FINE HAIR LADIES - CAN WE TALK?

peacelove

All ladies that have fine hair, I am curious what products you use, and in particular what relaxer. I have decided I am not going to have my sister relax my hair at home from now on, and I am determined to find relaxer other than Affirm Mild because I don't want to do through the trouble of ordering and shipping relaxers online.

So what products do you use and love for your fine hair? What relaxers work for you? I will say I am very pleased with Poracity Control shampoo and conditioner, but am still trying to figure out the best daily regimine for my hair!

I actually buy my affirm from the store for 29 sumthing... here in NY... I just need to find another beauty parlor, because I pay like 50 and I take my own perm in...

I use MTG, which I have noticed is making my hair thicker, additional I have several other products that I mix together...

I use most of the products in the Elasta QP line. They don't weigh my hair down and they are very affordable. I use the Elasta QP relaxer in normal. I have used Nexxus Diametress (sp?) before and it does a good job in making your hair appear thicker. HTH :)

AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
I actually buy my affirm from the store for 29 sumthing... here in NY... I just need to find another beauty parlor, because I pay like 50 and I take my own perm in...

I use MTG, which I have noticed is making my hair thicker, additional I have several other products that I mix together...

Do you use the lye or no lye? I have only been able to find the no lye in the stores.

I love bantu mild relaxer. I also like UBH moisturizer because it doesn't weigh my hair down. Love evoo, tigi bed head leave-in, Ao gpb, Aphogee is the bestest heavy protein ever, and of course my faithful kenra

peacelove said:
Do you use the lye or no lye? I have only been able to find the no lye in the stores.
I use the Affirm lye

Are you located in NYC, because I can tell you of several locations that you can get it from without a license, and without shipping cost it isnt that much seems like a no lye fee(~$30), considering the size you get... I get the tub... and had it since last summer, and have more to last me at least till around valentines day...

AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
I use the Affirm lye

Are you located in NYC, because I can tell you of several locations that you can get it from without a license, and without shipping cost it isnt that much seems like a no lye fee(~$30), considering the size you get... I get the tub... and had it since last summer, and have more to last me at least till around valentines day...

Oh yes, please do! I am in NJ, so I have no problem going into the city. I am there all the time anyways. Thanks!

I use the Mild lye. I don't like no lye at all.

One location is on 32nd street between 6th & 7th, right up from entrance to penn station in front of madison square garden, and another is btw 105 &104th and columbus, which is where I get mines from...

The one on 34th, I believe is a little more but less than buying from online.... I know for a fact that one on 105th is 29.99, and has all the steps to go with it... I believe the poo is ~6-9 something and the conditon ~9-11, full size...

O yeh I use the Mild Lye also

Im using phyto index I ....but im thinking i may have to switch to something more cheaper and reasonable so im thinking about trying Vitale since theres a big rave over that relaxer....i tried Affirm but my hair was so so dry from that relaxer so i dont know if i can handle the lye relaxers...i dont really have a specific brand of prducts that i use...i mean i use MTG i love the ORS Temple Balm., and surge 14...

I just got a touch-up 2 weeks ago at a Dominican Salon for the first time. The stylist put Affirm Sensitive Scalp relaxer in my hair. I like the relaxer so far. My friend normally does my hair and when she does she uses the ORS Relaxer. This relaxer is a really good one for my fine hair.

I am such a product junkie and have so many different products in my closet. What seems to work the best for me is Keracare, however, my hair seems to not react the same to it anymore. I'm going to start using the Elucence products that are in my closet this weekend.

I just went out last weekend and purchased jojoba and sweet almond oils they seem to work really well for my ends.

I've noticed for my fine hair "less is more" avoiding putting a lot of product in my hair.

I use Dark & lovely regular...but I may switch to mild. Um, er, I also use Salerm poo & con. which work pretty well. The wheat germ mask makes my hair feel nice and plump.

for me, mizani mild every 10-12 weeks works wonderfully---but I am considering extending that to even longer and even considering transitioning to a texturizer.

I use Mizani mild. Before that I used to use Motions Mild. I'm a faithful user of Nexxus Botanic Oil (it has Safflower Oil, Sunflower Oil and others) . A hairstylist recommended it to me once and I've been sold ever since. It does not weigh my hair down at all.

I'm a fine-haired girl and I use Mizani sensitive scalp. I have used this relaxer (done by a professional) for the last 4 years (the entire time I have been wearing a perm). My hair loves it and I always have a really nice, soft texture. I am very pleased with this product.

Mizani Sensitive Scalp relaxer works great for me.
I get great results with Kan Kanechomn Jaborandi Deep Conditioner for fragile hair and Silicon Mix Conditioner.

When I lived in the chicago and new york area I first went to a white salon for my relaxers. They used one called French Perm. I used it for a touch up also. After leaving those area's I started doing the revlon and dark a lovely. Those were harder on my hair and thus the days of damage relaxed hair begun. I don't know the difference but I was told the ones designed for caucasion hair was milder. It made a difference in my hair and mine is really fine 3bc2c type hair.

AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
One location is on 32nd street between 6th & 7th, right up from entrance to penn station in front of madison square garden, and another is btw 105 &104th and columbus, which is where I get mines from...

The one on 34th, I believe is a little more but less than buying from online.... I know for a fact that one on 105th is 29.99, and has all the steps to go with it... I believe the poo is ~6-9 something and the conditon ~9-11, full size...

O yeh I use the Mild Lye also

wonderful. Thanks so much!

Affirm fiberguard no-lye caused shedding but no burns
Affirm lye-mild, burned /left hair underprocessed because could not leave it on long.
Mizani lye-burned, hair stuck to head for days.
Only thing that worked for me,
Vitale Life and Body "iN the BLUE and WHite Jar"-the original formula.
If your read and research about this particular product I think you will be pleased at what most people have to say. Not just on this site. Take care.

I am not a hair expert but I have dermatitis/Very sensitive scalp--My dermatologist told me I could never have a relaxer again. Vitale proved her wrong.

Affirm fiberguard for sensitive scalp no lye or affirm medicated sensitive scalp has always worked well form me. Other Products that have worked best for my fine hair includes:
Kera care - shampoo, and humectress, essential oils, silken seal
Nexxus - Moisturizing shampoo and Therappe Humectress, Keraphix, Hair thickening shampoo
UBH Moisturizer

peacelove said:
All ladies that have fine hair, I am curious what products you use, and in particular what relaxer. I have decided I am not going to have my sister relax my hair at home from now on, and I am determined to find relaxer other than Affirm Mild because I don't want to do through the trouble of ordering and shipping relaxers online.

So what products do you use and love for your fine hair? What relaxers work for you? I will say I am very pleased with Poracity Control shampoo and conditioner, but am still trying to figure out the best daily regimine for my hair!

You may want to try the Phytorelaxer. A lot of people have had extreme success with that. It's more mild and it's no lye. However, many of the ladies have switched from Affirm Lye to Phyto no-lye with no problem. Also, look for products that don't weigh your hair down. I also have fine hair, and I find that lighter products (like sprays, light creams, and light oils) do better for my hair than the heavy products. I use S-Curl, African Royale BRX Braid Spray (as a moisturizer, it compares to Cathy Howse UBH Dew, and smells even nicer). I also use light oils (like Hot Six Oil). I just took my braids out, so I haven't relaxed yet, but I will be using the Phytorelaxer.

I use Dudley's Mild relaxer (No lye) and have found this to be the best for my hair. I used Affirm mild and it was way to strong, and left my hair overprocessed in a short amount of time.

Also, I've found that my hair thrives the most when I choose to texturize, as opposed to obtaining a straight look.

As far as products, I use Dudley's deluxe shampoo, creme protein conditioner, & drc-28. I'm also a fan of Nexxus products: Botanoil, humectress, keraphix.

I stopped relaxing in July '04. I was suffering from severe shedding and breakage and stunted growth. Part of it was due to medication and I strongly believe the other part was due to the fact that Revlon Realistic Regular was my relaxer of choice. I didn't relax often(every 3 months) but after my last relaxer, man my hair took a dive.

I haven't had a relaxer since. I'm transitioning now but, I'm looking back...I just hope I don't turn into salt.

When my hair was relaxed, shea butter (100% pure but refined) was my product of choice. I really really loved it. I still use it but only for my skin and eventually for my sew-in.

karmelsassy said:
Hi Zora, I'm not Anjel but I work on the block of the BSS you guys are talking about. It's on 32nd.
Hi Karmel,

Thanks! I actually was in NY today and stopped by the store. I wanted to buy the Affirm relaxer, but the guy said he didn't sell single relaxers and that I would have to buy four at a time. I almost bought the four, but I wanted mild or sensitive scalp but he told me that Affirm has only one formulation for all types of hair.

Since when?

I use Arosci perm for my hair. It's a lye perm by Revlon. I used to use it in college and always loved it, but found it difficult to find a salon that used it when I moved to NY. The ones I did find charge $100 for relaxer. So I ordered it on line and take it with me to a salon. I also use Goldwell Kerasilk products (shampoo, conditioner, leave in).

I use porosity control every now and then to balance things out. And clarify/chelate with Redken Cleansing Cream. I also use Carol's Daughter Tui Oil.

I've learned alot about my hair since I've been on this forum. When I first started, I bought so much stuff to use on my hair, but realized my hair doesn't like all that product. My scalp can't take too much product in my hair.

Back