Faithful Relaxed Heads

I really don't see the big deal in being 50+ and getting relaxers. If u still have NG to relax and your hair is in good shape (and can take a relaxer) so what???

Wow.........70, I have to make it to 70 first, and if I do, then mostly likely I will be natural with a tiny curly fro, or relaxed with a short hair style.....I mean at 70, I don't know, my hair wont be so important like it is now.......but then again, I might just keep it relaxed and long.......who knows....

When I relax in the future, I plan to stay that way.:yep: If I can not self relax, I'll pay for it.:yep:

My mom died last year at the age of 90 and I have never, ever, ever seen her with grey hair. She's been "touching up" her grey hair since she had one. It didn't bother her one bit to be using Loving Care every 6 weeks. I think if you want to be relaxed all the time it is a personal preference. (Except if your edges start to look like Susan Taylor's)

Major Set-Back And All, I plan to Stay Relaxed ! No Plans to Transition or Go Natural. The closest I may come is Texlaxed, but at this point, I don't even see that in my future Hair Plans. Relaxed All the Way Baby ! ! !

I really don't see the big deal in being 50+ and getting relaxers. If u still have NG to relax and your hair is in good shape (and can take a relaxer) so what???

I am 51 and I started getting relaxers regularly after the Afro years around 1980. I've never been all natural since, although I have done stretches long enough to make it appear I was all natural.

I don't get what the puffing up and back and forth is about...

Of course some people don't mind and don't care, and others do. It's just personal preference and lifestyle choices.

I don't see how anything being wrong with it or the inference that it is tragic comes in. I don't think it's a judgment or ideological issue. For me, it's just not a form of maintenance I will want to keep up with at that age, just like others wouldn't want to maintenance their natural hair at that point.

I must have missed something. Anyhow, if you want to relax to your 300 do you! I'm just telling you that I don't plan to. It's not a big deal.

my grandmother will be 78 this year and still gets her hair relaxed. she goes to the salon to get it done, but she pretty much takes care of her hair herself. she washes once weekly, rollersets her hair every single night and she ties her hair up, lol. she's so good at the rollerset she needs no mirror. maybe its just me but I have to see what I'm doing...

she keeps her hair cut super short, shaved in the back. I really think she has type 3 hair but she calls it nappy, everything is nappy to her, ehh...

Last edited:
who knows, by the time we are in our 70s it might be all about BKT or some other hair softening technique. If something better comes out, you know I will not be relaxing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting relaxers at any age. The only reason why I don't plan on it (besides the fact that I'm currently transitioning) is that both of my grandmothers are over seventy and can barely get around, much less haul themselves to a salon! If I get the good genes in my family (like my great aunt's, who is well over eighty, looks sixty, and has more energy than most in the forties) it might be a different story, but otherwise I wouldn't see it happening for me.

Since I just started my HHJ this February, I am committed to actively growing my relaxed hair for four years. Whatever length I have on March 1, 2013, I will maintain that for ten years or so. Then, I plan to do a long transition to natural. I'll be in my early fifties by then, so I'll still have time to grow out my natural hair and enjoy it. Since I have gained so much knowledge on how to care for all types of hair, I have no doubt that I will have a full head of beautiful natural hair as well.

I will be relaxing for the rest of my life. I perform all my haircare services so I won't need to go to a salon to get my hair done as I get older. I have no problem wearing waist length relaxed hair in my 70s :)

LOL, I thought I was the only one!! It seems as if the naturals are happy being natural and the relaxed heads are happy being relaxed. But I came to the realization that it has to end somewhere. Especially if I decide to color my gray once I get older. 2 types of chemicals isn't healthy for the hair.

I'll transition at like 45-50. No later than 50 years old...Just because I'll have enjoyed my long relaxed hair for long enough & I'll focus on growing some long natural hair.
I was also thinking that 50 would be a good age to go natural. My hair will be MBL soon and I want to be able to enjoy it. Before I do a big cut and go au natuaral.

What she said.

My mom is 72 years old, gets relaxers and still has a full head of HEALTHY, thick and long hair. So when I read about people concerned about their health or thinning hair as they get older due to relaxers, I have no idea what they are talking about.
I'm not really concerned about the health of the hair. My mom's hair was damaged becuase she's never been one to take care of her own hair, she's a salon addict. And I know that I could have healthy relaxed hair even at 71, my main concern is being trapped into getting relaxers every 8 months for the next 40 years, that has me thinking.

I'm not trying to sound mean or start anything at all OP, but why would your get your hair relaxed every 8 weeks? I would think that it would be a chore at that age. If you only did it three or four times a year (or even once or twice a year) it wouldn't be a big deal.
The way my hair is I have to get it relaxed... actually texlaxed every 8 weeks or else it will shed like crazy. I've tried stretching, but it doesn't work for me. And even if I wasn't relaxing every 8 weeks, i'm referring to the fact that you are still trapped into getting a chemical process done to your hair basically for the rest of your life. Just the idea has me thinking about when would be a good time to stop.

I'm not really concerned about the health of the hair. My mom's hair was damaged becuase she's never been one to take care of her own hair, she's a salon addict. And I know that I could have healthy relaxed hair even at 71, my main concern is being trapped into getting relaxers every 8 months for the next 40 years, that has me thinking.

Wow, I did not realize that getting a relaxer every 8 months was "work". I figure that I will have plenty of time on my hands, when I am nice and retired, that I would not mind being pampered at least once every 8 months. In fact, I plan on visiting a salon often for nails, feet, massages, facials, etc.

As far as coloring, uh, how about some henna? Unless you plan on going blond :look:.

I say, if you feel you must go natural, then do your thing.

Back