Fighting the itch to dye my hair...

Miss AJ

Fighting the itch to dye my hair (vent)

I've been PMing folks and looking at the Revlon website but I'm still weighing out the pros and cons. I really miss my red hair, but my natural black hair is pretty too. I almost went and bought some dye just now but my friend called and stopped me lol. She keeps telling my hair is doing so well since I cut off the relaxer and dye and I shouldn't do it. I really shouldn't do it because I do have some slight damage to repair in the front still (not from dye, from me picking at my hair all the time) but seeing all these beautiful heads of color treated hair and looking back at my old pics is taking a toll on my strength to be committed to being 100% chemical free.

Last edited:
same here..omg i wanna dye my hair a light brown..just the front half though...but im so scared i might get set back from all the progress i made.

^^That's how I feel. The last time I was natural I went from NL to SL in a year but the next year I was stuck at SL because I had dyed my hair red once, then did it red all over a 2nd time, THEN dyed it black all over before I left for basic training. Every time I dye my hair i always end up going back to black....I should just go buy a red wig or something lol.

Hey there did professional blonde highlights in feb, and regret doing it.. I missed black hair sooo bad, had to go back... I have some minor breakage in the front but nothing that cannot be salvaged... My blonde pieces are splintery (sp?)..So I wouldnt recommend bleach...I love black hair, it looks sooo healthy....wont do that again...

I plan to get just thetop of my hair highlighted this summer. Not with any bleach, either. I had lightened hair when I was texlaxed with minimal damage, so I feel like my hair could definitely take it now that it's natural. I am waiting until this summer so that I will have reached my hair goal (BSL). I think it may be easier to maintain a length with color than it may be to try and grow it out with it. If I'm not happy with the way my hair responds to the color, than I will just maintain BSL and trim often until it's gone.

Maybe try to hold off until you reach your hair goal--and then treat yourself! And just do the top and/or front of your hair.

I plan to get just thetop of my hair highlighted this summer. Not with any bleach, either. I had lightened hair when I was texlaxed with minimal damage, so I feel like my hair could definitely take it now that it's natural. I am waiting until this summer so that I will have reached my hair goal (BSL). I think it may be easier to maintain a length with color than it may be to try and grow it out with it. If I'm not happy with the way my hair responds to the color, than I will just maintain BSL and trim often until it's gone.

Maybe try to hold off until you reach your hair goal--and then treat yourself! And just do the top and/or front of your hair.

My friend sort of said the same thing. She suggested I wait until it gets longer and then dye it. My hair grows down AND out so if by some miracle I reach my goal of grazing APL in August I won't even wanna deal with coloring all that hair lol.

I want to color too but aside from the split ends and knots, my skin tone is too dark for the nice eye popping colors. I'll just still to henna though my hair's too dark for that to show up even if I was standing on the sun.

Back