FINALLY! A Natural Twist Out I Was Satisfied With...PICS

divine22

I used to wear twist and braidouts all the time when my hair was relaxed. It was my infallible hairstyle back then. But since I've been natural, I have struggled with getting the style right. My twist/braidouts have been either way too frizzy, or too straight, or too tightly curled, or just down right wrong. LOL. After researching several other techniques, I believe I've found a method that will work on my hair. Take a look at the still shots of how today's twistout came out

I just took out my flexirods in these pics. Instead of just putting rollers on the ends of the twists, I thought that flexirods would help me control the length of my curls:

P0703100000-vi.jpg
P0703100001-vi.jpg

In these two pics, I took out my clips and simply undid the twists:

P0703100003-vi.jpg
P0703100002-vi.jpg

And finally...the result. In these pics I have pulled apart the twists to hide any parts and to give the style some volume. I don't know about you guys, but this is the part of the process that makes me nervous b/c it can easily go downhill....quickly. As soon as you start separating that first piece of hair, I swear, you know whether the twistout is gonna be a success or an immediate washout. Thankfully, this time it didn't just come out as a pre-do to a shampoo:

P0703100006-vi.jpg
P0703100005-vi.jpg
P0703100009-vi.jpg

That looks beautiful. You did a great job and you have a great head of hair. I can't wait until I get there.

Those pics are gorgeous! Congratulations, I know perfecting the twistout as a natural is difficult. I am still trying to master this myself.

Very pretty! What's the purpose of the silver clips at the roots?

Thanks Pookaloo83. I got the idea for using clips at my roots from CurlyNikki and her Twist-n-Curl method. First off, shouts out to CurlyNikki. She is definitely one of my hair idols and she has got one of the most beautiful twistouts I have ever seen. One of the difficult things to do on natural hair is to get the twist close to the scalp and so many times I would have sleek twists coming out of thick and fuzzy roots. This especially tends to happen when I do my twists on wet hair. So by using the clips as the hair dries, I can control the roots and then fluff them out to my satisfaction when I take out the twists.

Back