explaining hair stuff

Dolapo

Does anyone have problems explaining what you do to your hair. like conditioner wahses, baggieing, bunning, and stuff like that. today only, ive had to explain to three guys who happen to be white the deal with our hair. i have to explain relaxers and transitioning and this is what one said
airman_wiggs: yeah i hear that black guys' hair will grow longer than a black girl's

i didnt get pissed off cos i know its just ignorance. lol. so anyone have problems like me? i dont know what questions to get mad to or what not. lol. so how do you explain all these hair stuff to your family and friends?

Dolapo said:
Does anyone have problems explaining what you do to your hair. like conditioner wahses, baggieing, bunning, and stuff like that. today only, ive had to explain to three guys who happen to be white the deal with our hair. i have to explain relaxers and transitioning and this is what one said
airman_wiggs: yeah i hear that black guys' hair will grow longer than a black girl's

i didnt get pissed off cos i know its just ignorance. lol. so anyone have problems like me? i dont know what questions to get mad to or what not. lol. so how do you explain all these hair stuff to your family and friends?

Grr... why am i not surprised they said something like that. I've never really explained to anyone about hairstuff but sometimes i'll talk to my white girl friends about my routine. And my boyfriend too. He's white and uses hair cholesterol! :lol: I swear I didn't get him into it, I don't even own any! But my girl friends seem to understand more. Probably because we pay more attention to our hair than men. -shrugs-

My hair stylist was telling me about how one of her clients has a white husband who complains about how long it takes for her to get her hair done. He didn't understand how it could possibly take her 2-3 hours (she has long hair). So my stylist invited him to sit and watch... lol. She told me after 45 minutes he was itchy to leave. He eventually got up, kissed her client on the cheek and left to "run errands!" :grin:

Last edited:
Yeah, sometimes people, especially of other races get bewildered about our different hair types and rituals since there're so many different ones. And you know how some people will swear up and down something like greasing everday will make any black person's hair grow faster since it made their grandma's supposedly. I think sometimes people'll just spurt out the little things they've heard to feel like they aren't in the dark.
My old guy, who was white and has type 2a hair, surprisingly knew a bit about black hair types considering he lives in a small town and is a rocker, but I teased him about being a curly girl when I found out how he gets about his collarbone length hair and how he feels that shampoo isn't really neccesary... He knew about pressing combs and grease and dryness. It was cute and weird :lol: . Anyways, I wouldn't get bent out of shape about most things unless its just plain stupidity.

Kristenxdollface said:
Grr... why am i not surprised they said something like that. I've never really explained to anyone about hairstuff but sometimes i'll talk to my white girl friends about my routine. And my boyfriend too. He's white and uses hair cholesterol! :lol: I swear I didn't get him into it, I don't even own any! But my girl friends seem to understand more. Probably because we pay more attention to our hair than men. -shrugs-

My hair stylist was telling me about how one of her clients has a white husband who complains about how long it takes for her to get her hair done. He didn't understand how it could possibly take her 2-3 hours (she has long hair). So my stylist invited him to sit and watch... lol. She told me after 45 minutes he was itchy to leave. He eventually got up, kissed her client on the cheek and left to "run errands!" :grin:

yeah it was a white lady that advised me to try cholesterol.

Yes, my sweetie, (who happens to be a white guy with long hair that I want to use it for braids :) ) does not understand my struggle. He actually thinks I am making all of this up. I don’t care, though. I like explaining it to him because he is also very supportive, although I have gotten joked on many occasions. It’s fun.

Besides, there are even many sistas out there that don't know how to take care of their hair. I am always seeing my cousins, sister and mom doing damaging things to their locks and I know they get sick of me trying to explain the right way to do it. Anyway, I like talking about hair, so its all good :D

It still trips me out that most white people think that extensions and weaves are real. I had to explain to one white dude that Beyonce's silky blond locks were a weave. He was like, really?

caligirl said:
It still trips me out that most white people think that extensions and weaves are real. I had to explain to one white dude that Beyonce's silky blond locks were a weave. He was like, really?

yeah i told some guy that the girl he likes was wearing a weave and he tripped out and got mad at me. he said i was just hating. the day i got to talk to the girl, i asked her where she got her weave from and she told me. yeah, he was pretty speechless

i dont think there's anything wrong with weaves or wigs either. he was just saying how much the girl's hair was longer than mine and since he knew i was trying to grow my hair, he suggested that i ask her for her regimen and products. so i had no choice but to point it out. and since he got mad at me for saying it was a weave, i had no choice but to pointedly ask her in front of him. i was just defending myself :)

I just sit and explain. I can go on and on about hair and hair myths, until the person gets tired of me talking or they LEARN the truth the hard way... by my long sermons :lol:

Its just the way the world is. I prefer those that ask me honest questions than to make assumptions. I'm past getting mad.

Caucasian people are just facinated by ethnic hair. I usually go ahead and explain real basic like. Most times they don't mean any harm...they just don't know.

Dolapo said:
i dont think there's anything wrong with weaves or wigs either. he was just saying how much the girl's hair was longer than mine and since he knew i was trying to grow my hair, he suggested that i ask her for her regimen and products. so i had no choice but to point it out. and since he got mad at me for saying it was a weave, i had no choice but to pointedly ask her in front of him. i was just defending myself :)

He suggested that you ask her?! Yeah, he needed to be schooled. That's funny.

Queenie said:
That was an interesting article thanks for posting.
No problem. It was wierd flipping through Newsweek and getting news on war, politics and current events and then BAM! - A story about weaves. They just put it all out there. :)

Back