Fixing Underprocessed Hair

Aveena

I relaxed my hair last night (2nd time) with Silk Elements Regular. I guess I wasn't fast enough putting it in because the timer went off as soon as I finished applying and I didn't have time to check for missed spots or smooth before it start burning.

I know it's underprocessed because it's not straight. I'm frustrated because I know when I wash again it's going to look like I didn't do anything at all.

This is my 2nd perm gone wrong :confused:. I know practice makes perfect and part of me wants to try again but I don't want to ruin my hair. :perplexed Any suggestions on how long I should wait before trying to correct this?

wait at least 6 weeks before correcting it. AND PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: NEVER APPLY YOUR OWN RELAXER! have a friend do it for you.

I had this same problem recently also but it was actually my friend that underprocessed me, what makes it worse is that the roots are straight but the underprocessed hair is in the middle. I went to a hair salon and they told me to try to wait 4-6wks.

Thanks... I think I'll wait :ohwell:. I guess I'm stuck with protective styles for another 6 weeks or longer...

I feel ya on this one. On my first time self relaxing, I used Silk Elements and I thought the second the timer struck 18 min. I had to immediately rinse my hair. Mine came out underprocessed too and I just bit the bullet and armed with my Maxiglide, waited 10 weeks for my next touch up. :antlers:

I just re-touched this past weekend again with SE lye regular strength and this time left the relaxer on for 22 min. the maximum time recomended for coarse hair. My hair came out beautifully, much better than it EVER came out in all the years I went to the salon to have it done. My hair is straight yet with body and incredible silkiness. Those extra minutes made all the world of difference. :yep:

hth :)

I've had that problem before..my hairdresser combed out the relaxer a bit further on the underprocessed hair just before rinsing it out. She also change the strength by adding 1/3 super to the regular relaxer to help it take.

Back