Finally out of hiding and completely lost

AmyRose92

Hi everyone! I've been lurking this forum for about two months now and I finally subscribed today! I've been looking through a lot of threads and I feel inspired by the amazing growth. But I always wonder if I'll ever be able to achieve any of the lengths that I thought were just reserved for those who are a mixed race.

My story's pretty long but I feel the need to let it all out in writing so I can finally move on. I'm a 17 year old, Haitian American girl living in Miami, FL. All my life my mom is the one who's been doing my hair. It might be shocking to know, but I have no clue about how to take care of my own hair. Just recently I decided to be an independent and finally break away from my mom (when it comes to hair of course :look:) Just two days ago, I shampooed my hair and put leave-in conditioner by myself. After airdrying, I was so scared to do anything to my hair because it was the first time I had handled my hair by myself.

The reason I wanted to decide for myself how to handle my hair is because of all of this hair drama going on in my Haitian community. The length most people consider as "long hair" is full SL and maybe even half-way towards APL. Longer than that would be considered AMAZING. I know very few girls at school with APL hair (maybe ten at the most out of 2,000 students?). My mom used to have full length SL and I think it was longer than that (but not APL). Now she has very thin NL hair and she grieves over her loss of hair EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Over the months of looking through this forum and other hair forums, I've come to the realization that I've been letting others decide what's good for my hair and my mom has been blindly following whatever any hair "professional" she has gone says. She's had so many hair salon horror stories, I can't even say them all. All of those relaxers, putting color, overheating and overprocessing her hair has destroyed most of it.

I think I could have grown my hair to its fullest potential if she had known what to do with my hair. At the age of six, she relaxed my hair and it was downhill from there. Since then, I've been fighting with growths and setbacks, but it was only until high school I had understood what was going on. When I was 14, I started braiding my hair a lot (box plaits only) and I stretched my relaxer over a year (I didn't even know it was called transitioning at the time :perplexed). The growth was coming in nicely. Then I had a mishap one summer and my hair broke off substantially. I relaxed it and I was visibly disappointed. I didn't even know that I had a HUGE bald spot (that is still there to this day) on the right side of my head, caused by braiding cornrows way too tight. I kept relaxing two to three times a year while braiding in between until I was 16. Then I started using sow-ins as well, which was really good for my hair because it grew. Then I switched to another hair stylist last year (October 2008) and she braided my hair SUPER TIGHT for a sow-in. After two months, I took it out and relaxed my hair (my display picture). I stretched that relaxer for four months before getting a touch-up. I would go see her once a week for a treatment, blow dry, and flat iron, and every time I went to see her, she said my hair was getting worse. All the while, I'm not DCing for weeks at a time and poorly taking care of my hair. In the end, the hair on the left side of my head broke off exponentially, and I noticed that my hair was thinning on the left side of my head, most likely caused by hair being braided too tight for that last sow-in). My last touch-up was in April, and that was the last time I set foot in a hair salon. Now I've been transitioning by doing box plaits and I vow NEVER to put relaxer in my hair, at least until I reach like, BSL or MBL. A lot of people are pushing me to relax my hair again but I know it won't help my hair at all right now. I actually wanted to BC but my mom would just die if she knew that.

Right now, my hair is looking healthier (and poofier than ever!), but it grows in layers so I'm not fully satisfied with it. I'm hoping that I can make some good progress after joining LHCF.

The thumbnails at the bottom are pics from earlier this year and late last year. The first and the last pictures show the bald spot I got from braiding cornrows too tightly about two years ago and still hasn't fully grown back yet. The second picture is the bald spot on my left head, most likely from the tight braiding from the last sow-in I had in December 2008. I think the condition is called traction alopecia (?)

Attachments

• 103_0120.jpg
    103_0120.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 89
  • Family n' Friends 305.jpg
    Family n' Friends 305.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Family n' Friends 304.jpg
    Family n' Friends 304.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I enjoy these types of letters. It's so weird that so many of us are kept in ignorance about our own hair. It's so widespread, I am beginning to think it is a insidious plot against us black girls.

I enjoy these types of letters. It's so weird that so many of us are kept in ignorance about our own hair. It's so widespread, I am beginning to think it is a insidious plot against us black girls.

I think you could be right. Little black girls need to be empowered on how to take care of their hair, so they can love the uniqueness of our strands.

OP, I'm new to the hair game myself, but it seems that you hair has been through alot in it's young life. I'm sure that you hair could really benefit from regular deep conditions. I'm not really familiar with box plaits, but given the bald spot, would another style maybe be better for now to relieve tension on your hair. Maybe just bunning for awhile. Just a thought, I'm sure more senior folks will chime in.

Welcome AmyRose!

Thanks for the intro. Well you're definitely in the right place when it comes to learning how to grow and subsequently care for long, healthy hair. It truly is a journey but I am sure you will learn the tricks of the trade in no time.

The only bit of advice I can offer at this time is not to buy up every product the folks rave about here because it's something new every other day :lachen:.

Take your time and read as much as you can so you can make an educated decision about what may work for your hair. Never compare your hair or your growth to anyone else. You've made it to LHCF so that's the first step in the right direction.

Good luck and happy hair growing!

Welcome to haircate kingdom! I hope you find the right information here to help you meet your goals. It's good that you're starting at such a young age, and have plenty of time in the future to see progress. It's commendable that you are fully aware of what your hair has gone thru in the past and now you're ready to assume responsibity to make it better. Good for you! I would say to you that this hair journey requires lots of time, patience, and willingness to learn and try new things for your hair. So glad you're putting healthy hair first! HHJ!

op you had a beautiful hair as a child. i think what you hair might need is rest. i dont know if what you have is alopecia, but maybe try different protective styles (half wigs, weave, braids) for a full year and you will no doubt see tremendous progress. castor oil might also help around where you are missing hair. good luck!

:welcome: & thanks for sharing your hairstory. I don't have any advice for the alopecia, but if you do a search, I know there are a few threads about it & some growth successes. Good luck on your hair growth journey.

Welcome AmyRose92!

All I can say is welcome to the journey; you're in the right place.
You are doing so much good for yourself by taking charge of your hair care at 17. I left it up to others until I was in my 30s, so you're already at an advantage.

Hi everyone! I've been lurking this forum for about two months now and I finally subscribed today!

Welcome! Some good advice for those bald spots are as follows:

Buy an 8oz. bottle of Jamaican Black Castor Oil or regular Castor Oil and put about 10 drops of a tingly essential oil (peppermint, tea tree, rosemary). Massage oil mixture (a little bit) 2x daily to needed spots.
You can get the supplies at your local health food store, Whole Foods, or online at www.iherb.com ( the coupon code is in the LHCF 2009 Discount Thread).

ALSO, leave your hair alone! :yep:

Half wigs/full wigs offer an alternative to the weaves, because there is less tension on the scalp. You can take that sucker off every night!:grin:
Just remember to moisturize and seal the hair underneath everyday..or if you are braiding it up under there, put some conditioner and water in a spray bottle to moisturize...

Whew! I know that was a LOT but I really want to see you shine in a few months or so. Happy Growing!

Welcome! I know that you will benefit tremendously from LHCF. There is so much valuable information here. This site truly provides an education in healthy hair. During my first year of membership, I spent literally hours just searching the forums and taking it all in.

I'm happy to hear that your hair is making progress! There are great things in store for you here!

:welcome4::newbie: You may want to read and subscribe to all of the transitioning threads. There is a lot of great information in these threads. Also, since you're transitioning with braids, you may want to try the Crown and Glory method. You can find information on this at: www.growafrohairlong.com Don't be afraid to ask questions. We're all here to help each other. :circle: Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Welcome and thanks for posting this thread! I'm glad you decided to take care of your own hair! :bighug: happy Hair Growing! (HHG)

Hi everyone! I've been lurking this forum for about two months now and I finally subscribed today! I've been looking through a lot of threads and I feel inspired by the amazing growth. But I always wonder if I'll ever be able to achieve any of the lengths that I thought were just reserved for those who are a mixed race.

First off I just wanted to say WELCOME!
Many people here have been where you are today. Long hair isn't just for people of mixed race. Actually there are many Haitian girls on this hair forum that have long beautiful hair so I am sure you'll be inspired.

I'm sorry about the bald spot. I would search the forums and see if there are any natural recipes you can use to help with that.

I learned how to do my own hair when I was 14 years old. Hey you have to start somewhere, right? If all else fails, the ponytail is the easiest style to pull off :grin: Just keep experimenting and before you know it you will be a diy'er.

Welcome.

Your hair is very pretty and it looks healthy aside from the traction alopecia.
***There is no rush
***Do not make hasty decisions when it comes to learning about hair
***Do not rush to "transition" or "go natural" or "stretch" your relaxers or feel pressured to do so
***Make a short goal list of what you want your hair to do - take the first thing on the list, work on it only and wait until you see results before moving onto the next thing on your list.

Some days you will be tired of your hair, this is normal and apart of the process.

Since your mother's hair was long at one point, I assume there are already hair products in the house. Start with those products - keep it simple.

Water
Multivitamin
Deep Condition
Lightly moisturize the hair
Wrap hair with satin scarf every night
Massage the scalp

These are the mainstays of many of the ladies on this board; everything else are individual preferences that have come from trial and error.

Oh, and I know your mother has some L'huille maskerti, it will help the alopecia.

Much love to ya!

Sac Pase! Welcome my fellow Haitian!:wave:

You might wanna give your hair a break from extensions altogether to avoid additional tension to your scalp and hair. I agree with Hijabiflygirl L'huille maskerti (Castor Oil) can really help with the alopecia. If its too sticky or thick for you alone try mixing it with extra virgin coconut oil.

The search box at the top right is your friend. Type in key words for issues you may be having with your hair read the threads on it and before you know it you'll see tremendous progress.

I'm sad to hear there are such terrible hair practices in the Florida Haitian community but I'm not surprised, I have a cousin out there who has hair that remains at a stagnant length, and its because she just does WAY too much to her hair, over processes, does sew-ins, extensions back to back her diet is absolutely atrocious etc

Simplicity is your friend, find products that work for you, and stick to them. If you want to continue relaxing search for support threads on relaxers and begin stretching your relaxers as much as possible to avoid overprocessing and overlapping, if you want to go natural take a look at transitoner threads and threads related to naturals also take a look at blogs fotkis and youtube channels of ladies that have a similar hair type and how they retain length and maintain healthy long natural hair.

Good luck on your healthy hair journey! Once you get a solid regimen together you'll be growing your hair long and luxurious....how awesome that you're starting your journey so young!!

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the warm welcomes and the suggestions. I really feel like I'll be able to get my hair back on track now :D

Welcome AmyRose! You are definitely in the right place. These ladies have already given you great advice, the one thing I would add is that it might be a good idea to see a dermatologist. Alopecia is a very serious thing, and derms can prescribe things to speed up the process of growing your hair back.

I second the castor oil suggestion. It's done wonders for my nape.

Happy Hair Growing!

:welcome:
Thanks for sharing your story!!!
Try not to get overwhelmed here!
If you're unsure of something feel free to ask! The ladies here are very helpful and knowledgeable!

Welcome! Good luck on your journey. Glad you made the decision to stop relaxing

Welcome! Wish you well on your journey. Take your time to find what works for you. There is a lot of information to read all of it will help you. Good luck.

Back