Flat-Iron Advice

Lucky

The weather's finally turned nice and has remained so in a consistent manner for the past several days. I am now ready to flat-iron my hair and share the photos for all to enjoy! I have done it before but I'd appreciate any tips that all of you can offer to make it a success.

For example: how do I get to the roots, where should I start, what products should I use to prepare and/or use during the straightening process?

Thanks to all,
Lucky

i don't know how to reach the roots (i get mine with a curling iron), but i flat ironed my hair this morning and it looks so good that i think i'm capable of givin' a lil advice.
wink.gif
now before i do anything i saturate my damp hair in s-curl. then i add some thermasilk conditioning cream. then i airdry my hair or you can blowdry. next i add two drops of hair polish, i like fantasia hair polish, on my dry hair. then i take 2 inch sections of hair and start flat ironing my hair. i let it stay on my hair for only 5-8 seconds to avoid so much heat as possible. when i'm finished my hair is smooth and sleek!
smile.gif

Have you ever tried a ceramic flat iron? It is really thin(about 1 1/2 inches in width). It makes it easier to get to those roots. I use it to press my natural hair sometimes and when I do it people ask me if I have a relaxer! It is also supposed to be less damaging. I have asked stylist and they say that you can use it daily. Although I would never do that! Also have you ever tried Matrix sleek look extreme styling creme? It works wonders. My sister's hair is like yours and I used it on her hair along with the flat iron. It turned out perfectly straight and soft. Make sure you put it on while wet before blow drying or air drying. You can purchase it at any professional hair salon. It costs about $8.00. I would love to see the results!!
ooo.gif

dontspeakdefeat said:
Have you ever tried a ceramic flat iron? It is really thin(about 1 1/2 inches in width). It makes it easier to get to those roots. I use it to press my natural hair sometimes and when I do it people ask me if I have a relaxer! It is also supposed to be less damaging. I have asked stylist and they say that you can use it daily. Although I would never do that! Also have you ever tried Matrix sleek look extreme styling creme? It works wonders. My sister's hair is like yours and I used it on her hair along with the flat iron. It turned out perfectly straight and soft. Make sure you put it on while wet before blow drying or air drying. You can purchase it at any professional hair salon. It costs about $8.00. I would love to see the results!!
ooo.gif

I just used this and I think it is going to be a keeper. I am 10 weeks post relaxer and truly frizzed out (still trying to figure that one out- I am wondering do I need to change relaxers or relaxer types (lye or no-lye) Anyway, I got it from our first LHCF meeting we had in Raleigh in mid- September. At first, I was going to give it to a friend because I know she has natural bra past bra strap hair and she is interested in straightening without the reversion. I am sorry to say that she will not be getting this particular tube :lol: ! But I will get her one. I really like it. My ends were really dry and they feel alot better (and they usually dry frizzy but didn't this time). I am glad my first use was free because I don't think I would have used it initially without a sample being that I didn't know it effects. The price the individual paid was 12.95 for a 5.1 fl oz tube. I will look around at the various prices to see if I can find in a lower range but it will definitely be a keeper!

I want to flat iron my natural hair soon too- this thread is going to be really helpful. My question is how many times do you go over a section when flat iron w/out causing damage?

natstar said:
I want to flat iron my natural hair soon too- this thread is going to be really helpful. My question is how many times do you go over a section when flat iron w/out causing damage?

I would only go over 3 times at the most.

i have found out with my maxiglide if my hair is completly dry i only need to pass it through once also i spray it with Loreal studio line new hot spring heat activated curling spray i spray this when it is a little damp let it dry and hit it with the maxiglide it last about a week but the weather has been crazy 80 and humid one day today 45

HTH

natstar said:

I go over each section twice, but kinda slowly. I use my ceramic FHI flat iron for my natural hair.

Back