Flat Ironing Natural Hair

princessdi

I'm contemplating going natural, but I would still want to wear my hair straight during holidays and other special occasions.

For those of you who are natural and occasionally wear your hair straight, how do you get your roots straight and your hair super shiny? :rolleyes:

I am an natural 4 a/b and I just flat-ironed my hair yesterday (sorry, no pics). I set my hair on rollers (to get it stretched out) and let it air dry all day. Prior to doing that, I washed and conditioned with Kenra products. I detangled with Qhemet Biologics detangler and a little of the Amla and Olive heavy cream. I set it on the rollers and let it air dry. I used a Sedu flat iron and some "Ion" heat protectant. To get the ends straight, I ran my Denman brush through the ends as I was flat ironing them. It came out silky smooth and shiny. Today, I am going to run a small bit of coconut oil through my hair. I will try to post pics after I get out of the shower. HTH!

I'm contemplating going natural, but I would still want to wear my hair straight during holidays and other special occasions.

For those of you who are natural and occasionally wear your hair straight, how do you get your roots straight and your hair super shiny? :rolleyes:

Well I generally rollerset, saran wrap, and if needed afterwards flatiron my roots. Secret weapons of choice : chi silk infusion & cantu shea butter leave-in:lick:. I just did the set/saran wrap last night and it came out even better than before :grin: + I get to keep my ends split free. It also helps stretch your hair considerably so that you only have to use very little direct heat

Last edited:
I am an natural 4 a/b and I just flat-ironed my hair yesterday (sorry, no pics). I set my hair on rollers (to get it stretched out) and let it air dry all day. Prior to doing that, I washed and conditioned with Kenra products. I detangled with Qhemet Biologics detangler and a little of the Amla and Olive heavy cream. I set it on the rollers and let it air dry. I used a Sedu flat iron and some "Ion" heat protectant. To get the ends straight, I ran my Denman brush through the ends as I was flat ironing them. It came out silky smooth and shiny. Today, I am going to run a small bit of coconut oil through my hair. I will try to post pics after I get out of the shower. HTH!

Great! I can't wait to see. Thanks for responding.:grin:

Back