Flat irons + Blow Dryers = THE DEVIL!

Innocent_Kiss

I swear if I don't know nothin' else about hair care, I know that constant use of thermal appliances were created by satan!!!!!!!!!!! Please ladies, if you are using them on a consistent basis, PLEASE S-T-O-P! I wore kinky twist back to back for a year. I took my hair down and got a relaxer. Beautiful, healthy, shoulder length hair. About a month of "bumping" my hair in the mornings and wash and sets at the salon and now by healthy ends are starting to look straggly and I'm noticing breakage in my hair utensils after usage. Before things get out of hand, I ordered some Jamaican Black Castor Oil and ORS Hair Mayonnaise. I'm going to use the ORS bi-weekly and the JBCO daily. I'll post results later.

Roller wraps for me from now until the day I die.

I'm sorry to read that. I'm a natural and I blow dry and flat iron, my hair is tough as nails though so I've never experience breakage from the combination, but I have experience breakage from other bad habits......

I want to depend on roller wraps but I can't seem to get the hang of it.... But I'm glad you found what works for you....

This is the first time Im doing no heat; over the summer I had good results with airdying instead of blowdrying.. but the CHI is the devil if you use it everyday :(
but now I broke it &Ill be finnnee.

Heat appliances, protein and moisture ALL can be the debil if overused. If used correctly, like Gymfreak said, you don't have to have damage from them. Also, what protectants were you using when you used your blow dryer and flat iron? That can make a HUGE difference.

I flat iron once a week and my hair is okay. Anything done too much or wrong can cause trouble. With heat use, i up the moisture and dc's. I also use a heat protectant whenever i apply heat. I am sorry about your experience though.

Yes I am curious to hear what products you used (or didn't), was it on clean or dirty hair, how high was the heat, etc. This thread should say: Misuse of heat is the Devil!:grin:

for sure the blow dryer is the anti-christ.....but i can mess with the flat iron once a week.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread, lol. I'm just being nosey since I'm considering investing in a blow dryer and flat iron. :ohwell:

look in my 2005 & 2006 albums in my fotki. I blow dried and flat ironed my hair once a week and my hair still thrived. I just had to have trims more often. :yep:

I did say consistent use! I used flat irons every other day and as a "protectant" Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer. I only bumped my ends, never really flat ironing my whole head. It's definitely important to switch up with no heat hairstyles sometimes :)

for sure the blow dryer is the anti-christ.....but i can mess with the flat iron once a week.

Your signature is killing me. I can just hear some old jamaican lady saying it with such venom in her voice lol. Oh man.

I did say consistent use! I used flat irons every other day and as a "protectant" Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer. I only bumped my ends, never really flat ironing my whole head. It's definitely important to switch up with no heat hairstyles sometimes :)

I think that is where you messed up. I don't think Mango Butter is a heat protectant :perplexed. I think you cooked it onto your ends and then your hair broke off.

^^ I agree with Sui. :yep:

I came into this thread because I've been using the blow dryer and flat iron over the past 6 weeks or so, and thought I was doing okay because I deep conditioned and used a heat protectant. But when I got a touch up and looked at my ends, I was like :shocked: :eek: !! They looked like a rat had been chewing on them. Heat is the devil for MY HAIR. I must have forgotten that I got the most growth when the only heat my hair saw was the dome dryer from the weekly rollerset.

I should have stayed true to my avatar and stuck with the rollersets. My hair hates blow dryers and flat irons but I thought I'd try it because everyone else was doing it. That's what I get for being a follower. :rolleyes: :lol:

Back to ORS and EQP Breakage Control Serum (if I can find it).

Um, in my humble opinion it's not the flat-iron and the blowdryer, it's the "bumping" every day. That was my main problem when I found LHCF. Direct heat used in moderation is fine, but every day leads to dry, crispy ends.

Every other day isn't consistent use... that's over use (especially for the ends which are the oldest and more weathered part of the hair strand). Also, Elasta Mango Butter isn't a protetectant.

IA that alternating with no heat styles is great.

I swear if I don't know nothin' else about hair care, I know that constant use of thermal appliances were created by satan!!!!!!!!!!! Please ladies, if you are using them on a consistent basis, PLEASE S-T-O-P! I wore kinky twist back to back for a year. I took my hair down and got a relaxer. Beautiful, healthy, shoulder length hair. About a month of "bumping" my hair in the mornings and wash and sets at the salon and now by healthy ends are starting to look straggly and I'm noticing breakage in my hair utensils after usage. Before things get out of hand, I ordered some Jamaican Black Castor Oil and ORS Hair Mayonnaise. I'm going to use the ORS bi-weekly and the JBCO daily. I'll post results later.

Roller wraps for me from now until the day I die.

I agree heat is bad when used without protectants and every day...I use heat once a week (4 times a month)....so is not so much abuse.....

Please recommend some heat protectants! I'm thinking about Caruso Steam Rollers. I'm a HARD sleeper. I mean, by morning, sometimes my head scarf is under the bed. How'd it get there??? I have no idea! When I'm wearing my hair straight, I usually have to bump it again. Or maybe I should just get satin pillow cases? I swear I'm about 2 seconds from getting kinky twist again :(

Heat Protectants:

Redken Smooth Glide
Motions Heat Protectant
Beyond the Zone Turn up the Heat
FHI Hot Sauce

I use a satin pillow case and a satin bonnet. Have you tried the cross wrap or wearing pin curls to bed?

Please recommend some heat protectants! I'm thinking about Caruso Steam Rollers. I'm a HARD sleeper. I mean, by morning, sometimes my head scarf is under the bed. How'd it get there??? I have no idea! When I'm wearing my hair straight, I usually have to bump it again. Or maybe I should just get satin pillow cases? I swear I'm about 2 seconds from getting kinky twist again :(

Chi serum and Redken heatglide are very good. Have you tried pin curling nightly? I think bumping your ends daily is the problem and not using a heat protectant.

No, ladies, I've never tried pincurling at night. I'll definitely look it up, though! I searched through the threads and someone gave a really good review on Silk Elements Olive Heat Protection Spray. Definitely might give that a try.

Also look into the satin covered sponge rollers. They are easy to sleep on and you'll already have curl in the a.m. without the need for bumping.

FHI Hot Sauce is the best heat protectant I have ever used!!

I blow dried and flatironed with a heat protectant and my hair still broke out.

I use Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum and it does the trick. Motions also has a good protectant i like. A lot of people like the one by Silk Elements as well.

Back