First Good Hair Comment of the Year and $161 for hairstyle!

chicacanella

I haven't posted on here in a while and I guess this post may be funny and kind of sad at the same time.

Today, I got a relaxer after almost 11 months, so I had about 5-6 inches of newgrowth. I also got a haircut and a conditioning treatment. The total was around $160.:look: Okay, I guess that isn't bad considering that my stylist (which I just found out) doesn't consider more than 1 inch worth of new growth as a touch up but more like giving someone a fresh relaxer.

So, I haven't been wearing my hair down since last June and this is the first time for the year. Well, while I was parking my car near campus a meter maid and I struck up a conversation. I know you all are wondering, "Why would anyone converse with a meter maid?" But it just so happened that the meter was clocking everyone for 15 minutes for 25 cents and she resolved the situation by saying we didn't have to put any money in the meter because of the problem and it was her turf so she would remember our cars.

Well, we got on the topic of hair and I was telling her that I had to go and pick up a key for my new job. I told her that I was trying to get it before the hairdresser but one of the Account Executives that was suppose to give me the key wasn't there in the morning when I called. So she says, "You went to the hairdresser?" I said, "Yes." She said, "It doesn't look like it." I said, "oh." :ohwell: She said, "The wind has blew all the curls out." I said, "It was really curly before and I don't like that anyway." Then I tell her what I got done, which included a relaxer. Then she says, "Oh, you must have that good hair right?" I said, "No."

I don't believe in that term in which she was applying it, I know she meant wavy and all that stuff and I did not feel like standing there explaining the true meaning of good hair. My hair around APL after the cut, maybe a bit longer which I guess IMO isn't that long but in the real world, it is to many people. It kind of took me off guard a bit but then she started telling me about going to her beutician. "His hair is all down his back too and he can do your hair well, blah, blah, blah." Now, she is wearing a wig and there is nothing wrong with that. She could have the most healthiest, longest hair in the world but before I go to someone beautician I would at least like to see there hair, ya know? :ohwell:

Do you guys take time to explain "good hair" to "regular hair people" or just let them think whatever?

I like to think people know they're being ignorant when they say someone has "good hair." By now people should know how offensive that is to those with kinky hair. I personally wouldn't explain *ish* to any stranger and put myself in a difficult situation!

Did she give you his name and salon? check it out by going by the salon and see if he has long hair..

As you already know (LOL) being a member of LHCF, I am very weary about going to anyone for a regular style, let alone a relaxer.:perplexed

She considers my hair long being only APL and says his hair is "all down his back too" so I guess she is considering his hair to be long too. I didn't even bother asking her for his name or salon but she told me what city it is was in.

I mean, I guess $161 is ok considering my hair looked like a lions mane after taking it out of my bun. It is seriously thick and he always jokes that nothing can thin my hair out! :lachen: I got a haircut and a Shwarkopz (SP) conditioning treatment and because of my hair length and thickness, he had to use extra.

I don't school people on good hair vs bad hair.

I've had people tell me I have good hair and I'm a nappy arse 4a wearing a twistout :lol:

I either say thank you (I guess it's a compliment?) or say something along the lines of "My hair is just as nappy as yours."

Everyone can't be hair enlightened, I don't even stress about that :)

I like to think people know they're being ignorant when they say someone has "good hair." By now people should know how offensive that is to those with kinky hair. I personally wouldn't explain *ish* to any stranger and put myself in a difficult situation!

I don't know if she knew her comment was stupid or if she thought it was a compliment. Many people do think the "good hair" comment is a compliment and yeah, you are right-it's because of ignorance. You are right, explaining something in 5 minutes to someone who has had it engrained in them all their life is a futile task at best. Maybe if a black hiar revolution kicks off, the "good hair" comment will go crawl under a rock somewhere.:lachen: But then, I am thinking people will still stay idiotic and claim that the 10% of black women with long healthy hair (because the percentage is no where near that now I would assume) still have good hair as an excuse for them to keep on believing healthy hair is only for the select few.:ohwell:

I don't school people on good hair vs bad hair.

I've had people tell me I have good hair and I'm a nappy arse 4a wearing a twistout :lol:

I either say thank you (I guess it's a compliment?) or say something along the lines of "My hair is just as nappy as yours."

Everyone can't be hair enlightened, I don't even stress about that :)

If we took the time to do that, we would waste many, many days in a year! Seriously, the ignorance is massive!:lachen::nono:

i dont see how the comment was stupid. we must remember that just because we found LHCF and there are many women on here there are still millions of women who havent found this forum yet. with that said how many of you used the term "good hair" or took it with a smile because it was a compliment before you realized that there is no such thing.
if the comment was ignorant (and this is not directed at one particular poster) then why dont you help instead of just shaking your head or judging. that sounds just like promotion of ignorance to me

It may take a little longer to school people, but I am not shamed and pretty much tell customers how I feel at my job. This one older female customer a few months ago was shopping with her friend and made a remark about her having "good hair" (I was showing them products from our haircare line). I immediately said, "If you have a healthy head of hair, you've got what you term good hair." This may be why my manager has taken me off the schedule 'cause I tend to be blunt. I saw how her friend looked when she said it like here we go again.

Back