Eygptian wraps and blowdry

Undefeated Queen

Hi ladies! What do you all think of the Egyptian blow dry technique? A stylist told me that the excessive heat can be damaging to your hair, but I have a friend that is a faithful client of Yehia's in Hyde Park (Chicago) and her hair is below her bra strap.

i had it done on 4th of july in south holland my hair looked great the first day but the humidity did me in i will do it again for special occasions .....i am natural but one little section above my ear is still straight :( so be carefull of the heat

It's similar to the Dominican blowdry. Your hair is washed, then conditioned under a hooded steamer. Then it is blown straight (HOT) and rolled or curled with irons. The end result is a bouncy soft full head of hair.

I had it done in Hyde Park also (at Max & Co) and my hair looked beautiful and full and lush, like a Playboy Playmate's hair!! It was sexy and flowing and had a lot of body. The only thing is that, I can't imagine getting it done that way often. It did seem harsh...but what do I know. I'm used to a stylist who uses a pressing comb that's WAY too hot.

Basically, the Egyptian technique (the way I experienced it) is like a factory. One person washes you, another blows your hair dry as straight as possible (which is where I felt the potential damage) and then another will flat iron you.

The blow dryer is a super hot one, that could get your hair straight on its own with the right technique. Its the Pibbs Twin Turbo...I think he used the 2400 or the 2600. I've known other stylists who use dryer and the thing is amazing!!

Anyway, I loved the way my hair looked. It held up very well! I just think with the Pibbs dryer - and they can be a little rough with your hair, pulling and tugging with the brush...I think it could be a bit damaging.

(Sorry for the long post!)

Thanks for elaborating wylde.

Seems quite damaging. I mean it's enough w/ the dominicans using that Hades hot hood dryer and then the Hotter than hades blow dryer. But a flat iron press after that.

I think I'd love the results until about day three when I start noticing all the white balls on my hair shaft from damage.

I've had my hair done like that method and my hair was nice, pantene nice. I have a pic in my hair album, the pic of me with the tube top. Soooo much heat though.

I've gone to Ossama's intermittenly for the last years uptil recently. I had cut back in the last year or two and only went for relaxers or the occasional blow dry when my roots were out of control. I recently vowed a few months ago to not go back unless it's an emergency. I became fed up w/ the assembly line which made for a lack of consistency (at least the particular location I was going to), language barrier, changing staff. The heat is no joke! Definitely not something you want to do weekly or every couple of weeks. Right now, I'm going to a new guy I like so far. I really wanted someone who care for my hair, not just stlye. That's the difference.

There are a couple of threads I believe from awhile back in the salon review section discussing these salons.

Too much heat for my taste. I don't like my hair taken from wet to dry with a hand held hair dryer. I prefer to sit under a hood dryer to knock out some of the water and then hand held blow dryer used to straighten it.

I only do Ossama's (downtown) for special occassions. Very expensive (you can easily spend $100 on just a wash and blow dry). Had a touch up done there also, never again! Dude combed my hair before relaxing it! I was in complete shock, couldn't even speak.

I had a guy who gave the bomb trims but he has since relocated to the Ossama's in South Holland. I swear my hair seemed longer after one of his trims and thicker too, seriously!

I like the bounce my hair has after an Eygtian blow dry but it looks really big and dated (think Farrah Faucet-esqu). After it de-poofs its really nice.

They do get you in and out which is a definite plus!

Too much heat for me. I only went for a touch up so my hair was extra straight and flat the next day. I have seen some nice heads come out of there. I went yehias but I think I would have been better off at Ossamas but I've since given up on stylist. All they use is Aveda except for the relaxers (Affirm, Vitale, Designers Touch and something else).

Last edited:
I used to go to Ossama's downtown faithfully. The color that is in my album was done there about 2-3 years ago. I have also frequented ossma's in hyde park and i have been to yehia's downtown one time. Believe me in the years that i visited these salons, they FRIED my hair. 2 years later my hair is healthy and would cringe at the thought of letting them touch my hair again. Yeah they use Aveda but NOTHING will protect you against that hot blowdryer. They have the NERVE to make you pay MORE for a deep conditioner after YEARS of frying your hair with THEIR blowdriers. If you want BREAKAGE AND DAMAGE go see the egyptians. If you want healthy long hair rollerset your own hair or see the dominicans. There is one dominican place that I know of on the west side on armitage and central park. I have been there twice and was very satisfied each time. They charge about 25 dollars.

Back