fading color...

SqrpioQutie

do any of you have problems keeping you hair colored?....

i'm finding that when i dye my hair, the color fades and goes completely away within a matter of months.... i use permanent dye and it's normally variations of black.... yet, my hair is reddish brown again within a matter of months everytime...

can anyone suggest a way to combat this issue?...

What kind of dye are you using?

Have you tried Bigen?

Posters have said that it's good and lasts approx. 6 months.

What products are you using?

Maybe you can try using some products, especially a leave in designed to help preserve hair color. Lanza makes great color care products and since they have ceramides, it will help improve the condition of your hair. They also have more UV filters which is largely responsible for alot of the fading of color.

You can also try applying a clear rinse, like Adore or Sebastian a week after your permanent color to help seal it back in and then refresh with a rinse in the same color every 6-7 weeks or so, depending on how frequently you dye your hair.

I realized that washing with a sulfate shampoo rid my hair of ANY permanent color no matter the brand. I use sulfate-free shampoos now and my hair color has been lasting so far.

What kind of dye are you using?

Have you tried Bigen?

Posters have said that it's good and lasts approx. 6 months.

the last couple of dyes that i used were dark n lovely and feria.... i used bigen before but although that gave great color at first, it faded very quickly.... i would have loved for that color to last (it was very very rich) but it was a huge disappointment... :nono:

What products are you using?

Maybe you can try using some products, especially a leave in designed to help preserve hair color. Lanza makes great color care products and since they have ceramides, it will help improve the condition of your hair. They also have more UV filters which is largely responsible for alot of the fading of color.

You can also try applying a clear rinse, like Adore or Sebastian a week after your permanent color to help seal it back in and then refresh with a rinse in the same color every 6-7 weeks or so, depending on how frequently you dye your hair.

hmm... now that's an idea... i've never really considered products formulated especially for preserving color... or the clear rinse.. thank you!

to answer your question, i never really change my products.... cw with either he ltr or the pantene masque when i feel extra dry...

Last edited:
I realized that washing with a sulfate shampoo rid my hair of ANY permanent color no matter the brand. I use sulfate-free shampoos now and my hair color has been lasting so far.

i shampoo pretty infrequently.... but when i do shampoo, i tend to use a clarifier (i think - whatever the he green looking shampoo is) and then mainly cw.... now if that shampoo is THAT strong, then it would deserve to be permanently removed from rotation...

i shampoo pretty infrequently.... but when i do shampoo, i tend to use a clarifier (i think - whatever the he green looking shampoo is) and then mainly cw.... now if that shampoo is THAT strong, then it would deserve to be permanently removed from rotation...

A clarifying shampoo you say? I used Suave Daily Clarifying ONCE weeks after dyeing my hair and most of the color was rinsed out. I literally saw the color go down the drain! :blush:

Funny! I was going to ask you if you're using clarifying shampoo. How often do you use it?

Also, if the other suggestion up there doesn't work, I'd say try a Bigen.

A clarifying shampoo you say? I used Suave Daily Clarifying ONCE weeks after dyeing my hair and most of the color was rinsed out. I literally saw the color go down the drain! :blush:

After dye? Not a rinse? Sheesh, that's the clarifying poo I use...if it's that harsh, I may need to toss it. :nono:

that SUX... now i'll definitely say that the last time i dyed and then used the shampoo about a week later, there was a ton of dye going down the drain, BUT i also did a lot of slacking when i rinsed my hair that time so it was very possible that i didn't do the greatest job and didn't get all of the "leftovers" out.. i'd hate to think that i basically stripped it out myself that time...

**no more he green shampoo**

Funny! I was going to ask you if you're using clarifying shampoo. How often do you use it?

Also, if the other suggestion up there doesn't work, I'd say try a Bigen.

ehhhhhhh maybe once every 2-3 weeks...

and after the last time i used bigen, i promised myself i'd never do it again... i think i'd do indigo before i did bigen again....

Oh, yes. My hair was dyed blue black and went back to reddish brown in less than a few months. So sad.

ok... here's my question for you... have you ever used henna??.... i'm really thinking that my past henna use has something to do with it.... my hair never had trouble holding color before i used henna...

ok... here's my question for you... have you ever used henna??.... i'm really thinking that my past henna use has something to do with it.... my hair never had trouble holding color before i used henna...

No, I've never used henna before. If henna keeps you from keeping color, I don't think I'll ever use it!

do any of you have problems keeping you hair colored?....

i'm finding that when i dye my hair, the color fades and goes completely away within a matter of months.... i use permanent dye and it's normally variations of black.... yet, my hair is reddish brown again within a matter of months everytime...

can anyone suggest a way to combat this issue?...

I can't believe Bigen washed out of your hair!! I wish this would have happened to my hair!! It stays on my hair without fading forever!

Which brings me to your original question. Maybe you need to open your cuticle before you color then seal afterwords. You ask how...hmm not sure but some other pros like Gymfreak might be able to chime in. It sounds to be that you aren't absorbing any of the color. Are you relaxed or natural? Does your hair maintain moisture? I clarify almost every week and don't use "color safe" per say products, and my color never fades on me.

Oh dang. :perplexed: And I was going to use Bigen...what happened? Lay it on me. :lol:

it took about 4 boxes (i think i was apl then) and even then i had to stretch it to get all my hair.... then it was super messy so that put me off... and then the color got dull after about a week (and i'm not big on lots of products so it wasn't buildup) and then faded completely about 2 months later.... :ohwell:

I can't believe Bigen washed out of your hair!! I wish this would have happened to my hair!! It stays on my hair without fading forever!

Which brings me to your original question. Maybe you need to open your cuticle before you color then seal afterwords. You ask how...hmm not sure but some other pros like Gymfreak might be able to chime in. It sounds to be that you aren't absorbing any of the color. Are you relaxed or natural? Does your hair maintain moisture? I clarify almost every week and don't use "color safe" per say products, and my color never fades on me.

i'm relaxed.... and my hair tends to maintain moisture pretty well (actual moisturizers)... if i were to wash it and not put anything on it afterward, parts of it would be dried out within an hour.... does that make sense?.. i don't know if i'm explaining it right...

i'm relaxed.... and my hair tends to maintain moisture pretty well (actual moisturizers)... if i were to wash it and not put anything on it afterward, parts of it would be dried out within an hour.... does that make sense?.. i don't know if i'm explaining it right...

This is quite interesting to me cause I have never heard of bigen doing this to anyone's hair. I do believe color fades over time but you shouldn't be having issues like you do.:nono: I'm going to do some research on this and if I find anything useful, I will post it.

Back