eHarmony - questions and a rant

Glib Gurl

Uhm, when eHarmony "matches" you with someone, they see your profile and you see theirs, right? Why won't it let you "delete" profiles your not interested in? (Or maybe there's a way to do so that I don't know about?) I don't need to be reminded of the 28 year old who "closed" communication with me because "our age difference is too great" (I'm 31 :look:)

Has anyone here had any success with eHarmony? (I've heard stories about match.com, plentyoffish.com, and other sites, but I've not met anyone who coupled up through eHarmony . . . . )

I did find someone who ended up just about proposing to me through eharmony. Oddly enough, we already knew one another in real life and he is not "the one." Not exactly a success story, but hey, there was the real potential for one.

I do think eHarmony is loosening up its matching criteria, though. The last time I was on I wasn't nearly as satisfied with the quality of the matches as the first time around.

I do know a well matched and happily married couple--my former boss and his wife--that met online. They didn't disclose exactly where online, though. Been married around 10 years now.

Last edited:
a man in my church met & got married to the woman he met at e-harmony and they are both black. i met 2 men on e-harmony. no love connection but i am still e-friends with both 5 yrs later.

My friend met her now husband on eharmony. He proposed less than a year after they met.

Another friend met her husband on match.com.

My ex-coworker met her husband on e-Harmony and she knew several people who met and got married from being on e-Harmony. I have a friend who tried it and she said the men on there really were looking to get married. No love connection for her though because she really wasn't all that interested I think.

I just came in here to post a thread about eHarmony. Wonder if I should still do it. I just saw a commercial of theirs that said they account for 2% of all new marriages. That is kind of amazing.

I tried it for month and just canceled. I wasn't happy with the matches they sent to me.

I just came in here to post a thread about eHarmony. Wonder if I should still do it. I just saw a commercial of theirs that said they account for 2% of all new marriages. That is kind of amazing.

There's a book out called "Microtrends" that examines emerging demographic groups -- ones that are small, but growing. The author said that 1 out of 10 new marriages since a certain year involve couples that met on the Internet. The group is called "Internet Marrieds."

I haven't read the book, so I can't tell you more than that, but what you said made me think about that stat.

Oh, and I never subscribed to eHarmony. I filled out the form and got some matches, but never really followed through on it. I had good luck with Match.com though.

There's a book out called "Microtrends" that examines emerging demographic groups -- ones that are small, but growing. The author said that 1 out of 10 new marriages since a certain year involve couples that met on the Internet. The group is called "Internet Marrieds."

I haven't read the book, so I can't tell you more than that, but what you said made me think about that stat.

Oh, and I never subscribed to eHarmony. I filled out the form and got some matches, but never really followed through on it. I had good luck with Match.com though.

I have had lousy luck with match.com . . . we shall see how eHarmony goes.

That is funny about finding someone you already know in real life online . . . . that happened to me once :lol:

I lady that use to work at the office supply store met and married someone off a dating site a couple of years ago. She's back now, divorced and with a kid.

My sister married a guy in October that she met online. They dated for at least 6 maybe 7 years before getting married. I also have a girlfriend that got married in 2007 to a man she met online the year before. They had a baby girl in 2008 and are doing well. It is her second marriage his first.

a family member is getting married to a guy she met online (the site is not operating anymore). He is the 4th or 5th guy she met online over a period of 5 years.

I am not a paying customer of eharmony, but I've filled out the necessary forms and even put up a picture when they had their free communication weekend a few weeks back. I had interesting matches, but nothing to get excited about. Plus they were long distance. I didn't sign up. I didnt' like seeing the 'close communication' part as well.

My husband and I met via e-Harmony in 2005. But it was an accident, so I'm 100% sure God had His hand in it too :yep:

Uhm, when eHarmony "matches" you with someone, they see your profile and you see theirs, right? Why won't it let you "delete" profiles your not interested in? (Or maybe there's a way to do so that I don't know about?) I don't need to be reminded of the 28 year old who "closed" communication with me because "our age difference is too great" (I'm 31 :look:)

Has anyone here had any success with eHarmony? (I've heard stories about match.com, plentyoffish.com, and other sites, but I've not met anyone who coupled up through eHarmony . . . . )

You can "close" matches that "close" you. That way he will no longer appear in your "matches" section. He'll just move to your "closed" section. HTH!

I tried it for month and just canceled. I wasn't happy with the matches they sent to me.
Same here. I tried it for 3 months. What frustrated me was I filled out all this information, but when I look at the profiles for the matches they sent me there wasn't really all that much info.

Well on second thought i just went back on Match.com and updated my profile and its alot cheaper than eharmony so i may give it another try. I had a girlfriend that met her husband on their(well they arent together anymore--but not on his part though, i never met him but i know she didnt have to work AND he was a engineer too---not saying that thats the life for me, but still might be some good on their).....

And im just too weary about signing up for something where i cant at least get a preview of what these men at least somewhat look like sheesh if i do the profile as much as that at least one glance...

I signed up on eharmony after seeing this thread. Surprise surprise...they have apparently "flex matched" me with men. In my profile, I said explicitly -- no children and that height is important. Who do they "flex match me with" men with 50-11 children and are 5'1-5'4 (I am 5'10). (apparently -- in reading the site -- flex matching happens if you like it or not, because there is no one else to match you with). I guess I will stick to what I have been doing; nothing much, but its better than being bombarded with exactly what I don't want. :nono:

One of my friends in MI met her husband on E-harmony. I do think that e-harmony tends to attract the "marrying" kind. However, whether or not you find a match there is really all about fate and that tricky thing that happens when the man you're interested in is interested in you at the same time.

I have never been a paying member of eharmony but I there was a period of time when I didn't check the matches and the number really blew up. I had a he** of a time going through and closing all those matches and still didn't get through them all. I wish there was a function where you could just check them all and put them in the closed section. I haven't been back on there for this reason alone...I don't want to have to go to each individual profile and move them to the closed section. I have reached my limit for matches because I can't get through the hundreds (literally) of matches to close them. It takes FOREVER!!! I hope you get an answer to your question bc I have the same problem.

I signed up on eharmony after seeing this thread. Surprise surprise...they have apparently "flex matched" me with men. In my profile, I said explicitly -- no children and that height is important. Who do they "flex match me with" men with 50-11 children and are 5'1-5'4 (I am 5'10). (apparently -- in reading the site -- flex matching happens if you like it or not, because there is no one else to match you with). I guess I will stick to what I have been doing; nothing much, but its better than being bombarded with exactly what I don't want. :nono:

This "flex matching" is what I kept running into the second time around as well. It really lessened the quality of the matches. Plus, they kept doing promotions that brought people in that weren't actually paying, so you get matched, but it can't go anywhere because no one is paying to talk. I don't know if they're running out of people or what. For some reason I suspect that they are inflating their success numbers since their business practices seem slightly desperate (I also had difficulty cancelling my subscription). idk.

I was just coming in here to post this! I am in the UK and their adverts here state that 2% of newlyweds in the US met on eharmony. How true is that I wonder?

I know of 1 couple that met online and are married. They have been married for around 15 years now. Not sure which site they met on.

This "flex matching" is what I kept running into the second time around as well. It really lessened the quality of the matches. Plus, they kept doing promotions that brought people in that weren't actually paying, so you get matched, but it can't go anywhere because no one is paying to talk. I don't know if they're running out of people or what. For some reason I suspect that they are inflating their success numbers since their business practices seem slightly desperate (I also had difficulty cancelling my subscription). idk.
I just recently signed up too. :sekret: I was having the same problem with people who I would never want to be matched up with (too short, has kids, no education etc etc) So I went thru and erased everyone and I went back and became a lot more picky about my preferences. I mean very picky. They say not to be so picky because it will lessen your options but I like it so much better that way. I have been in communication with a few guys who I think are really interesting. It just sucks that I go days with out any new matches. But I guess a few REALLY GOOD matches is better than a million horrible matches.

Back