fgrogan relaxed hair her after a 15 moth stretch!

Oooh thanks sweet_silvia88! That is motivation right there. You can see she did have breakage but there are ways to avoid that. Also she should have relaxed in halves, and done smaller sections with that much ng; she probably would have avoided the need to do a corrective. From watching her other videos I think she's a bit rough with her hairas well. The longer you stretch the more you have to care those ends; very gentle detangling more protein to keep them strong, avoid heat. In fact, I find that after 6 months I actually use different products on my natural vs. relaxed hair. Despite that, she still made alot of progress :yep:

I wish I wouldve done the half and half method too! I was scared that I was going to leave it in too long and all my hair was going to fall out in the sink like Tina Turners did! From here on out, I think I will use the half and half method!

I have done 2 one year stretches back to back and though yes it can be addictive I am only doing a 6 month stretch currently. I just miss my hair and the buns tend to get boring as well as the wigs. All this hard work I am ready to show my hair.

Lmao @fgrogan1 nipping each of our comments in the bud at a time.

:lol: Betcha folks wasnt expecting this either!

If more folks did this it would definitely change the tone in some of the threads where we talk about them b/c we assume that they aren't members and/or know they won't post (Ex. Ateya, Taren, Kimmay, Shima, etc)

She's one of my favorite youtubers...been following her for a couple of years now...beautiful hair and beautiful attitude.

@ fgrogan: Girl I love your hair and your personality! I've tried stretching but I found it's not for me, at some point the process was taking away from my progress (breakage galore).

Someone mentioned that the pre-neutralizer protein tx might have contributed to less straightened hair. I agree. I know the reconstructor cannot reverse the chemical process but something happens. Once I used Joico K-Pak reconstructor before neutralizing. Bad idea, I might as well not have relaxed that day.

@ fgrogan: Girl I love your hair and your personality! I've tried stretching but I found it's not for me, at some point the process was taking away from my progress (breakage galore).

Someone mentioned that the pre-neutralizer protein tx might have contributed to less straightened hair. I agree. I know the reconstructor cannot reverse the chemical process but something happens. Once I used Joico K-Pak reconstructor before neutralizing. Bad idea, I might as well not have relaxed that day.
Was it relaxed bone straight before the mid step? I think I'm going to just do the 2 min more often instead of using it as a mid step after hearing this..

Whats the snide comment? And what did Kimmay say? I havent come on this forum for a while so u gotta put me up on whats happening!:feedback::feedback:

Exactly I did not see any snide comments either. People are just commenting based on their own observations. We dont have to think everything that everyone does is sooooo fantastic.

Kimmay did not say anything either at least not to my knowledge.

Fgrogan IMHO your hair looks fab but as I mentioned before it looks like you did not smooth much. Most NOT ALL virgin relaxers have to be kept on for a max of 1/2 hr especially when done by ones self.

If you choose to correct it is your decision.

Keep up the good work.

Also the midstep conditioners that I know of specifically the Affirm 5in1 and one other that I cant remember from the Affirm line have only wheat protein in them not keratin.

I would not use any thing with keratin as a mid step all other proteins are fine.

Keep up the good work

Last edited:
Exactly I did not see any snide comments either. People are just commenting based on their own observations. We dont have to think everything that everyone does is sooooo fantastic.

Kimmay did not say anything either at least not to my knowledge.

Fgrogan IMHO your hair looks fab but as I mentioned before it looks like you did not smooth much. Most NOT ALL virgin relaxers have to be kept on for a max of 1/2 hr especially when done by ones self.

If you choose to correct it is your decision.

Keep up the good work.

Also the midstep conditioners that I know of specifically the Affirm 5in1 and one other that I cant remember from the Affirm line have only wheat protein in them not keratin.

I would not use any thing with keratin as a mid step all other proteins are fine.

Keep up the good work

Yes, you are right, I didnt smooth it out as much and I rushed to rinse it out too soon. I've learned my lesson and Im just going to leave that stretching alone for now! Relaxing every 3-4 months from here on out! Thank you for your beautiful comments!:woot:

@fgrogan1 I have watched just about all your videos! I feel like a groupie. LOL! Are you in the WL 2011 Challenge? You are well on your way! God's blessings and pray for me and I will definitely pray for you!

I definately agree with you!! I was expecting more progress too! It was my first stretch and it was a learning experience. Im glad I was able to make some growth instead of having shorter hair. I will not stretch that long again unless Im going Natural.

I definitely learned from your experience. Like you said, everybody isn't perfect and a lot of people who "discover" a hair board or forum decide to stetch for 6 months or more right away. You showed that it could be done, and retain some length and keep your hair healthy. It also shows that for most people you won't be able to retain all your length. So I appreciate you showing your journey and helping others decide if long-term stretches are for them or not. You handled your 4b hair better than I ever could and even though you didn't retain ALL your growth, you did retain and your thickness is SICK! It's all a learning experience and being able to watch someone as they stretch for that long helped a lot of people, I'm sure. God bless.

Her hair looks great, but the application was all helter skelter, which was why it came out underprocessed. I really do think that was what happened, because the protein mid-step restores a bit of lost structure to the hair, but definitely not to the point where reversion happens. Nothing is gonna revert a relaxer...once it's done, it's done.

That's why before actually relaxing, you gotta sit down with some conditioner, a timer, and some mirrors if need be and practice until you have that technique on lock.

Yes, you are right, I didnt smooth it out as much and I rushed to rinse it out too soon. I've learned my lesson and Im just going to leave that stretching alone for now! Relaxing every 3-4 months from here on out! Thank you for your beautiful comments!:woot:

Wow, I had no idea you were a member!

Her hair looks great, but the application was all helter skelter, which was why it came out underprocessed. I really do think that was what happened, because the protein mid-step restores a bit of lost structure to the hair, but definitely not to the point where reversion happens. Nothing is gonna revert a relaxer...once it's done, it's done.

That's why before actually relaxing, you gotta sit down with some conditioner, a timer, and some mirrors if need be and practice until you have that technique on lock.

While I know that a relaxer is permanent, I always find that some texture/curl returns to my hair after a few washes. I do not do a mid-step protein treatment....so I wonder why that happens?.....

I always have to do a corrective after a long stretch. It's just difficult to get your hair processed just right with so much new growth.

Was it relaxed bone straight before the mid step? I think I'm going to just do the 2 min more often instead of using it as a mid step after hearing this..

No it was texlaxed but appeared smoother before the protein tx. I rinsed out the reconstructor and my hair felt like it was before relaxing-- way more texture than when I had rinsed out the relaxer.

Very pretty indeed great outcome, only thing .. (i know your reading thread lol so) how long was your hair before the relaxer becausr it seems you relaxed the majority of your hair minus 3/4 inches?? Im kinda confused .. What happened to the rest of your relaxed ends?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Very pretty indeed great outcome, only thing .. (i know your reading thread lol so) how long was your hair before the relaxer becausr it seems you relaxed the majority of your hair minus 3/4 inches?? Im kinda confused .. What happened to the rest of your relaxed ends?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Long Hair Care Forum App
This was my hair before the relaxer......my nape area was the only part of my hair that the relaxed ends were no longer there.. i trimmed during the stretch because I was thinking of going Natural but I did have breakage too.. the rest of my hair still had the relaxed hair there.. DSCI0190.jpg

This was my hair before the relaxer......my nape area was the only part of my hair that the relaxed ends were no longer there.. i trimmed during the stretch because I was thinking of going Natural but I did have breakage too.. the rest of my hair still had the relaxed hair there.. View attachment 108263

Here is a pic of my hair right after my last relaxer 10/09 and after my stretch 1/2011
15 month Comparison.jpg

I am motivated to continue growing my hair out and like her, I've had episodes of breakage & frustration...

you can tell she has good growing hair and in one of her earlier vids she mentions how long her hair used to be (very long she said)

I think she did a great job, honest vids & opinions and kept viewers posted very well...

but all of us won't have that much growth as we each have differences in maximum growths....but let's all try to find how long it'll grow, right!!! lol

In frogan's defense, she's got a LOT of hair as we can all see...she did the best she could working on it herself...when i get to that length, I will go to salon ONLY because someone else can see my new growth and handle my hair better due to the length....

personally, I don't think she needs a corrective since it looks gorgeous anyway....i would just limit my next stretch to like 6mos instead...idk:drunk:

Back