Essential oils that are highly fragranced

Britt

I'd like to start oiling my scalp once in a while, prob with evoo. What can I add to it so that it smells really good? For ex, I :love: the smell of KBB's chamomile sage, what fragrance oil can I add to my own oils that will be safe for my scalp? When people scent their hair products or oils, what are they using? Where can I buy it?

For example, where are these hair vendors getting their scents from to use in their products?

You can use fragrance oils, they come in all kinds of scents and are skin safe.

You can check out http://brambleberry.com for lots of fragrance choices. They also have Essentail oil blends but, be careful b/c not all of those are safe for using close to the scalp and hair.

I make and sell products and I get a lot of fragrances from them. Very reputable site.

You can get EOs from Whole Foods or your local health food store. There are a wide variety of scents. The ones typically used for the scalp and hair are rosemary, basil, sage, lavender, peppermint, chamomile, eucalyptus. But there are some really wonderful fragrances like almond, orange, lemon, etc.

Locally they typically start at $8 and go u from there.

I get mine locally but I know that you can get them on the web as well. I don't have any online sites for you though.

Thanks everyone! I'm just wondering where do these natural hair vendors get their scents from. I know of sage, nettle, rosemary, etc... but there are vendors that have items that smell like coconut, vanilla, a fresh smell, citrus...I'm just a bit confused b/c I want something that is safe for my hair/scalp. I'll check out WF, I know they have a section with pure essential oil extracts, but I wasn't sure if those are safe for skin/hair.

You can ask the sales ppl at WF for advice. They're actually pretty knowledgeable. But the bottle should have instructions and mention that it should be diluted in a carrier oil before using it on the body. They're usually in tiny bottles with a dropper top. Don't apply essential oils directly to your skin.

They also have body oil blends in larger bottles (ex. jojoba and other carrier oils with fragrance added). Or you can buy the carrier oil and scent it yourself.

ETA: Here's an example of a wholesale site with essential oils and essential oil blends. Vendors could buy in bulk from sites like that one.

Last edited:
Essential oils are natural plant essences. A lot of the fragrances used in cosmetics are artificial. The ones that smell like fruits, baked goods, brown sugar, blends like "vanilla pear", etc., in most cases those are fragrance oils. Coconut scent in cosmetics is generally artificial unless the product was made with extra virgin coconut oil but that is a softer scent - not a sweet coconut candy type smell. You can get fragrance oils from a supplier like from nature with love. They have fragrance oils that are safe for cosmetic use and others that aren't so make sure you read the product description before you buy. Also not all artificial fragrances agree with everyone. So if you want to scent your own oils make a small tester sample and apply it inside your elbow or something before you go to bed and see if you like it before you make a bigger recipe and apply it all over your head.

Back