For colored girls who have considered locs when the natural is enuf...

Okay, I know the thread title is a bit melodramatic, but I really want to know if any other naturals are considering locs in oder to reach their hair goals? Are locs the easiest way to get natural hair to grow down and long instead of out and up and all around?:drunk:

I had locs for 6 years. I cut them from BSL to SL then unraveled them. I don't think I'll go that route again. If I were to entertain the idea, I would definitely look into sister locs. They are much thinner and can give more versatility.

I am really looking forward to her book.

ETA: Melissa Harris Lacewell, "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Politics When Being Strong Wasn't Enough."

Harrison, what were the pros and cons of locs?

Thanks in advance.

I was able to literally do a wash and go and they always basically looked the same. Except at the roots of course. They were low maintenance for me, which is always number one in my book.

However, as they got longer- past shoulder blades- they became heavy. Since my hair is thick, my locs were thick also. But I'm one of those people that like to change things up, and my locs weren't versatile enough for that. If they were thinner, maybe, but not the ones I had before.

I was able to literally do a wash and go and they always basically looked the same. Except at the roots of course. They were low maintenance for me, which is always number one in my book.

However, as they got longer- past shoulder blades- they became heavy. Since my hair is thick, my locs were thick also. But I'm one of those people that like to change things up, and my locs weren't versatile enough for that. If they were thinner, maybe, but not the ones I had before.

I agree. I had locs for 3 1/2 yrs. I dyed it , braided it and I generally liked it because it was low maintenance.

As they got longer though, they got too heavy for me. There was also a tendency for them to hold odors (i.e. cig smoke)-but washing generally eliminated that problem. I did not like the build up I got-regardless of me staying away from cream based products, rinsing w/vinegar and not using a lot of hair products. I also did not like having them in the summer too :nono:.

I unraveled mine because ultimately, I wanted more versatility. Sometimes I do miss them, but I will put my hair in tow-strand twists and get a similar look. If I were to loc again, I would def. do sisterlocs in order to get more versaility.

I had locs for 5 years - got them precisely for the reason in the title, too! :lachen:

They were about - APL, I think, at their longest - but my hair 'compacts' down a LOT, and they were very thin. And then, I know the dying and bleaching didn't help, either. :look: So, first I cut them (shoulder length, then chin length) to try to get some of the 'umph' back, and then decided to take them out.

Right now, I can't see myself going back to locs - knowing my hair (even in the 5000000000000 times healthier and better condition than it was before) I'd end up cutting them off and taking them out, again.

Benefits: The ultimate wash & go - I 'did' something to my hair once every 6 weeks at the max (I tightened my own roots) and other than that, I rinsed it almost every other day, washed it when I felt like it needed it, and wore a scarf to bed (more to prevent lint getting into them, and because DH would roll on them).

Cons: None, really.

I would say a 'trial' period - go for a year with braids. If you are happy with that, and can see yourself working that 'kind' of hair for a while - loc.
If it drives you crazy, and you can't wait to get them out to get into your hair..... loc'ing might not be the best idea, right now.

:look: I also suspect that my 'loose' hair will be longer than APL in five years, too..... at least I hope so, since it's almost shoulder length in two - and I started from bald, this time, rather than the neck length hair I started my locs with.....

I wouldn't consider because of restricted styling options. My strategy is to hide my hair under several wigs most of the year until I hit WSL.

I wore locs for 5 years. I cut them off because I was tired of them, and I really felt that there was a lot of build up in the locs themselves, and I did not like that.... It looked really gross when I would try to pick the stuff out. I only used clear products on my hair, trying to avoid build up to no avail.

The length was great, but I wanted to play in my own loose natural hair. My hair is currently growing out and up, some down, but it is a process, and I am going to stick it out.

I wouldn't go back to locs again anytime soon. I just don't see the need at all. Two strand twists offer a similar look, with out the build up, and I can do a lot more with my hair now. Last weekend with heat protectant I flat ironed my hair, washed it 2 days later and now I am back to my twa.

Oooh, yeah, I forgot about the buildup *shudder* More likely blocked it out of my mind. I would sit, and pick, pick, pick, pick out lint. *sigh* That was actually what started me coloring my hair, trying to conceal the lint/buildup.
I think if you keep it covered most of the time, and use nothing but thin/watery cream-free products - you can avoid most of the lint/buildup - but lord, that's duller than protective styling! :look:

Sorry. I'm so not helping....

*slinks out of thread*

I didn't go natural with the intention of locing. I love the look of really thick locs, and outside of sisterlocs (already thin), I know that my thin hair would produce thin locs. :sad: I also don't want to worry about grooming them.

But I'd never "eliminate" the possiblity of getting locs one day--I think they're beautiful.

I had locs for 3 years back in college and the best thing about them was the fact that they were low maintenance! On the daily basis, I didn't have to DO my hair....

The horrible thing for ME was the fact that I had no clue how to take care of my hair back then so my locs were always sooo dry and my scalp was itchy & dry all the time...but that had nothing to do w/ the locs it was just me...so eventually I chopped them off due to my scalp problems..boy I wish I knew about unraveling the locs back then, I would have soooo much more hair right now--I'm not BITTER :perplexed LOL

I started my locs w/ very little hair and I hated the grow out process just because I really don't like short hair on me or hair that is not really short but not long enough to ponytail UHGGG (that's where I'm at now)....:wallbash:

But my hair loc'ed pretty quickly due to my 4B texture, so I didn't go through a lot of the issues that my then boyfriend (now husband) went through w/ them unraveling & getting tangled & collecting lint like crazy (he has 3a-b texture)...lint was not really a problem w/ me although I did have some, you could not see it at all....

My locs grew to just above my shoulders in the 3 years from a baldie and my favorite style that I wore was the crinkly look ( I just braided medium sized sections of my locs, wet them & let them air dry for the wavy, crinkly look)

I do not have plans of loc'ing anytime soon because I've been there done that and because I love the versatility of my natural loose hair....when I want big hair, I'll rock a fro or braid-out or twist-out and when I want a pretty updo or something else, I'll braid or twist my hair and get creative....I LOVE pics of the creative styles done on locs and I plan to do a lot of them w/ my hair in braids or twists when they get longer for the same effect!!

I say that if you are itching to try them and you really don't wear your hair in OUT styles that often and you really like how you look in box braids or twists, give it a shot!!! And if you don't like them, you don't HAVE to chop them off and start all over again if you don't want to...there are many sistahs who have unravelled them successfully even w/ mature locs 10+years.....:yep:

I had locs for 6 years. I cut them from BSL to SL then unraveled them. I don't think I'll go that route again. If I were to entertain the idea, I would definitely look into sister locs. They are much thinner and can give more versatility.

DITTO, I unraveled my 3year old locs. I loved them but am so much happier with my hair loose.

I think locs are beautiful and have considered getting them in the past. But I've passed on getting them because I'm in love with the versatility of free-flying natural hair. A few of my friends have sisterlocs and those are beautiful, as well. I think the poster who suggested wearing braids for a while to see if you get tired of them had a good idea (so long as your hair doesn't become damaged from that :perplexed) Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

BTW: Love the title of this thread and I love Ntozake Shange!

I had locs for 6.5 years before I cut them off in October.
Like everyone else, they got too heavy for me. I was constantly cutting them back until I had enough. I wanted to play in my loose nappy hair for a while :grin:
If I go back to locs, I may go the sisterlocs route but it is just too damn expensive for me :nono:
But sometimes I miss them :yep:

I had locs for 6.5 years before I cut them off in October.
Like everyone else, they got too heavy for me. I was constantly cutting them back until I had enough. I wanted to play in my loose nappy hair for a while :grin:
If I go back to locs, I may go the sisterlocs route but it is just too damn expensive for me :nono:
But sometimes I miss them :yep:

I miss the length, really. That was the first time I've ever had hair that long, and it was fabulous. That's actually what led me hair - I wanted my loose hair, but I NEEDED long hair.

I wore locs for about 5 years.

PROS: loved the look; easy care

CONS: Buildup of lint and such; sloooooow drying time. Plus I just missed having loose hair.

I'm not completely natural yet but dreads are not for me. I LOVE playing in my hair and would miss my loose hair too much. I love dreads on women though, especially when they are thin to medium sized. I had a friend who had the most beautiful BSL dreads.

can someone explain the unraveling process? my sister has past APL locs (they're thin dreads, but not quite thin enough to be sisterloc sized), and she's seriously thinking of taking them apart.

isn't the unraveled hair extremely damaged?

You know, I actually considered it for a while when I ran into some CRAZY detangling issues. But I think I've gotten my hair under better control now. This thread came at a good time for me though, it's nice to see all kinds of options for styling.

I was thinking about this when I get older though (like 60-70+), cuz man, I don't wanna be clanking around with a cane and having to detangle. I may just go for one big ol loc. Just ONE. No retwisting or anything. :lachen:

I do think locs are beautiful, and I love seeing some of the styles they do with the longer ones as well. And I also like seeing the ones with color on just the ends.
But, if my hair does get to be too much for me, and I'm NOT quite to 60, then I would definitely consider locs. My mom had them all while I was growing up.

I love seeing the pros and cons as well. Can we get some more?

ETA: as for the takedown, from what I've read you can snip off the ends, condition them really really well and be prepared to comb for a long time. How much time depends on how many locs you have and their thickness. It can be done though. I've seen before and after shots and the hair looks just fine to me. But I've never loced myself.

can someone explain the unraveling process? my sister has past APL locs (they're thin dreads, but not quite thin enough to be sisterloc sized), and she's seriously thinking of taking them apart.

isn't the unraveled hair extremely damaged?

My hair was pretty damaged - BUT - I had also recently bleached and dyed my dreads - so I wasn't suprised.

I think that virgin dreads, when taken down, can be a relatively healthy head of hair.

If you've colored them though.... :ohwell: I dunno.

The hair shouldn't be damaged - it's just a LOT of shed hair hanging around....

Okay, I know the thread title is a bit melodramatic, but I really want to know if any other naturals are considering locs in oder to reach their hair goals? Are locs the easiest way to get natural hair to grow down and long instead of out and up and all around?:drunk:

I'm using locs as my path to length. My hair hasn't been this long since I was a child. Since my natural hair is rather thin and fragile it was prone to breakage no matter how gentle I was with it, so locs have been the perfect solution for me.

PROS: Low maintenance; I style them in a variety of styles and can mimic just about any loose hair style; I'm achieving length naturally with my own hair.

CONS: So far after 3+ years I haven't found any.

Back