ELUCENCE...read this crock of BS...

DelightfulFlame

Okay, so I had heard about Elucence products for a while. I thought they were all natural, so I went to the website to check them out. (I'm trying to switch to using all natural products). Anyhow, at the website, I look at the ingredient list and sure enough...all natural ingredients. I ordered some shampoo, clarifying shampoo, and conditioner, and they arrived today. I looked at the ingredients and they contained just about every un-natural preservative as all the other conditioners contain. Shoot, I could've just kept using my Pantene if this was all I was gonna get, and saved my behind all that money for shipping.

Anyhow, I emailed them to let them know I was not pleased, and I felt very misled by the ingredient list on the website. Someone emails me back and says that it is against their policy to allow returns, and that they will allow it this once. But I will have to pay shipping (AGAIN) to return them. Then they will credit my account $20. How dumb do I look? That means I will have paid $14 in shipping for some $20 products that I don't even have? I figure I'll just cut my losses and try to find someone to give or sell them to.

Oh, and she said that if I was concerned about the ingredients, then I should have emailed them. Okay, if I had known they were LYING on the website, then I probably would have. Oh, and then she tries to make the company sound like saints by saying that most companies don't even list the ingredients. I replied that if she hadn't have listed hers, then I probably wouldn't feel so misled, and that I more than likely WOULD have emailed to inquire about them. Forgive me for thinking they were a decent company that means what they say.

And she gave another LIE about how they couldn't possibly list the ingredients on the website because there are so many. Who's programming the thing? A third grader? Take the site off of 20pt. font, and there will be enough room!

Humph! THE NERVE!
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
bee said:
Hmph!! Shame on them:(

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Thanks for the info DelightfulFlame. I wil not be ordering that ELUCENCE!

Where on the website does it say all natural ingredients? I don't even see a place on the website that lists ALL of the ingredients. Point it out please.
smile.gif

I can see how this part could be misleading.."Having healthy beautiful hair is the desire of all women. This line of (natural) quality products will promote beautiful and healthy hair when used properly (please read instructions). Each product is formulated with pharmecutical grade ingredients, which means that they have been determined to contain the highest level of quality ingredients. These products do not contain any animal ingredients nor have they been tested on animals, and they are friendly to the environment because they are biodegradable. The aromatherapy of these products is just another reason why you will love these products.

Consumers that use Elucence products will experience a positive difference in the condition of their hair due to the incorporation of natural ingredients. Our population of multicultural people can use this Professional line of natural products without hesitation, because they perform equally well on a variety of hair textures. The infusion of nutrients into Elucence has set a new standard for creating beautiful, soft, shiny and healthy hair."

Ladies..ladies....

Remember...

Everyone hair is different. Not every product is made for everyone's hair type... With that said....

DelightfulFlame.... You are too funny. I do agree with you about how they treated you. I glad you created this thread to make everyone aware of this company. Kodos to ya!!!
clap.gif

CurlyCrly...

I take it that you have had a positive experience with this company and/or products?!?!?! What was your experience and do you work for the company ?

I had a great experience with this company. They shipped the product the way I wanted it to be shipped when I said I didn't want it delivered UPS and even lowered my shipping costs. I like their conditioner too. However I can understand DF's anger over their natural claim. I stick with AO if I want all natural products.

[ QUOTE ]
DelightfulFlame said:
And she gave another LIE about how they couldn't possibly list the ingredients on the website because there are so many. Who's programming the thing? A third grader? Take the site off of 20pt. font, and there will be enough room!

Humph! THE NERVE!
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

INDEED!

lachen70.gif

I'm sorry for your experience DF, but that story was too funny!

I don't think there's any way a commercial product for mass distributuion can be all natural. The manufacturer would have to at least add preservatives to keep the product fresh.

Sorry that happened to you Delightful. They should really refund the shipping too...
frown.gif
I thought that shampoo from Black Seed that i was using was "all natural". Thanks again to that link to Abrey Organics. I am going to order from there next week. Do you buy from them often? I am going to try the Camomile Luxurious Herbal Shampoo .
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
blacktresses said:
Ladies..ladies....

Remember...

Everyone hair is different. Not every product is made for everyone's hair type... With that said....

DelightfulFlame.... You are too funny. I do agree with you about how they treated you. I glad you created this thread to make everyone aware of this company. Kodos to ya!!!
clap.gif

CurlyCrly...

I take it that you have had a positive experience with this company and/or products?!?!?! What was your experience and do you work for the company ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have had positive experiences with them and I am very satisfied with their products. I never assumed them to be all natural. There are MANY people on this forum who like these products. No, I do not work for them.

The part that made me think they were natural was the page that lists the products and the ingredients. I just went back and viewed the page http://www.pleasantimage.com/generic3.html. I guess that they list "main ingredients" is how they sleep at night. I never noticed the word "main" before. I guess that should have been my clue. I saw the word ingredients, and took it that those were the ingredients. I didn't know I had to be Sherlock Holmes sniffing out clues to try to figure out what is in the stuff!

And yes, there are others that make products that don't use those type of preservatives. AO doesn't use them, and CD doesn't either. I also like Dr. Bronner's castille soap shampoo. I guess I'll just stick to those.

[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:
That was very misleading and I would be upset too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. That's false advertisement!
mad.gif

I'm sorry DF. I hope you will at least be able to recoup your money by selling the products to someone else. I think it's important to be satisfied when you're spending your hard-earned money.
smile.gif

I think (like SVT says) that all commercial products have to use preservatives and such--even Aubrey & Aveda have some "non-natural" ingredients.

I guess the benefits to lines like Elucence, Aveda, Aubrey is that you get more natural ingredients in them than the average product. I remember when Mizani Moisturefuse was like that then they went "chemical" with the whole thing
frown.gif
--they ain't gettin' my money no' mo' so I'm feelin' you DF on what you've come to expect from a hair product.

Based on the inaccuracy of their website, I think they should have made an exception and refunded your money if you return the product. I called their attention to another inaccuracy last spring and it's still on the website. Although I was not mislead into thinking the products were all natural, I hope the actual Elucence website is accurate and not misleading to consumers who are seeking natural products.

DelightfulFlame, don't get me started! I totally understand your anger. The terms "Natural" and "Organic" have become buzz words PR people use to describe ingredients that are not natural and organic. The company that makes the "Organic Hair Stimulator" is another example of that. They are not using organic ingredients, yet they're calling the product "Organic."
PS: The nerve of them not to allow returns! HA!

DF, I'd be pissed too. And much as I complain when pple don't list ingredients, I agree it's better not to say anything than tell a half-truth. What if you'd been seriously allergic to a product they didn't list that wasn't purely organic and hadn't taken the trouble to read the ingredients before using? What BS is this that they don't do refunds? Well, excuuuuuse me! How about they put that in bold flashing red letters on the first page (maybe they have; I haven't looked and don't feel like it, so forgive me if I'm out of touch on that) so that I know to stop shopping there before I get started? And if it isn't too revealing and uncomfortable for them, why not put an asterisk next to the main ingredients heading and clarify, for those of us who are too trusting, that MAIN INGREDIENTS listed omit some chemicals found in the product (maybe not exactly in those words, but somewhat bring to the attention of the buyer that not everything is natural). I mean, even some peanut butter jars have the words "Please note: Contains peanuts", as obvious as that might seem. They sure don't know how to cover their a$$e$ by dotting all I's and crossing all T's... I guess they're lucky their products are good for a lot of pple or they'd make a good candidate for one of those "expose the villain" TV shows.

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
I think (like SVT says) that all commercial products have to use preservatives and such--even Aubrey & Aveda have some "non-natural" ingredients.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I know about Aveda, but what does Aubrey contain that's not natural?

[ QUOTE ]
DelightfulFlame said:
I saw the word ingredients, and took it that those were the ingredients. I didn't know I had to be Sherlock Holmes sniffing out clues to try to figure out what is in the stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]

DF, you are too funny!
laugh.gif
Sorry about your experience, that was very misleading and I would be pissed off as well.

DF, sorry to hear your experience with this product. I ordered mine before the New Years and just received it. I plan to try it out tonite. I saw the ingredient "sodium myreth" and I know it's not exactly all natural. I was hesitiant to buy their shampoo because of that ingredient. I had a bad experience in the past with this ingredient specifically, dryness.
Here is a good link on sodium myreth

http://www.lindachae.com/Truth_about_SLS.htm

I agree with you and I think this is unfair. I really do think that you should push the issue. I too was disappointed when I got my Elucence and realized it had stearalkonium chloride. Nowhere on the website does it make the disclaimer that the ingredient list is incomplete. Even though I do use Elucence, I agree that it is misleading and they should pay for the shipping.

DF, maybe you can stress to them how we all agree with you here on the forum that they should give u a complete refund. I know they are really grateful for LHCF because they have a lot of customers who buy from them. Who knows, maybe they may refund you...

Delightful Flame ~

I'm sorry you had this experience with Elucence. It's one of my favorite brands, along with Aubrey Organics. You had asked SG what Aubrey Organics included to make its products less than 100% natural/organic. I'm a bit cynical when it comes to mass-marketed "all natural" or "all organic" personal care lines because:

1. "Natural" claims are not regulated by the FDA. No federal legal definition of "natural" currently exists; therefore, cosmetics companies can make term "natural" or even "all natural" to mean anything they want. Besides, by the time a plant substance is added to a cosmetic, gets preserved, stabilized and mixed with other ingredients, it loses most, if not all, of its natural characteristics...there's no way it can remain identical to what came out of the ground. (See FDA Consumer magazine, May-June 1998, rev. May 1998, Aug. 2000.)

2. Aubrey Organics has <font color="red">repeatedly run afoul of required FDA labeling regulations,</font> not only for making claims that would reclassify certain of its products as drugs, instead of as merely cosmetics, but also for <font color="red">listing natural ingredients on its label that did not exist in its formulas and the FDA found ingredients in Aubrey Organics' formulas that were not listed on its labels!</font> Repeated FDA investigations for non-compliance and inaccuracy of ingredient labeling does not bode well. FDA Warning Letter I have no idea what, if anything, AO has done to bring its products into compliance, but if its past performance (or lack thereof) is any indication...it's not good.

Marketing products as purely cosmetics, when some of them fall under the government definition for drugs, is misleading...and a bit troubling. How do we know they're safe and/or effective? AO did not run the requisite drug tests to insure such an outcome. Notably, the FDA standard for drugs is much stricter and more rigorous than the standard applied to cosmetics. AO's repeated violations in this area do not bode well for those who rely solely on the label for information (which is normally a reasonable thing to do).

AO has done an impressive job of getting many distributors (online and IRL) to parrot its press releases, but what the U.S. government and the industry trade rag reveal tells another story entirely. AO's FDA inspections were the subject of The Rose Sheet, an industry newsletter (warning: you have to pay for membership). Also, not good.

3. Regulatory violations aside, the "natural" preservatives AO uses - Citrus seed extract with vitamins A, C, &amp; E - have their own issues, mainly stability problems...which means relying solely on those ingredients to preserve the integrity of your product is a hit-or-miss proposition. In addition, none of those ingredients were listed on the FDA website as antimicrobial (i.e., fight bacteria).

...so all of this leads me to wonder:
<ul type="square"> [*]How "natural" is Aubrey Organics - if it's leaving ingredients out of its printed label? [*]...and just as importantly, has included natural ingredients on its labels that aren't in its formulas? [*]How safe is AO if its preservatives have a well-known history of instability? [*]How safe is AO without any proven antimicrobial ingredients? [*]...Notably, I've had *no* problems with deteriorating AO products, which leads me to wonder exactly what ingredients AO left off the list? [/list]

Given these concerns, it's up to each of us to determine whether to continue using certain products, or even certain brands. I, for one, love how Elucence and Aubrey Organics products perform on my hair and I am willing to risk exposure to the chemical compounds (Elucence) and the unknown (AO) until I learn otherwise.

Sorry this post was so long! Just wanna help!
smile.gif

Nyambura, That is an interesting warning letter from FDA to AO. I always wondered about AO because some of their shampoo lather to much for being organic and so does Avalon shampoos and even Giovanni but I do love Giovanni Triple tea shampoo and AO GBP
smile.gif
I bought AO's baby shampoo couple of months ago and I used not even a dime size and I had to rinse my son's hair like 7 times because it foamed so much so I stop using it.

Thanks Nyambura--

DF, I hope that answers the question, but also what I was going to say was that I found an article one time (it's on this site SOMEWHERE!) that talked about how products that say they are all natural or organic really can't be unless they are being mixed &amp; sold right in the store. And then that they would have to be used within a couple of days or they would no longer be good. Does that make sense?

I am looking at my bottle of GPB right now and as Nyambura said, there are only some ingredients listed on the bottle &amp; it would appear that it is "all natural" but there has to be some kind of preservation ingredient in there and most likely an emulsifier as well. I'm not knocking their products, in fact they are very good &amp; good quality. Just saying that their "all natural" claim can't be true. Maybe they should say "mostly-natural"
laugh.gif

same with Elucence...

Isn't that letter something else, Miosy?
smile.gif
And what's sad is that AO had repeatedly done it before. I agree also that shampoos that lather a lot tend to have a synthetic ingredient. Interestingly, in 2002 the U.S.D.A. established national standards for all organic foods but none for cosmetics. The only State I'm aware of that applies standards to organic cosmetics is California, and that was last year (2003), which requires a product contain at least 70% certified organic ingredients before it can carry the State-approved organic seal. (AO isn't a California company, it's a Florida company.)

Given AO's repeated failure to comply with federal regulations as they currently exist, I don't know how well it would fare under a national standard similar to California's. There are groups advocating for organic cosmetics to be held to the same national standard as organic food. One group is Organic Consumers Association, based in Little Marais, Minnesota (
smirk.gif
), which is convinced that some manufacturers continue to label their products as organic, when the majority of their ingredients are either synthetic or derived from petro-chemicals.

I would have been hot too...

NOTE TO SELF: Buy Elucence when earth has dried up completly of water...and there is no more Crisco!

You're welcome, SG.
smile.gif
I agree too about the preservatives. The preservatives AO claims it uses (vits A, C, &amp; E plus citrus seed extract) have well-known problems with remaining stable. In addition, they don't have established antimicrobial benefits...so even if the product doesn't last as long as those with synthetic ingredients (like the ever-controversial -parabens), it runs the risk of containing product that is crawling with bacteria.

I wish AO would come clean. I love GPB conditioner and AO J.A.Y. shampoo.

Back