Feeling GUILTY or ASHAMED About a PAST SIN (???)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I thought this was a very good little story and wanted to share. If you've heard this story before, bare with me because I may not have everything correctly said but I LOVE the message....

A man met this lady. He noticed that she would go up to the church everyday for long periods of time.

He asked, "What do you do up there in the church everyday?"

She replied, "I talk to Jesus and he gives me the answers to my prayers. "

He said, "Can you do me a favor? I know the Lord knows everything. I remember asking forgiveness of my sin last week. Can you ask him what was it that I did wrong last week? Report back to me with an answer."

The woman went to the church to speak to Jesus and came back to man the next day.

The man said, "So what did He say I did wrong last week?"

The woman replies, "Jesus said he does not remember."

Amen, very good story. Question we should all ask ourselves, if God can forgive and forget our past, why cant we. Good story Poohbear.

ladydee36330 said:
Question we should all ask ourselves, if God can forgive and forget our past, why cant we.
I think this is from not being able to forgive ourselves OR Satan puts it in our mind to forget about what God has done for us. Also the fact that some people bring up things that we did wrong in the past. I don't think anyone on this earth can be as confidential and trustworthy as God.

Poohbear said:
I think this is from not being able to forgive ourselves OR Satan puts it in our mind to forget about what God has done for us. Also the fact that some people bring up things that we did wrong in the past. I don't think anyone on this earth can be as confidential and trustworthy as God.

I totally agree Poohbear, this is what my friend is going through now. It has been years since the incident happens and no it was not pretty but if you tell someone that you forgive them, why would you years later now that the person is trying to be right keep throwing it up in there face and claiming to be a christian.

I like this story Poohbear. :yep: Thank you for sharing this with us. There are times when the past does show it's ugly head in my mind, but it's at that moment I pray it out, and like that...it is gone. :)

Here's a question, and I do not want to throw any dampers in this conversation, but if you murder or rape someone, will there not be a punishment for that.?:look:
Is Jesus gon' be like, "O.K. you ruined/destroyed a life, but hey, its OK."

Koffie said:
Here's a question, and I do not want to throw any dampers in this conversation, but if you murder or rape someone, will there not be a punishment for that.?:look:
Forgiveness and Forgetting doesn't mean you will not suffer consequences of your sins. If you get punishment for doing a sin, that's the consequence. ;)

Koffie said:

I've often wondered this same question too. :look:

I know that we will all be judged and God sees everything. :look: God forgives everything.

Last edited:
Poohbear said:
Forgiveness and Forgetting doesn't mean you will not suffer consequences of your sins. If you get punishment for doing a sin, that's the consequence. ;)

Thanx lil' mama :wink2:

Good story Poohbear. I have been guilty of holding onto quilty feelings about past mistakes. God forgives us, so we should learn to forgive ourselves.

Poohbear said:

True true true.:)

That is a very thought provoking story. But how can you truly forgive yourself if you cannot forget?
When I think I have forgiven myself for something I did wrong, it may come back to me and it conjures up all sorts of feelings of guilt and inadequacy again.
I know that the way to tell if you have forgiven someone else is to settle the problem with them/talk about it, but how do you do that with yourself?

missyT said:
That is a very thought provoking story. But how can you truly forgive yourself if you cannot forget?
When I think I have forgiven myself for something I did wrong, it may come back to me and it conjures up all sorts of feelings of guilt and inadequacy again.
I know that the way to tell if you have forgiven someone else is to settle the problem with them/talk about it, but how do you do that with yourself?

MissyT,
I've battled with this for a very long time because of my past guilt. And not only that but also forgiving others. I prayed and you finally have to come to the realization that once you ask for forgiveness, God forgives you and it is now in the Sea of Forgetfulness. Truly you are forgiven; God doesn't even remember such a thing. That's the Glory of God and His grace and mercy! Be encouraged.

wow that's a good story... I admit, I didn't catch on right away, lol, but when I read the replies, I understood. I've felt that way, asking God for forgiveness and being unable to forgive myself, but I'm past that... I've forgiven myself.

Now how about you KNOW what you're going to do/ or wanting to do is a sin, but you still do it anyway? God won't forgive you for that even if you ask for forgiveness right?

Yes, this is a problem I have. Mistakes I've made in the past one in particular still haunts me now. Because I know it was a foolish thing to do. But I feel insecure about it, even though I can't change it.

Back