Finally figured out how to do a decent twist out!!

DigitalRain

I've done twists in the past and they came out horrible. Gave up and stuck with my fro for a while and last Thursday I decided to try again. I realized what I was doing wrong.

Making the twist too big. My hair is about 6 inches long except in the nape because I had that area shaped earlier this year when my hair was shorter. I did the twist too big because I didn't realize that due to my small curl pattern (4b coily) I would need to do them smaller. It took FOREVER to do but it looks so much better.

I wore the twists for several days then undid them. It made my hair so much easier to deal with and I love the curly fro look. I was able to make this last for over a week. I even went swimming yesterday, pulled off my swim cap when I was done and the curls popped right back like I never got in the pool!

Before doing the twist I clarified with AO Honeysuckle shampoo and conditioned. Used ORS lock and twist gel. So the next time I will do them a little smaller. My only gripe is it takes SO long to do!!

003-vi.jpg

Congratulations. They do look great and moisturized. They do take a long time to do but it is a great protective style. And you can rock the style for at least 2 weeks. If I figure out how to wash my hair with them in maybe 3. This last time around I wore 2 strand twists for a week, I then separated them out into single twists for a 2nd week. And today I am wearing a puff.

You can always plan to style while you watch a good movie and its not too bad especially if you can get two weeks out of it.

Great. I'm glad u figured out what works for you. I am still working on perfecting mine. I'm about 60% satisfied with my results. Looking for the best product for my hair type.

I made the same mistake OP, putting too big of twists and I had a frizzy, poofy afro yesterday. I got so many looks. lol. I'm going to try your method next time.

it took me MONTHS (and a 2nd BC) to figure out what I was doing.

Now days I have a good understanding of what size twists I need. I'm also doing single twists/coils. I can get it done in 15 mins.

A single twist is when you take the section of hair and just twists it from root to tip. It looks like a comb coil or when the hair is longer it looks like a shirley temple curl.

Does that make sense? I didn't think it would hard to explain until I tried.

I agree. The single twists/coils are faster. They also make a good twist out.

Your hair is very long. It's amazing you can get them done in 15 minutes. That's encouraging.

The photo in my siggy is from my FIRST BC. I chopped again in July and have about 6 inches now. I still think as my hair grows it wont take more than 15 mins to twist. The twists only work for me if I can get it done while my hair is still wet. Even with a spray bottle any longer than 20 mins and I can expect frizz.

I think I've also narrowed down a better selection of leave ins/thick conditioners that my hair likes. I usually use a combination of 2-3 conditioners and some shea butter.

I still think as my hair grows it wont take more than 15 mins to twist. The twists only work for me if I can get it done while my hair is still wet. Even with a spray bottle any longer than 20 mins and I can expect frizz.

I think I have 6" but perhaps I am doing my twists much smaller. It takes me at least an hour. I make them small because I have a lot of shrinkage wet or dry and you can see from my sig I show a lot of scalp.

To help with the moisture I started using glad sandwich bags and wrapping it around small sections of the hair to keep it moist without the spray bottle. I look crazy but it definitely helped. :lol:

My hair frizzes though no matter what. I always look like I've just finished break dancing on the carpet. :blush:

15/20 minutes sounds good to me though. I am drooling at the thought. I could actually do a mid-week DC/steam.

Here is a link to what my twists look like
http://public.fotki.com/Lwilliams/2010-wigging-it-for-1/summer-2010-2nd-bc/

It took me an hour to do twists after my first BC. I had to get real with my self this time. I have 3 kids and in order to make it work I HAD to keep trying new things till I could get it to a reasonable amt of time.

I started bunning last month. My hair ALMOST fits in a pony tail but I find with the right conditoners and shea butter I can wrap it and it will hold for me.

I'm going to update my fotki with the super bun photos in a few mins.

I think I have 6" but perhaps I am doing my twists much smaller. It takes me at least an hour. I make them small because I have a lot of shrinkage wet or dry and you can see from my sig I show a lot of scalp.

To help with the moisture I started using glad sandwich bags and wrapping it around small sections of the hair to keep it moist without the spray bottle. I look crazy but it definitely helped. :lol:

My hair frizzes though no matter what. I always look like I've just finished break dancing on the carpet. :blush:

15/20 minutes sounds good to me though. I am drooling at the thought. I could actually do a mid-week DC/steam.

Looks real good. I cant get my ends to stay twisted. They always life up and out of the twist.

I wore the twists for several days then undid them.
So the next time I will do them a little smaller. My only gripe is it takes SO long to do!!

@Digital Rain
Did you take any pics of the twist out? And how long did it take you to do them?

Would love to see them next time you try it.

Last edited:
Back