Exercisers, How Often Do You Wash? and some other info...

How often do you wash your hair when exercising regularly?

• Once a week

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • After every exercise session

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Three times a week

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Four times a week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Five times a week

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Six times or rmore a week

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Whenever it gets dirty enough

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

MissMusic

There just does not seem to be enough info on this board about hair and exercise, so here goes an attempt to add to it.

For those who exercise regularly:

How many times a week do you exercise?
Do you get any damage from exercising? If so, due to what?
How do you style your hair daily?
How do you style your hair when exercising?

Me:
I Wash Once a Week
How many times a week do you exercise? 3-5 days
Do you get any damage from exercising? If so, due to what? Nope
How do you style your hair daily? In any number of protective styles or down
How do you style your hair when exercising? In a french roll secured by a flexi-8 clip

Last edited:
How many times a week do you exercise?- Every day
Do you get any damage from exercising? If so, due to what? No
How do you style your hair daily? I wear it down and curly or in a messy bun
How do you style your hair when exercising?- It depends; If I am doing cardio then I twirl it and pin it up, then when I am done, after I shower and stuff, I have waves. Sometimes, I wrap it before working out and just take the wrap down once I workout.

I voted 2X/Week

How many times a week do you exercise? 6

How do you style your hair daily? In a bun. It's boring but that's all I can do if I want to keep up my workout regimen
How do you style your hair when exercising? In a bun/a roller and I tie it down

What I am struggling with now is my new growth. Today made me 10 weeks post and it is a struggle maintaining it while exercising. I wanted to go until 16 weeks or at the least 12. But I think I will relax at 11 1/2.

I exercise Monday through Friday. I co-wash every night. I wash on Wedesday night and Saturday night. I have experienced no damage. My hair used to dry out after the sweat dried in my hair, but it doesn't anymore since I started sealing with oil instead of a butter or pomade (go figure). I co-wash, spritz my hair with my mixture of filtered water/aloe vera gel. I apply either my Surya leave-in or my Kan Kanechomn leave-in (both are creamy) and seal with a moderate amount of my oil mix of several different oils. I wear my hair the way it is in my avatar every day. After exercising, I brush it back once or twice and tie my satin scarf on tight for a couple of minutes, then I am good to go back to work.

I exercise about 4-5 times a week and I wash after every session since my BC. When I had long relaxed hair, I would wash 2-3 times a week, so pretty much every other day. I never knew what to do with my hair after a workout session, especially during my transition...it was very frustrating.:wallbash:

How many times a week do you exercise? 3-5 times a week.
How do you style your hair daily? Two strand twists in an up-do
How do you style your hair when exercising? Two strand twists in an up-do

Twice a week, I put conditioner on my dry hair, and workout, then rinse it out - so I sorta cowash twice a week, usually. The other days, depending on how sweaty I get, I'll usually at least rinse my head well....

I exercise 3-4 days per week; however I wash only once per week with no ill effects.

Not at all. In fact, my growth has increased from regular workouts...I highly recommend it.

I mostly wear buns and spiral sets.

I bun (or pin curl the spiral set) then cover with silk scarf and bonnet. (I workout at home so I don't care how I look while doing it.:look:)

I exercise 7 days a week, this includes Saturday and Sunday when I go to the track across the street from my home for my 1 hour speed walking.

I go to the gym 4 times a week, and because my hair is touching the machines and when I take classes, I'm usually dripping in sweat so co-washing is a must. I have experienced ZERO damage from exercise, I have been reaping the benefits of increased circulation which promotes hair growth. I wear my hair in a ponytail while I exercise and during the day at work I wear a ponytail or a braidout. I co-wash daily and use my HE Hello Hydration conditioner as a leave in and seal with castor oil, then add coconut oil in the a.m. for shine. When I do this you can barely see my new growth but once I break a sweat you can see Africa emerging. LOL:lachen:

How many times a week do you exercise?3-4 times/week
Do you get any damage from exercising? If so, due to what?Hair damage? No.
How do you style your hair daily?It depends. I do a little of everything - straight, curly, braidouts, ponytails, buns. I like variety. :lol:
How do you style your hair when exercising?Usually in a bun with a scarf on top

I wash 1x a week now

3-6x a week
No damage
Usually in a some kind of updo
In a bun

I'm worried about what to do with my hair when exercising too. I usually work out everyday when my hair is braided, but with it natural, I try to pin it up and keep workouts lite. I'm only washing on Saturdays.

I cowash after every workout when my hair is not in a protective style...when it is, I just clean my scalp with ORS Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo:yawn:

How many times a week do you exercise? 5
Do you get any damage from exercising? If so, due to what? None

How do you style your hair daily? Braided bun
How do you style your hair when exercising? Braided bun

I cowash at least every other day, but wash about once per week.

How many times a week do you exercise? 4-5

Do you get any damage from exercising? If so, due to what? None whatsoever...however, exercising without washing or co-washing, conditioning, or moisturizing the hair will lead to dryness. We all know that dryness = breakage.

How do you style your hair daily? bun or a twist bun(twists pulled back in a bun)

How do you style your hair when exercising? I workout after work so anyway it's out of my face, usually a bun.

I exercise 2 days on, 1 day off, 1 day on, 1 day off, 2 days on, etc...so after workout, my scalp is full of salt and sweat and a co-wash is a must. With my regime, I am co-washing about 4-5x a week. I shampoo about 2x during my week.

I wash my hair three times a week now.

For those who exercise regularly:

I do aerobics on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Those are my co-wash days.

NO damage.

Twist/Braid Extensions.

Pull back into a low ponytail.

I co-wash at least twice a week and poo and deep condition on Friday evenings or Sunday mornings. I co-wash when I shower on the nights I work out.

How many times a week do you exercise? 2-3 times a week

Do you get any damage from exercising? If so, due to what? No, I think I've recognized faster newgrowth from this. Seems the more I workout in a week, the quicker I need a re-touch.

How do you style your hair daily? Definitely buns, or pony rollersets, I've more recently experimented with doing wraps myself.

How do you style your hair when exercising? I've worn it down once during a Kickboxing class, never again, too hot. But when I did and left it down to air dry, I was able to maintain some body to my wrap. Now though, its buns, ponies, or in a hair clip.

Last edited:
How many times a week do you exercise? 3-5x week
Do you get any damage from exercising? If so, due to what?no

How do you style your hair daily?its either down or up in some way (ponytail or bun). I usually switch from having it down and up throughout the day
How do you style your hair when exercising?THE BEST THAT WORKS FOR ME: I put my hair in a bun and set the bun a little low then tie with a silk scarf. By the time Im out the shower, my hair is 80 percent dry, I then blow dry it the rest of the way on cool. My hair has body this way and my roots stay straighter!

I cowash after every workout when my hair is not in a protective style...when it is, I just clean my scalp with ORS Herbal Cleanse Dry Shampoo:yawn:

I thought about using that after my workouts, how do you like it and could you post the ingredients pretty please with a cherry on top?

How many times a week do you exercise? 6-7 days a week
Do you get any damage from exercising? No If so, due to what?
How do you style your hair daily? Currently, my hair is a twa so I just cw when I get home from the gym followed by a moisturizer and seal with oil.
How do you style your hair when exercising? N/A

5-6x a week

not necessarily from exercising but from pulling my hair too tight in ponytails when I exercise

usually a twistout or a bun

see above answer...although I'm trying to be less "rough" w/ my edges.:drunk:

Do you get any damage from exercising? If so, due to what? No, I think I've recognized faster newgrowth from this. Seems the more I workout in a week, the quicker I need a re-touch.

Yeah I've noticed this too and I am definitely not complaining!

I exercise 7 days a week, this includes Saturday and Sunday when I go to the track across the street from my home for my 1 hour speed walking.

I go to the gym 4 times a week, and because my hair is touching the machines and when I take classes, I'm usually dripping in sweat so co-washing is a must. I have experienced ZERO damage from exercise, I have been reaping the benefits of increased circulation which promotes hair growth. I wear my hair in a ponytail while I exercise and during the day at work I wear a ponytail or a braidout. I co-wash daily and use my HE Hello Hydration conditioner as a leave in and seal with castor oil, then add coconut oil in the a.m. for shine. When I do this you can barely see my new growth but once I break a sweat you can see Africa emerging. LOL:lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

How many times a week do you exercise? 3-5
Do you get any damage from exercising? If so, due to what? no
How do you style your hair daily? bun
How do you style your hair when exercising? twist it at the bottom of my head and pin it into a type of bun.

I cowash probably 2-3 times a week and shampoo once a week. I'm about to switch back to shampooing twice a week and I will still cowash.

Last edited:
i work out 4-5 times a week and i co-wash every day now that it's warm. :yep: when it gets colder, i'll just wash whenever my scalp feels gross.

Now that the weather is warm, I have started to go for 2 mile walks, depending on the humidity, I either cowash or poo if I am really sweaty.

It averages out to be like 2 CW's a week and one poo a week. Right now I am only 3 weeks post so my airdry still look okay, noticed I said okay. I find that my hair is textured and for work I either bun or use a kinky phony pony(the new love of my life).

I am hoping that my 4a/b hair will like the increased moisture. I have abandoned rollersetting, which means less manipulation- and my hair seems to be happy with that.

If only I could get my air dries to be a little smoother:rolleyes:.

How many times a week do you exercise? 3-5 times per week
How do you style your hair daily? I put my hair up in a clip.
How do you style your hair when exercising? The same

Pretty much, everyday I cowash and I then airdry my hair. My hair seems to be doing ok, however the only issue that I have been having is getting my hair to be smoother after airdrying.

This is my OLD regimen since I am not working out much anymore.

I exercised 5 days per week for an hour before work 8 a.m. - 9 a.m. with 10 minutes of cardio then free weights plus some circuit training.

No, no damage to my hair

Currently I pin my hair up in a bun daily (after a rollerset or after a cowash).

I had to be at work by 10 a.m. most days so I had time to do my hair. Initially I rollerset at the gym with a portable bonnet attachment dryer. After a few weeks of that I got a weave. I wore my hair out daily but it was weaved with a wet & wavy texture.

Back