Finally...some signs of progress...**sniff**sniff**(okay, kind of long)

Kimberly

I first started lurking around the boards last year. My hair was chin-length at the longest after a BC from my not-so-SHS but the ends were dry and damaged so we agreed on the BC. I started buying vitamins and became an irrepressible PJ. My wallet was empty but my hair was showing signs of life. It came up in conversation with my mother about my quest for longer, healthier hair. She basically told me to give it up. I had never had long hair, she had never had long hair, and I just didn't have it in me genetically. I told her, if nothing else, I could at least have healthy short hair and started wearing braids until my hair was long enough to start bunning. Don't get me wrong, it has been a pretty pitiful looking bun a lot of times but I actually don't know how to style so it's been convenient for me.

Last week, I self-relaxed and put a black rinse in my hair. I decided to wear it down to work (first time in a long time) and I got some of the most wide-eyed stares, comments about how they didn't know my hair was that long, and a couple of people even asked me if it was all my hair!!! I had never imagined they would respond that way but Friday let me know I was really on the right track.

Friday afternoon, I went by my mother's office with my hair down and she was staring at me. I thought it was the black hair that was freaking her out because I inherited her dark brown/reddish looking hair. When I said something like "Yeah, I tried a black rinse and didn't think to wear gloves, look at my hands", she said "Yeah, I noticed but I can't believe how much your hair has grown since you started taking care of it yourself"!!! Ya'll, I couldn't believe it! I almost fell over right there on the spot. I can' t recall my mother ever complimenting my hair. She has complimented on a style but never my hair.

I just want to thank all of the ladies on the board for all of your help and encouragement. It's such a comfort to be able to come to the board and have people tell you that you can do it. And if they have had success, let you in on what they did to help them acheive it.

I love you guys. I really do.

Just let me clarify. My hair is not what I would call long by a long shot. I just measured for the 2006 BS Challenge and I'm about 7 inches from BS in the back. Just that I could get there from where I started in about a year, I can't attribute that to anything but finding this board. I have mostly 4b, resistant hair with some 4a spots (I think) around the nape and temples and all of it is very prone to dryness.

It's cool if no one responds. I just wanted to share my little story. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

Last edited:
Allandra said:
Congratulations and way to go! :up: Keep up the great work. :)

Thank you, Allandra!!! All of the moderators are definitely included!! Thank you for this forum. I don't know where I would be without it.

Congrats Kimberly!!! :weird: I know it feels great to know that your hard work is not in vain!! :yep: Keep it up and happy hair growing to you!

congrats chick :woot: :cheers: :yay: !!!!!!!! your well on your way ! JUST WAIT TIL YOUR HAIR GET TO BRA STRAP ! THEY'LL HAVE TO BE TAKEN OUT OF THE ROOM ON GURNEYS !!!!!! :bouncy:

Thank you ChosenbyGod and Carletta. The best part is, when I get there (wherever there is), I won't be alone. Everyone here willl be with me!! :grin:

Thank you, Pebbles. One of the things I LOVE about this board is how the moderators actively participate and encourage the members. When someone has a hair issue, ya'll seem to really come to that persons aid with genuine concern. And, even though I don't too often post, I have benefitted from a lot of that advice.

Thank you so much for all of the advice that you inadvertently gave me!!

Congrats, Kimberly.
party-smiley-018.gif
Keep up the good work!
party-smiley-017.gif

(and don't forget to share progress pics!)

CandiceC said:
Congrats, Kimberly.
party-smiley-018.gif
Keep up the good work!
party-smiley-017.gif

(and don't forget to share progress pics!)

Thank you, CandiceC!! I'm trying to figure out how to do pics. It tells me they are too big so I need to figure out how to resize or something.

Okay. I'm trying to do the pics. The first one is from January 2004 and the second one was taken a few minutes ago. Taken a pic of the back of your head isn't as easy as it sounds!!

I think I'm trying to include them as attachments.

Attachments

• Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Image080.jpg
    Image080.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 48
:naughty: Okay, I know a 4a/b sista did not just roll up in here talking about her progress and then stroll back out without a how-she-done-it regimen/technique/products!!:whyme: LOL. LOL.

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! And welcome! Sounds like you are on the right track.

Last edited:
I love testimonies such as this! This is so wonderful! Keep up the good work and you will reach your goal in no time! :yay:

Cherokee said:
:naughty: Okay, I know a 4a/b sisar did not just roll up in here talking about her progress and then stroll back out without a how-she-done-it regimen/technique/products!!:whyme: LOL. LOL.

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! And welcome! Sounds like you are on the right track.

Thanks, Cherokee!! Actually, it's been a lot of trial and error and it's still a work in progress. I found out that my hair does not like a lot of grease. It loves oil but, so far, it's mostly been EVOO, coconut oil, Almond oil. I did the carrot juice thing last year and really enjoyed it. I'm thinking about starting back. I just felt healthier and my skin looked great. I drank so much carrot juice, I started to turn orange! I had a lot of success with the vaseline/baggie but I joined the military last year and couldn't baggie but I still vaselined my ends when I put it in a bun. I may start doing the baggie again and see what I have in about 6 months. I conditioner wash about 2-3 times a week. It sometimes increases as I get closer and closer to time to relax. I only relaxed 4 times last year. I trimmed twice. I don't sleep on my hair anymore. I shampoo about every 7-10 days always following a pre-poo and followed by a deep conditioner. I'm thinking about adding pre-poo before my conditioner washes. I take hair, nail, and skin vitamins, biotin, EPO, Fish Oil, and B-Complex. My hair also likes EQP Mango Butter, S-Curl, MNT conditioner with oil added as a leave-in, Mediterranean Olive Oil Hair Mask from Avon, Suave Smoothing conditioner for my conditioner washes right now....I'm trying to think without going to my bathroom....Dumb Blonde is a favorite but I'm out and the olive oil hair mask is a good substitute for my hair.

I'm starting to ramble. If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

mrslee said:
I love testimonies such as this! This is so wonderful! Keep up the good work and you will reach your goal in no time! :yay:

Thank you, MrsLee! I tend to keep to myself but I couldn't hold it in this time. I know I ususally feel inspired by other peoples progress...especially fellow 4b members. It just reminds me that it can be done.

Never speaking defeat!! Had you listened to your mother you would be wear you are!

Look at all that growth. Congrats! Realizing longer hair can be achieved is a feat in itself!!

Keep up the good work and keep it growing. You will be to brastrap before you know it.

BTW, most AA people believe that anything around shoulder length is really long. It changes for us here at LHCF once we come hear and see all the great lengths achieved here!!

Good Luck to you!!

Thank you CCD and DSD!!!

DSD, yours was one of the first albums that I ever looked at and you are such an inspiration!! I knew where you were coming from and understood where you were trying to go. Thank you for sharing your pics and your progress and motivating so many of us!

I love you guys!!

Kimberly said:
Thank you CCD and DSD!!!

DSD, yours was one of the first albums that I ever looked at and you are such an inspiration!! I knew where you were coming from and understood where you were trying to go. Thank you for sharing your pics and your progress and motivating so many of us!

I love you guys!!

Thank you! :kiss:

Congrats on your success. I too was in that boat of calling it quits, that is until I found this website and all of the success stories. I've only been at it a week and every night when I tie up my hair I feel my new growth as if its just going to sprout out that quickly. What is the phrase ....a watched pot never boils or something. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for sharing Kimberly. So glad you are seeing progress. I loved the part where your mom was blown away. And don't give up on figuring out the pics. I finally set aside a few hours a few days ago and it ended up being easy. And, you'll be at bra-strap in not time! ;)

You know, your post has me feeling just like the Teletubbies used to say...
***BIIIIIIG HUUUUUUUG!***. Got me over here feelin all verklempt.

I'm so happy to hear about your success. I know this board has also played a great role in not just the health and length of my hair, but my attitude and self-esteem about my hair as well. I know exactly how you feel, Kimberly. Keep growin and flowing girl. You can reach any goal you want.

Last edited:
Back