Fine haired ladies..Do you rock Twist Outs????

Pretty1008

I was just wondering if any of you natural ladies with fine hair rocked twist outs???? And if so what products give you the best results??.. Just curious because KCCC & Miss Jessie's both did nothing for me but weigh my hair down and make it greasy...

Thanks Ladies!!! & Happy Thanksgiving!!!

i prefer braidouts... all i use is a little tresseme for curls on each section... i don't use too much product because it makes my hair look kinda gross... thats a braidout w/tresseme only in my siggy

my hair is fine to med btw it varies

I don't like twist outs my hair is too fine!!!!! However, I do bigger twists for a fluffier look and I do undo the twists.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Yeah, I don't do twist outs either (they don't look right.) I do braid outs using coconut oil- just a little bit will do. I save my leave-ins and gel for my wash and go's

Yes. I have to use huge twists and conditioner only. They come out better if I start with dry hair, but last longer if I do them right after cowashing.

I consider myself fine haired, though I have alot of strands on my hair, but I rock twistouts often, I love them, I have pictures in my fotki if you want to see.

I have fine haired new natural and I did a twistout yesterday. I really didn't like it too much. This time when I did my twists I used products with more hold so hopefully this time it will look better. I used Afroveda Totally twisted and a pomade that I made. I'm sure any good pomade will do.

I have very fine hair but a lot of strands. I am doing a twist-out now. I co-washed with VO5 Tea-Therapy and used HE long term relationship and Paul Mitchell's The Creme. I let it airdry about 70% of the way. I sectioned my hair into 4 parts and sprayed each section with Aussie sprunch spray, twisted each section and twirled it into a bantu knot and pinned it up. When it dries, it makes big soft curls, and I think it's cute. Everyone compliments me on it. When I take them out, I'll try to take some pics. :yep:

I do twist outs, knot outs, and braid outs. My favorite is knot outs because of the depth you can create by twisting the knots before you turn them into knots. I do it a few different ways.

1. I do it with wet towel dried hair and leave-ins (LTR, castor or coconut oil) applied. This usually come out tighter and lasts longer.
2. 80% dry blow dried hair and leave-ins. Softer curls that are like big waves. I have a pic of this one.

close-vi.jpg

I had to have a lighter hand with the leave in on the semi-dry hair. If it's too moisturized, the curls will not hold.

I do twist outs, knot outs, and braid outs. My favorite is knot outs because of the depth you can create by twisting the knots before you turn them into knots. I do it a few different ways.

1. I do it with wet towel dried hair and leave-ins (LTR, castor or coconut oil) applied. This usually come out tighter and lasts longer.
2. 80% dry blow dried hair and leave-ins. Softer curls that are like big waves. I have a pic of this one.

close-vi.jpg

I had to have a lighter hand with the leave in on the semi-dry hair. If it's too moisturized, the curls will not hold.

Very pretty! :yep: How long does it last? How do you maintain the style?

I do twistouts because they give my hair volume. I have fine strands but a lot of them. I usually use a leave in conditioner and then Ecostyler gel for hold. Sometimes I apply a little oil for sheen but not too much as it will weigh my hair down.

I have a twist out pic in my album if you want to see...
I have no idea how to take a pic from my album and post in a thread :S

Over the last 2 weeks I did twistouts with Nexxus Gorgeous Curls mousse but um I have noticed MAD tangles and knots, so I think I am going to stop for a while until I figure what the heck it is I'm doing wrong. :perplexed

Very pretty! :yep: How long does it last? How do you maintain the style?

Thanks! By itself without anything to hold the style wet set for about four to five days and dry set about half that long. If I want my curls tight I twist the knots tight first then make them into knots.... if I want looser waves just a loose twist then knot it. I don't use any holding spray or mousse because I don't like the way it makes my hair feel.

You can maintain it indefinitely by moisturizing and just re-knotting at night. You can play around with the tension and number of knots for a fuller look or soft waves/curls here and there. :yep:

What is the link to your album? I looked in your profile and siggy and couldn't find it.

If you click on my name Fine 4s, it should take you to the pictures in my album. Let me know if that works, not sure what my privacy settings are...

Fine hair checkin in. I'm really getting good at twisting. I feel good b/c I can finally wear my hair out (I never did before because I didn't have curls but wavy frizzy mess with a wng).
Here is how I did the twist and curl in my signature

Twists (I do it in the morning wet and let it dry in the car during my commute)
IMGP2614.jpg

unraveling twists (still damp)
IMGP2621.jpg

2 hours later - still slightly damp but mostly dry
IMGP2624.jpg

end of work day - dry
My ends used to unravel . Now I twirl my ends around my finger with some kind of holding product (KCCC or Ecostyler) and let it dry.

IMGP2646.jpg

I did and would again if I had the patience to retwist every night only to undo the next day. :nono: Once I put twists in, I'm done. Won't bother with my hair till lawd-knows-when. So when I undo those old twists, instead of getting a fluffy twist-out like I used to get, I get a look that resembles wavy locs. I did like the illusion of having locs for a while but I'm so over it now, that wavy loc look anyway. One time I thought I could soften that look by wetting the "locs" but I ended up with some confusion on my head. :lol: Now that I'm looking at that pic :scratchch I wonder if there isn't a way to make each section look like a straight loc (as the bases of the sections at the crown look) and not have that fraying look on the ends :scratchch Oooh :think: Maybe I can wrap the wavy locs to stretch them out and see what that becomes....

I think if I wore twists for a sort while, I could probably get the fluffy/soft-looking twist-out I had in that first pic. Unlike the locs, the hair was bouncy and looked/felt soft. But I think with every passing year, my patience wears thinner so I doubt I'll be undoing twists a few days after doing them so... :ohwell:

Oh I don't use any products.

close-vi.jpg

This is beautiful. It looks like a rod set or something. I would love to see the pictures of what it looks like while you are doing it.

I did and would again if I had the patience to retwist every night only to undo the next day. :nono: Once I put twists in, I'm done. Won't bother with my hair till lawd-knows-when. So when I undo those old twists, instead of getting a fluffy twist-out like I used to get, I get a look that resembles wavy locs. I did like the illusion of having locs for a while but I'm so over it now, that wavy loc look anyway. One time I thought I could soften that look by wetting the "locs" but I ended up with some confusion on my head. :lol: Now that I'm looking at that pic :scratchch I wonder if there isn't a way to make each section look like a straight loc (as the bases of the sections at the crown look) and not have that fraying look on the ends :scratchch Oooh :think: Maybe I can wrap the wavy locs to stretch them out and see what that becomes....

I think if I wore twists for a sort while, I could probably get the fluffy/soft-looking twist-out I had in that first pic. Unlike the locs, the hair was bouncy and looked/felt soft. But I think with every passing year, my patience wears thinner so I doubt I'll be undoing twists a few days after doing them so... :ohwell:

Oh I don't use any products.

Your twistouts are sooo cute! I can't see the wavy one though.

Your twistouts are sooo cute! I can't see the wavy one though.

Thanks.

I'll see if I can see a photo of the wavy one showing my whole head at home and add it, but here is what I posted again:
toutfromOldTwistslookslikeLocs-vi.jpg

Not sure why it didn't show.

Last edited:
I just think that my hair is just tooo fine for a twist out.. nothing holds right now..... even when I do a braid out.. I can't use anything... maybe very con...hmmm.. Imma have to revisit the style once I'm all natural! :grin:

Mine do not come out presentable. I am trying to perfect them but taking a hiatus from trying for a while.

I've been doing 2 strand flat twist outs and I'll alternate with Oyin curly pudding or David Babaii volcanic ash clay. It gives great definition and hold. My hair is very fine as well BTW.
Textureandtwists005-vi.jpg

I also used pretty nice sized twists and wrap flexirods on the ends. I left some twists in on the front.
Textureandtwists007-vi.jpg

I love muh twist outs! But I didn't really love them until I descover ORS Twist and Loc Gel. However the first day always "meh" for me, but the day two and beyond I am sooooooo "in love"

Back