Dumb question section

Sosoothing

Hello ladies:wave: ,
I decided to become a member a few days ago but I still lurk more than I post. I was wondering if we already have a dumb question section because I have a couple and dont want to be redundant.
1. Why are magnetic rollers called "magnetic" should they stick together when you put them in? I bought some and I wasnt sure how they were supposed to stay on my head.
2. I think I am on my way to mastering self relaxing. I know overlapping is bad but does it mean that those of you that have mastered the procedure dont overlap at all? Even if its just 1/18 of an inch or in a few sections of your head? Am I not doing something right? My hair doesnt seem to be suffering though.

If you have any tips feel free to let me know.

TIA

Not dumb at all! Magnetic rollers are called so because you use them when your hair is wet and your hair sticks to the plastic roller like a magnet. Overlapping is ...... IMO inevitable. You try to MINIMIZE it as best you can with as much new growth as possible, and not over smoothing during relaxing process. As long as you're not going 4" past the mark or all the way to the ends, you're fine.

if this a dumb question section I got one dumb question. I know I been a member long enough to know this-in fact, it was one of my first questions when I joined-but i forgot the answer. ok once and for all what is a rinse? When I go to a BSS I bottles of rinses with the Dominican Products.I know it has something to do with detangling. Is it like a light conditioner? What is it for and how do you use it?

glossyxlipz said:
if this a dumb question section I got one dumb question. I know I been a member long enough to know this-in fact, it was one of my first questions when I joined-but i forgot the answer. ok once and for all what is a rinse? When I go to a BSS I bottles of rinses with the Dominican Products.I know it has something to do with detangling. Is it like a light conditioner? What is it for and how do you use it?
Rinses help smooth the cuticle and help with detangling. I use Dominican rinses, and I love them.

Currently, my two favorite Dominican rinses are:

· Lafier Desrizol Rinse
· Lafier Honey and Almond Rinse

ooohh ok thanks Allandra, I think they use that on me too at the Dominican Salon. I will try it and see how I like it. Thanks a bunch!

shunemite said:
Not dumb at all! Magnetic rollers are called so because you use them when your hair is wet and your hair sticks to the plastic roller like a magnet. Overlapping is ...... IMO inevitable. You try to MINIMIZE it as best you can with as much new growth as possible, and not over smoothing during relaxing process. As long as you're not going 4" past the mark or all the way to the ends, you're fine.

Thanks girl. That explains everything, I will definately try my rollers with wet hair next time. About the self relaxing, I guess I now have it down just right :) .

Lkaysgirl said:
what is a wash-n-go?

When I was relaxed:
I would "wash", condition, add oil (while wet), then make a (wet) bun.... then "go" about my day!

Now that I'm natural:
I will "wash", condition, add oil (or moisturizer or curl defining cream, etc), give my curls a good shake (to help clump the curls together), while airdrying, "go" about my day!

... simply stated, a "wash & go" is a quick, convenient procedure/style. My above avatar pic is a "wash & go" (aka "shake & go") back in March :)

Last edited:
Thanks peachtree. I have actually never thought of doing this. I always schedule my hair care time when Im know im not leaving the house for a while. Now that school's started this will definately have to do:) .

***sneaking in with cloak on************

I have a question...

How do you use a poo bar? Do you use it like a regular soap bar? I just can't picture doing this wihout tangles....

***runs out*****

rai said:
***sneaking in with cloak on************

I have a question...

How do you use a poo bar? Do you use it like a regular soap bar? I just can't picture doing this wihout tangles....

***runs out*****
I believe they lather it in their hands first then run it over the scalp and length without "balling up the hair or not piling the hair on top of the head" so to speak so there will be no tangles. I have heard some good things about chagrin valley poo bars online and the bars look absolutely yummy :lick: .

brownhaired_bonanza said:
Huge question!

What in the world is mtg??

It's an oil that they use for horses mane and tails. MTG-Mane Tail Groom.
Some ladies use it for hair growth . HTH!

Last edited:
Cincysweetie said:
I have one...what is the difference between texturizing your hair, a texturizer, and underprocessing the hair??

Texturizing your hair means you leave the relaxer on just a few mins to loosen the curl.

A texturizer is just a relaxer(marketing), it's usually milder sometimes.

Underprocessed hair is not done intentionally. You intended for the relaxer to make your hair straight but it didn't.

Last edited:
pink_flower said:
Texturizing your hair means you leave the relaxer on just a few mins to loosen the curl.

A texturizer is just a relaxer(marketing), it's usually milder sometimes.

Underprocessed hair is not done intentionally. You intended for the relaxer to make your hair straight but it didn't.
So, just to be clear...by underprocessing your hair you really could just be texturizing it? Except you intentionally underprocess your hair?

Cincysweetie said:
So, just to be clear...by underprocessing your hair you really could just be texturizing it? Except you intentionally underprocess your hair?

Yes :yep:

Texturizing=intentional
Underprocessed= unintentional

But the end result is the same on your hair.

foxybrownsugar said:
I believe they lather it in their hands first then run it over the scalp and length without "balling up the hair or not piling the hair on top of the head" so to speak so there will be no tangles. I have heard some good things about chagrin valley poo bars online and the bars look absolutely yummy :lick: .

Thanks **hugs**

Can you sweat a perm out or not? or Does a perm actually "wear off" your hair? I know with me that doesn't happen. Perm sticks on my fine, thin hair. But I had a roommate that had beautiful strong hair and she always permed all of it and said the perm just wore off after a while.

misscrystal said:
Okay, I have one....what exactly is a "doobie"?! :look: I feel like I should know what it is, but I don't!

Doobie=roller wrap

Where you rollerset and then wrap the hair w/ pins.

I didn't know what it was for the longest either. The term is commonly used in Dominican salons.

How do you use surge?
What does it do?
Do you have to wash your everyday when using surge?

What's S-curl and what does it do?

missvi said:
How do you use surge?
What does it do?

S-curl is a curl activator that works as a great moisturizer even for relaxed hair. Im not sure what surge is.

Surge 14 is to help aid in hair growth and mend split ends, etc., I use it and it works great it says use 2x's a day am/pm. I washed my hair before I started using it and just shampooed regularly according to my routine, (every thurs.) I don't believe you have to wash everyday. S-curl is an activator/moisturizer which works great on the NG when stretching relaxers, it helps loosen the curl making it soft and easy to comb.
missvi said:
How do you use surge?
What does it do?

What is a CW (conditioner wash/co-wash) and how often and how do you incorporate it into your hair routine? (I shampoo and roller set once a week)

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Surge 14 is to help aid in hair growth and mend split ends, etc., I use it and it works great it says use 2x's a day am/pm. I washed my hair before I started using it and just shampooed regularly according to my routine, (every thurs.) I don't believe you have to wash everyday.

Be careful if you use this product and don't wash frequently. A lot of ladies have had bad reactions to the product. That was with the old formula.

Back