extremely dry ends!!!

chelleypie810

I don't know what's going on but since I've gotten my hair layered my ends have been super dry. I checked my porosity and I'm pretty sure that's not it. I've tried all oils and moisturiZers too and no luck. HELP!!!

I don't know what's going on but since I've gotten my hair layered my ends have been super dry. I checked my porosity and I'm pretty sure that's not it. I've tried all oils and moisturiZers too and no luck. HELP!!!

Do you put your hair up and cover it at night?

I would say baggy. Works for me when my hair or ends feel dry.

I would do frequent hot oil treatments, but I'll pass on two lines that my stylist recommended to me since I bleached my hair to the point where my entire head of hair is dry and brittle:

Sebastian Drench shampoo and conditioner

Goldwell Kerasilk products

BTW, it'll take some time of regular use of these depending on the extent of dryness.

I would do frequent hot oil treatments, but I'll pass on two lines that my stylist recommended to me since I bleached my hair to the point where my entire head of hair is dry and brittle:

Sebastian Drench shampoo and conditioner

Goldwell Kerasilk products

BTW, it'll take some time of regular use of these depending on the extent of dryness.

I have to 2nd this Goldwell recommendation. It's the best stuff ever, but it costs $$$$ tho you can do OK online. It works like a charm tho OP.

My ends tended to dry up very quickly. I started using thick, waterbased moisturizers and bunning under a wig. My ends don't dry up that quickly anymore, and when they do dry they don't do it to the extent of being brittle.

I think the bunning, for me, gives the hair time to absorb the product and minimizes its evaporation as the ends are not exposed to the air. Some ladies have complained of mushy ends with bunning, to avoid this I'll only apply product then bun when my hair is 50-75% dry.

Whats your regimen?

-shampoo with naked naturals poo for color treated hair
-deep condition with africas best hair mayo or olive oil deep conditioner
-leave in moroccanoil styling cream or aphogee green tea or leave in hair mayo
-blow dry w/ brush or comb attachment and straighten

How frequently are you using the blow dryer with the brush/comb attachment? One common culprit of suffering ends is excessive brushing/combing, and with heat added to that, it can't really help.

I hope you find the problem!!

Moisturizing my ends, lightly sealing with oil and baggying has been the only thing that has worked for me. Oh, plus a silk scarf. I use Qhemet BBRC and coconut oil or sometimes I use the Qhemet AOHC as my sealer (on ends only).

How frequently are you using the blow dryer with the brush/comb attachment? One common culprit of suffering ends is excessive brushing/combing, and with heat added to that, it can't really help.

I hope you find the problem!!

I do it once per week. Maybe I should just do the roots? and just normally blow the ends w/ no brush or use the diffuser??? I dunno :sad: because my hair is really moisturized and soft, its the ends that are out of control dry.

I do it once per week. Maybe I should just do the roots? and just normally blow the ends w/ no brush or use the diffuser??? I dunno :sad: because my hair is really moisturized and soft, its the ends that are out of control dry.

In addition to the blow drying and heat styling causing issues with dryness, I would be a little cautious about using the Aphogee green tea restructerizer and the ORS Hair Mayo as leave-ins too often as well. They have quite a bit of protein in them that could make your hair a little hard and/or straw-like. I am not familiar with the Morrocanoil Cream or it's ingredients.

New growth can handle more than ends can as the ends are older hair and can be depleted of moisture faster than the new growth hair. Your main objective at this point is to minimize the blow drying and heat if you want to save your hair.

You may need to baggy your ends and do some moisturizing deep conditioner for a while to get the moisture back in your ends provided that they are not heat damaged already. I sure hope you find an effective solution for your hair. Good luck.

I have been using QP Elasta Mango Butter for my dr ends since July 2009 and so far so good.

I do this as well. I've found that non-water based moisturizers are more beneficial to the ends than water-based. Maybe this has something to do with end exposure and evaporation? W/e...

To OP: I've used mango butter, seyani hair butter, shea butter mixed with almond oil, JC nourish and shine, chagrin valley soap body butter balm, etc..

There is one thing I'm kind of confused about...I know some people will say that butters and oils are supposed to seal in moisture, while others say they can be a source of moisture. I've kept both things in mind...so when I was using water based moisturizers on my ends, I would seal with a butter or oil. I guess I still do that because I moisturize the length of the hair with a water based moisturizer and then concentrate on the ends (and edges) with an oil or butter, but the non-water based moisturizers in my PJ stash are primarily used to keep the ends protected and moist as they are tucked in and hidden.

I would recommend that the heat styling is cut down, and if possible, lower the heat settings. When I blow dry my hair, which is rare, I hit the ends with the cool setting, instead of the setting I use on the rest of the hair. I also never rely on the blow dryer itself to completely dry the hair 100%..this marginalizes the heat contact and the brushing...letting the hair air dry after a certain amount of blow drying.

Also, are you aware of your hair's protein sensitivity? Protein overload can be a quick way to dry ends as well.

I would recommend that the heat styling is cut down, and if possible, lower the heat settings. When I blow dry my hair, which is rare, I hit the ends with the cool setting, instead of the setting I use on the rest of the hair. I also never rely on the blow dryer itself to completely dry the hair 100%..this marginalizes the heat contact and the brushing...letting the hair air dry after a certain amount of blow drying.

Also, are you aware of your hair's protein sensitivity? Protein overload can be a quick way to dry ends as well.

yes i was thinking of just using a moisturizing deep conditioner for now. but i think i may have gotten protein overload when i used the hair mayo and aphogee green tea at the same time. ill prolly cut out the hair mayo.

In addition to the blow drying and heat styling causing issues with dryness, I would be a little cautious about using the Aphogee green tea restructerizer and the ORS Hair Mayo as leave-ins too often as well. They have quite a bit of protein in them that could make your hair a little hard and/or straw-like. I am not familiar with the Morrocanoil Cream or it's ingredients.

New growth can handle more than ends can as the ends are older hair and can be depleted of moisture faster than the new growth hair. Your main objective at this point is to minimize the blow drying and heat if you want to save your hair.

You may need to baggy your ends and do some moisturizing deep conditioner for a while to get the moisture back in your ends provided that they are not heat damaged already. I sure hope you find an effective solution for your hair. Good luck.

The moroccanoil is a moisturizing leave in plus a thermal protectant i'm pretty sure. I think i'll just use the aphogee green tea or should i cut out the green tea altogether because i don't use it too often. Should i just use the chi silk infusion if I straighten? I normally go to the salon but as of late my stylist isn't really doing my hair to my expectations and is also using too much heat for my liking. I wish i could bun everyday but my stylist cut my bangs too short and i'd have to wear my hair back everyday and i have a huge forehead! plus my hair is only at my neck and layered which makes it hard also.

You have enough protein treatment there, which is great. Can you try one weekend using a moisturizing conditioner like Keracare Humecto or Mizani Moisturefuse or another one with glycerin as the #2 ingredient? Do a 20 -30 minute DC with it and the glycerin will work as a great humectant, drawing the moisture into your hair. I would have suggested Nexxus humectress but last I checked the new formula had glycerin taken out of it. It used to work wonders for my hair but now that they took the glycerin out my hair wasn't as moisturized.

Also, when I stopped blow drying and just sat under the hooded dryer, my hair was more moisturized during the week. Now what I do is after I DC, I put in a leave-in, Chi-silk infusion, just a LITTLE natural oil, and hooded dryer on low. When I flat iron, still on low heat, my hair is super moisturized and it doesn't need any oil.

Last edited:
Found the culprit, it's the blowfrying that's making your hair dry, lay off the blowfryer, try airdrying or difussing your hair instead, moisterize more, DC w/ steam warm wet towel, baggy and/or bun. hth

Found the culprit, it's the blowfrying that's making your hair dry, lay off the blowfryer, try airdrying or difussing your hair instead, moisterize more, DC w/ steam warm wet towel, baggy and/or bun. hth

im def gonna try the hot towel! and diffused blowdrying...i might go to my friends and just use her hooded dryer. Because when I airdried my hair wasnt like this..but then I saw that airdrying for relaxed hair was bad ssoooo...i thought i should blow dry. ugh this is so confusing.

The moroccanoil is a moisturizing leave in plus a thermal protectant i'm pretty sure. I think i'll just use the aphogee green tea or should i cut out the green tea altogether because i don't use it too often. Should i just use the chi silk infusion if I straighten? I normally go to the salon but as of late my stylist isn't really doing my hair to my expectations and is also using too much heat for my liking. I wish i could bun everyday but my stylist cut my bangs too short and i'd have to wear my hair back everyday and i have a huge forehead! plus my hair is only at my neck and layered which makes it hard also.

Thanks for the update on the Morrocanoil Chelley. The protein in the Aphogee may be a little strong for your hair so yes I would cut it out for now.

I would also look for a moisturizing leave-in instead of a protein-based one. Kenra Daily Provision is great as a leave-in and as a daily moisturizer. I am now using Alba Botanica Leave In and Beauty Without Cruelty Leave in both as a leave in and as a daily moisturizer. The last 2 leave-ins are natural/organic and Terri (God bless her heart) bought them for me to try out and now I won't look back.

The only other Conditioner that I use as a leave in at this point is Elucence Moisturizing Conditioner which is also a deep conditioner as well. This is mostly natural/organic as well and smells divine. See how many of my products double as something else.

This way, I don't have to have sooooo many products anymore. I am trying to scale down my hair products to just a few brands that I trust and are doing a great job on my hair.

Make sure not to go overboard with too much moisture either or else you would end up on the opposite side of the spectrum with excessively soft mushy hair.

Keep it all balanced by paying close attention to how your hair feels after using every product on it. This is critical for the survival of your hair.

I really would get rid of the heat for now as well. I am relaxed and I allow my hair to airdry with no problems after every wash. It does not get the hair very straight and shiny like a flat iron but that's nothing a little coconut oil couldn't fix. Blow drying/flat-ironing/heat pressing/hot curling on a regular basis is a :nono: for me.

These heat styling tools I leave only for special occasions, etc. Very hot irons, dryers, hot curlers etc, can do irreparable damage to your hair so be very careful with them.

:yep:, I definitely agree with all the bolded Lucia.

Back