Edges update...I LOVE Castor oil and Molasses!!!

lesedi

All is well with me
Just wanted to give Molasses props. Don't sleep on it- It is a godsend. My hair is now darker, stronger and softer than before. I put this down to molasses and castor oil. My edges are coming back too:yep:....

Here are a couple of pics of my horrible edges in September after braids...
Snapshot_20120923_3.jpg

Snapshot_20120923_7.jpg

And today...
hairbraid2.jpg

hair3.jpg

hair2.jpg

random pics of hair today...

hair1.jpg

hair4.jpg

Thank you so much for posting. I was thinking about trying something for my edges. they've always been sketchy.

So how do you mix and apply?

I put castor oil in all my DCs and my spritz mix. I oil my whole scalp with CO twice a week and do my edges daily. I do a molasses treatment once a week- The molasses has just made my new growth on my hairline way stronger and added to it's thickness.

You have made some great progress! What prompted you to start doing molasses treatments? I have some blackstrap that I use for iron. Maybe I'll try.

You have made some great progress! What prompted you to start doing molasses treatments? I have some blackstrap that I use for iron. Maybe I'll try.

I saw some on sale lol:lachen: and read up and found out that it thickens; is a humecant and is a light protein

damn. i keep molasses for my biscuits.....maybe there's a new use next wash day. :) I would guess that it's the sulfur in molasses that does the trick?

thanks OP! Great progress--gorgeous hair, gorgeous girl!

Great progress! Castor oil on edges works for sure! I hadn't heard about molasses though. I'm interested in the darkening properties. lesedi What is your regimen with this?

Great progress! Castor oil on edges works for sure! I hadn't heard about molasses though. I'm interested in the darkening properties. lesedi What is your regimen with this?

My hair was brownish in September, i had an ombre thing going on. IRL my hair is looking as close to jet black than it ever has, the only thing that changed in my reggie was the addition of molasses:yep:

I make my molasses mix by mixing 50% blackstrap molasses; 25% aussie 3 min and 25% castor oil. I warm up for no more than 20 secs and immediately distribute through my hair in sections. i then wrap with cling film and sit under the drier for 30-45 mins... I rinse with cold water and my hair is instantly super moisturised, strong and shiny:yep: I do this once a week and if it's windy or dry out, I'll co-wash with it mixed into my tresemme Naturals whenever needed

Last edited:
You have made some great progress! I wish I had known about this a while ago. My edges fell out after I had my son they have just grown in enough where I can start braiding them again. It took forever though. I thought they were gone.

My hair was brownish in September, i had an ombre thing going on. IRL my hair is looking as close to jet black than it ever has, the y thing that changed in my reggie was the addition of molasses:yep:

I make my molasses mix b mixing 50% blackstrap molasses; 25% aussie 3 min and 25% castor oil. I warm up for no more than 20 secs and immediately distribute through m hair in sections. i then wrap with cling film and sit under the drier for 30-45 mins... I rinse with cold water and my hair is instantly super moisturised, strong and shiny:yep: I do this once a week and if it's wind or dry out, I'll co-wash with i mixed into my tresemme Naturals whenever needed

excellent! I don't usually try new things but this I will try!

My dh will prolly die when he sees me doing this... Oh well

LOL I hide most of my routine because my loved ones think i'm insane. What's funny is that I have such a simple regimen ( very K.I.S.S) but they think it's extra:lachen: If they were to come up in here and read about mud washes, oil pulling etc they would fall OUT:lachen:

Please explain why I'm sitting under the dryer right now with Grandma's Best Molassess (unsulphured), condish, castor/grapeseed/olive oil? Ugh! I couldn't resist. Need more castor oil for my edges. I was going to order some JBCO, but since OP has seen such great progress using regular castor oil, I think I'll just bump up my purchase from grocery store castor oil to cold-pressed castor oil.

Congrats on the progress lesedi!

I bought some molasses from whole foods for strengthing treatments but I never used it. THanks for the reminder.... I still using JBCO on my scalp and since I'm weaved back up. I can add it more often.

Congrats and great progress. I believe in the power of castor oil and attribute jbco to my healthier edges. I scalp massage with it a few times per week.

Back