Electric / Plug-In Hotcombs??

londontresses

Well I have finally transitioned and did a crazy-3am-fed-up-with-these-2-textures-big chop so my hair is 100% natural:woot:- lol!

Loving my kinks and curls, but wondered for those of you that are natural (4a/4b) and hotcomb, have you used a plug in hotcomb? Was it any good? What sort of results did you get? Would you recommend a specific make? What pressing oil did you use?

I have some hair straightners which are a pretty good make, just wondered about the electric hotcombs in particular.

TIA x

Well I don't have anything to add since I've only used the stove hot comb:ohwell:, but that was in the past, WAY in the past. But I do want to congratulate you on your BC! I'll be joining the club soon. What's stopping you from using a flat iron though? Many ladies here have success with it. Also, I do believe some ladies are having success with the stove hot comb as well. Hopefully someone will chime in with some info.

Hi RedRiot,

Thanks! I used to get my hair straightened with a hot comb on the stove a long time ago aswell! It look relaxed and lasted a good couple weeks! I just dont seem to get the same look with straightners :perplexed...possibly its my technique.....so I kinda wanted to find out if people got the same results with electric as with stove hotcombs as it would be a lot cheaper and convenient if I could press it myself and get good results at home. But I dont want to buy one and waste my cash!!

Good luck with your transition! I say go for the BC! My hairs grown so much faster and healthier since I did it.

Last edited:
I purchased an electric hotcomb 3 months ago to use on my daughter's hair.

I bought it from Sally's.

My daughter has really thick, course hair. The comb worked, however, the results were temporary. Within two days I had to braid her hair.

:sad:

I purchased an electric hotcomb 3 months ago to use on my daughter's hair.

I bought it from Sally's.

My daughter has really thick, course hair. The comb worked, however, the results were temporary. Within two days I had to braid her hair.

:sad:

Thanks QueenT....what make was it????

I also have an Gold'n Hot Electric Comb because I don't trust myself with a stove top comb...honestly, it was a bit of a waste for me. i just wanted it to go around my edges and sometimes my roots...even with the temp setting all the way on 10, my hair laughed at it and reverted as soon as I moved on to the next section of hair. HTH!

And by the way :congrats: on the BC! How do you feel?

Thanks Luvmylife and Queen T...this is the sort of info I wanted before going out and buying one!

Luvmylife, I wont lie....at the start my hair was tough and dry and I felt ready to relax - plus I didnt have the saftey cushion of the relaxed ends! But over the past month or so I realised I was neglecting it and being lazy bcz it was in plaits (i.e. a quick spritz with my SCurl in the morning wasnt cutting it :nono:)....I've been moisturising and steaming it and its really picked up! I love my curls and forgot my texture was actually really soft and curly.

Thanks again! x

I wish I could remember the brand of the plug in one I used, but all I can say to you is BE CAREFUL!

I used a plug in hot comb while I was first transitioning because I wanted to check my progress. I ended up burning out a huge chunk of hair in the back. My hair literally came out in my hands. Those suckers can get ridiculously hot!

I now use a flat iron. Please temper your hot comb with a towel before you use it. I skipped that step and that's how I burnt out my hair.

Back