Dyeing My Henna Red to black(help)

kim

My hair is so red from henna(I pre-lightened it) that I'm thinking of going black. What would be the best shade of black?( NOT INTERESTED IN INDIGO). I have some orangey-red areas that I'm afraid of turning green or some other off color. So should I do like a black/brown, blue black, natural black, etc? Also, should I do permanent, semi or demi? Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
If your hair is dyed red from Henna the Indigo Shouldn't turn it green at all :)

Check out www.mehandi.com the lady's hair is Red from Henna and then she applied Indigo.

I did this as well, my hair was Auburn and turned Black :) from Indigo

My hair becomes pitch black from using henna, then indigo.

Recently I stopped using henna and indigo to dye my hair. I used a semi-permanent. Big mistake... My hair did not have that beautiful natural ebony color. It was an ashy black and I felt like LHCF's Ashy Larry.

So I can't wait to get my shipment of indigo so I can look fly. Don't be afraid to try it. Your hair won't turn green if you follow the directions.

Angelicus, JJamiah- Thanks ladies! But I'm not interested in Indigo. I would like to use either permanent, semi or demi color. I'm leaning more towards permanent or demi because I'm not sure the semi will stick. Thanks for your responses!!

Last edited:
you can dye over henna. they tell you not to because henna coats the hair and prevents the color from really processing like it should therefor either the color will take and then fade, or itll take in an uneven fashion. i dyed my hair black over henna because i was tired of the red also. my hair ended up fading to a nice dark brown which i liked. then today i hennaed again and my hair is fine.
however i would do tons of research because even though i did it, most people dont.

chebaby- Thanks!! I have researching like crazy. I knew I could dye over the henna, I was just worried because my henna color is so bright and I didn't want to pick the wrong color black(wrong base) and end up with green hair. I wanted to be able to cover the red-orangey color nicely. I picked the Revlon Colorsilk Blue Black. Wish me luck!!!

If you're concerned about your hair turning green I would for sure do some strand tests before dying your entire head. Let us know how it turns out, I currently henna & indigo and I know one eventually I may want to try permanent (lighter) colour/highlights. :)

If you're concerned about your hair turning green I would for sure do some strand tests before dying your entire head. Let us know how it turns out, I currently henna & indigo and I know one eventually I may want to try permanent (lighter) colour/highlights. :)

I have a small ball of strands ready to go lol!! I'll let you know how it goes!!!

*Update*- Okay, so I dyed my hair Blue Black using the Revlon Colorsilk. Because my henna'd hair was bright with very orangey tones I used the black dye with a blue base to neutralize the orange. First, I used the Colorful Neutral Protein filler. I used this because I lifted my natural hair color before I used the henna. I wasn't really sure if I needed this because I know henna acts like a protein on your hair. But because I haven't henna'd in about 4 months, I figured it would be ok. It worked wonderfully!!! I had been complaining about the henna removing alot of my curl. I used Joico K-Pak reconstruct conditioner a few weeks ago and it helped some. But this Colorful filler done magic! My curls are back!!! Of course it also helped with making sure my color came out even and the dye took well. I expected to see some red still coming thru but as far as I can tell it is very, very black. I really love it!! I also like this Revlon Colorsilk brand, it was very gentle. It also came with a nice conditioner. So in all, I'm happy I decided to cover up the henna red. I have said about 5 times that I will no longer henna and this time I REALLY mean it LOL!! If anyone wants my henna, please check the swap forum. I have some for sale, but I am willing to do a swap. I really would like to get rid of it.

I henna'd for over a year and decided one day to dye my hair black. I was able to dye with no problems. I think that if you choose to dye your hair a lighter shade the henna might get in the way.

Back