Father Who Adopts Loves Braiding Ethiopian Daughter's Hair

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Here's the link: http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view/living/braids/

Braiding daughter's hair a labor of love

slideshow_594716_braid4.jpg

Originally from Ethiopia, Miriam Tigist Green, 4, was adopted by Emory professor Clifton Green and his wife in 2005. This is her hair unbraided, before her father applies his weekly loving touch. His care and attention to detail show mastery of a task few white men ever contemplate. Joey Ivansco / AJC

More Pics...

slideshow_594721_braid8.jpg

slideshow_594514_braid2.jpg

This quote is wonderful;

At one point, Clifton Green stopped trying new styles on Miriam before church, because haste led to bad hairdos. "We wanted her to know her hair isn't a burden, but something really wonderful, something beautiful to be celebrated," her mother says. Joey Ivansco /

Okay I ain't mad. Did you see his product bag. Can we say MANY variations of Vaseline. Maybe he should start coming Lauren's hair

Just check out the Reggie and the plastic fork he uses as a rat tail comb. This child is Ruint for real. Cause when she grows up and she EVER encounters one of those Jacked up Hair Stylists and they mess her hair up

GOOD LAWD somebody gonna get Hurt REAL bad cause she'll be like Wait. MY ADOPTED
daddy is a WHITE man. and my hair was always fly. I come to you a black hair stylist thinking that you can do something cute with my hair because I am grown and on my own you do THIS to my head

Oh HELLLLLLL NAW.

Oh it will be on the news. LOLOL

Perfect braids show depth of dad's devotion

By MICHELLE HISKEY

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/15/08

Clifton Green waited a decade to become a dad, imagining he would be like the man who raised him and made him feel like the most special kid in the world.

That day came in 2005, when Green and his wife adopted daughter Miriam Tigist from an Ethiopian orphanage.

Joey Ivansco/Staff
(ENLARGE)
Emory Professor Clifton Green braids his daughter Miriam's hair.

• More photos of the family and braiding

Suddenly, fatherhood demanded a task few white men ever contemplate: hours of cleaning, combing, twisting and braiding African hair.

Such skills typically are handed down from older family members and, as this Emory University associate professor of finance discovered, take hours of practice. In the wrong hands, hair like his daughter's can break off.

"Besides the color of her skin, her hair is one of the few ways we are different," Green said last week as he twisted the thick curls of Miriam, now 4. "The more tangled it is, the more it hurts, the more she protests — in that way, it's pretty universal."

By knowing how to make straight parts, neat twists and careful braids, he has earned high-fives from stunned African-Americans.

"That meek and mild guy? He does not do her hair! You could have picked me off the floor when I found out," said Latise Egeston, an African-American counselor at Miriam's preschool. "Her hair looks fabulous every day, and I know what it takes."

This Father's Day story has two strands familiar to all parents: careful plans and unpredictable kinks.

Green, 37, and his wife Jennifer, 36, a seminarian, got engaged in 1994 while she was studying in Kenya. They knew they wanted to have biological children and to adopt from Africa.

"There seemed to be a need, and it was a way to enrich our lives," he says. "It wasn't a sense of charity. Everyone makes their own family choice. This was our choice."

After a decade building their academic careers, they started the adoption process that led to finding their little girl in an orphanage in Addis Ababa (the same one featured in "There is No Me Without You," a book by their Druid Hills neighbor Melissa Fay Greene).

For a year, the couple saw only pictures of Miriam while the adoption went through. The brother of an Ethiopian cashier they met at their local Publix lives in Addis Ababa, and sent a video of Miriam. Her cries made them long for her even more.

The bald patches on her scalp "were from bouts of malnutrition," her father says of Miriam. "Early on, she didn't have much."

The same year, their plans for pregnancy moved faster than expected. Son Nathaniel was born seven weeks before Green's spring break, which he spent flying 40 hours round-trip to get Miriam, then a year old.

"If she had been our only kid, I probably wouldn't have done her hair," he says, his wife agreeing. "But with Nathaniel barely home from the hospital, I was more involved with her."

With frequent shampoo and combing — what the rest of her family does — Miriam's springy hair would dry and still tangle. Her parents considered letting her hair go as a statement of freedom. After all, they wanted their children — their family now includes another biological son, 10-month-old Adam — to accept others and be accepted, regardless of looks.

But her hair was such a strong link to her roots, a past they wanted her always to know and appreciate, they chose to neaten it the way they saw in many African-American families.

Green researched the best products to keep her hair from drying and breaking. He noticed and copied styles he saw on kids at places like playgrounds. With practice, his fingers became deft.

"I had learned to braid rope necklaces in junior high," he says. "But this is hair, not string."

Friends with children from Africa lent books and support. Their Ethiopian baby sitter showed him cornrows, a daylong task he hopes to master some day.

He stopped trying new styles before church, because haste led to bad hairdos. "We wanted her to know her hair isn't a burden but something really wonderful, something beautiful to be celebrated," her mother says.

"I can do it, but it looks better when he does it. He's more creative, and he cares more about changing it up. It's a little gift he gives her, the little joy of feeling nice and getting good vibes from other people."

At stake, the Greens learned, was far more than hygiene or looks. Her hair was a litmus test of their parenting, he and his wife read in books such as "Inside Transracial Adoption."

"There is no tolerance in the [black] community for not taking care of a child's hair," the authors write. "The end results of your efforts will be judged by the high standards of the black community and not the laissez-faire white model."

Green also heeded the criticism piled on celebrity couple Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, who adopted daughter Zahara from Ethiopia around the same time Green went there for Miriam.

"By and large, most whites are oblivious to the cultural minefield young black girls are born into, just by virtue of having hair that doesn't bounce and behave," wrote the Boston Globe's Wesley Morris last year. "From the moment Zahara was adopted in 2005, there was an almost unanimous consensus that her parents should be doing something else with her hair."

Hair like Miriam's takes a lot of time, a time of tender bonding between dad and daughter. This is his routine.

Once a week he shampoos and conditions her hair. It takes about five times longer to rinse out the water compared to her brother's straight, fine hair. He combs and parts it. This takes 30 minutes or more.

The next steps he does at least once a day, more if she musses her hair while playing or napping. He works on one section of hair at a time.

He sprays it with a brown froth called Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In Conditioner for Dry Hair. The extracts of lavender and rosemary smell nice, wafting with the cartoon noises from the TV that Miriam watches only during hair time. Her Ethiopian middle name, Tigist, means patience, and she needs it while he works.

He gathers the hair into a ponytail, one hand over the other to get all the wisps, six times. He smooths it further, hand over hand again, 12 more times. Whenever he feels brittle strands, he adds some Carol's Daughter Hair Milk, a white lotion of soybean and sweet almond oils.

A plastic fork doubles as a rat-tail comb, just the right size for her tender nape, and he takes 10 passes with it. He secures the hair with a black elastic, twisting it seven times.

He divides the hair into two sections. His hands fly, thumb and index and middle fingers twisting 16 times.

To keep the long twist in place, he uses an elastic band with white beads in a figure eight. All this he repeats 11 more times, until her hair is complete.

"It's a fair job," he says this day. "Today her parts aren't as straight as they could be. The more parts she has, the better it stays."

He's done as many as 30 parts. His favorite was the pie design that radiated from her crown, each wedge of hair in a beaded braid.

When Green was little, his own dad "made me feel like I had hung the moon," he says.

That's what Green has always wanted to give his kids, and as he tosses Miriam high into the air, her smile and giggles and twists of hair show him he's doing all right.

The thing that kills me is this white man is doing more to instill positive reinforcement about this lil Black girls hair than some Black people will ever do. Lauren's hair is just a LILLLLL bit Straighter than hers texture wise and her Idiot mother is beating her like a runaway slave without papers

Go figure.

SMH

After reading about that crazy Black mother ****** up her daughter's hair and scalp I'm glad I found this article to lift my spirits! :yup:

That little girl is too cute! Make me wanna have kids. Then I slap myself, back to normal. Still up lifting and cute.

So if a white MAN can learn how to do a black childs hair, there is no excuse for what we saw yesterday. NONE.

Last edited:
I didn't even bother to take a look at the other youtube thread. My heart is warm from this story and I'd like to keep it there.

This father has done something that some Black women should be ashamed of: He found a way to care for his daughter's hair without altering it with chemicals.

This article is so heartwarming and sweet. :rolleyes: It just reinforces the thought that love, true love, is color-blind and it doesn't hurt!!

This is so sweet!!

Now fast forward 10 years to when her brother lets her practice her braiding skills on him:
d20d22c6-c151-fc6f-cf3b-82276d9b4c5.jpg

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: LOL...

I am so glad that these parents are doing what loving parents do.. taking care of their chidren and instilling a sense of pride.

That's beautiful. Warms my heart. :yep: :infatuated:

Damn shame all parents don't honor their childrens hair like this. *sigh*

That was adorable! There were also some Carol's Daughter in there...I think. He did a great job and her hair looks moisturized.

But even if he did a crappy job, just the mere notion that he takes out the time and the care to do this is beyond cool. He has an excellent spirit that shows in the care of his kids.

Her hair does not even look so crappy in my eyes YOU ain't seen crappy hair until you come into the women's center where I volunteer where 5 year olds are walking around with lace fronts swinging their hair like lil clones of their mothers

Can any of you imagine having a daddy like that doing you hair when you were little?

Such a wonderful expression of love to a girl baby. Beautiful.

Please foward this story to the white people in your life that have black and biracial kids who jack up their hair, please and thank you.

My dad tried to do my hair once. Keyword: once. My mom trying to untangle my hair still gives me headache.

I did have a father like this who combed my hair very well. He has been gone over 32 years now. He was the best father a child could ever want in life:sad:

I miss him very much.

Can any of you imagine having a daddy like that doing you hair when you were little?

Such a wonderful expression of love to a girl baby. Beautiful.

my dad used to help my mom do our hair (my 2 younger sisters and I) on wash days when we were babies and toddlers. all 3 of us had 3 different textures of hair which he would spray with leave in conditioner and lightly detangle and then twist it up. he was much more patient then my mom and would take forever...ask him somethin about our hair now and he just walks away lol

Back