for blow-outs. The stylist (owner) was really gentle with me. But I guess it is bone straight. But I don't mind. She had to cut my bad ends from when I used a lye-relaxer (ironically a couple months before this one and I didn't even tell her. She said something first as she washed my hair) so she noticed there were in bad condition and cut my hair even (of course showing me where she was cutting) and I agreed it was where the ends needed to come off so I am pleased. I will be going back in a couple weeks for a wash n set w/blow out.

She also went on to say don't use Affirm for my hair because it's too strong and to stay with Mizani as it's milder for me. She suggested I get a rinse next time I come too. I didn't have time to ask her why because I already been there longer than I hoped. She didn't charge me for the deep conditioner or the trim either. Any idea why a rinse would benefit me?

I know this was asked before but I couldnt find the thread but when you go for a Dominican blowout do you go in and say "I want a Dominican blowout?" or just a blowout?? :confused:

@ skyblu: depending on where you go, they ask u if "you want a blow or a wrappie?" If not, just tell them you want a blowout.

@honey & zora: I've heard about Maribel's but everytime I went past there it was always crowded. I used to go to "Las Estrellas" on Caton and E. 19th. I wonder if it's still there?:confused:

Back