Dumb question section

blackbarbie said:
What is a CW (conditioner wash/co-wash) and how often and how do you incorporate it into your hair routine? (I shampoo and roller set once a week)

This is when you wash your hair with only conditioner. Skip the shampoo. My hair lovesssss it. :love:

MzTami said:
Is texturized and natural the same?

How can you be natural but have a texturizer in your hair?

It is an underdone relaxer or a very mild relaxer. It's left on the hair about half the amount of time it takes to get your hair straight. Most people end up with curly or wavy hair. For me it's the best of both worlds (natural & relaxed).

Allandra said:
Currently, my two favorite Dominican rinses are:

· Lafier Desrizol Rinse
· Lafier Honey and Almond Rinse

so then is a rinse and a leave in conditioner the same thing?

ftballwidow said:
Can you sweat a perm out or not? or Does a perm actually "wear off" your hair? I know with me that doesn't happen. Perm sticks on my fine, thin hair. But I had a roommate that had beautiful strong hair and she always permed all of it and said the perm just wore off after a while.

A perm is a permanent thing-you're changing the disulfide bonds in the hair (these bonds are what help give the hair texture->curls and waves). You can't sweat it out. What might've happened is that your friend had an underprocessed relaxer. Post-relaxing, when the hair was rollerset or flat-ironed, it was probably straightened a bit more. Since that kind of straightening is temporary, when water/sweat hit the hair, it reverted back to the underprocessed/textured state.

I have heard that you should not do a strong protein treatment right after a relaxer because the protein in the treatment can repair some of the disulfide bonds if you do it too soon.

MzTami said:

Once hair has been texturized, it is not natural although it may resemble one's natural texture.

dlewis said:
What is a blow out? Where can I buy Domican Rinses? Thanks.

At a Dominican Salon - Rolling wet hair on large rollers, allowing it to dry, then blow drying the hair with a round brush.

Try sickbay.biz to purchase rinses.

I shapoo every thursday, that's part of my routine, once a week and clarify 2x's a month. I think that's enough washing :look: .
Queenie said:
Be careful if you use this product and don't wash frequently. A lot of ladies have had bad reactions to the product. That was with the old formula.

Not to me, IMO, anything that has a chemical on it to change the NATURAL appearance or state of the hair is not natural. So texturized and natural are not the same.
MzTami said:

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Not to me, IMO, anything that has a chemical on it to change the NATURAL appearance or state of the hair is not natural. So texturized and natural are not the same.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I didn't think so either.

ftballwidow said:
Can you sweat a perm out or not? or Does a perm actually "wear off" your hair? I know with me that doesn't happen. Perm sticks on my fine, thin hair. But I had a roommate that had beautiful strong hair and she always permed all of it and said the perm just wore off after a while.

For me, you can, but my definition of sweating a perm out is different. When I say "sweat a perm out", this means that I have just recently got a perm, and I participated in an activity that caused me to sweat a lot like working out, that caused my hair to "sweat out" the style.

However, based on your friend's definition, I don't agree with that. I think that sometimes when people have very thick hair and haven't quite figured out the best way to take care of it, they sometimes assume it is time for a new perm. When you first get a relaxer, you do the whole head, and in resulting touch-ups you do only the roots. I know that sometimes you do the whole head again, but that is at most a once a year thing. However, I do know people like your friend who get the whole head done all the time, but I would be personally leary of doing this.

Sweet C said:
For me, you can, but my definition of sweating a perm out is different. When I say "sweat a perm out", this means that I have just recently got a perm, and I participated in an activity that caused me to sweat a lot like working out, that caused my hair to "sweat out" the style.

However, based on your friend's definition, I don't agree with that. I think that sometimes when people have very thick hair and haven't quite figured out the best way to take care of it, they sometimes assume it is time for a new perm. When you first get a relaxer, you do the whole head, and in resulting touch-ups you do only the roots. I know that sometimes you do the whole head again, but that is at most a once a year thing. However, I do know people like your friend who get the whole head done all the time, but I would be personally leary of doing this.

To add to this, some of us have hair that doesn't relax all the way straight. So it looks straight right after it's done, set, and blowdried. But once moisture hits it again (like sweat) some of the curl comes back. The hair is still relaxed, but people sometimes mistake this as the relaxer having worn off when really, this is as straight as the hair actually got.

brazenxvirtue said:
To add to this, some of us have hair that doesn't relax all the way straight. So it looks straight right after it's done, set, and blowdried. But once moisture hits it again (like sweat) some of the curl comes back. The hair is still relaxed, but people sometimes mistake this as the relaxer having worn off when really, this is as straight as the hair actually got.

Too true brazenvirtue!

I know sometimes parts of my hair will randomly wave after having a doobie/blowout. Doesn't mean I need a new perm, its just that when I try to wear my hair straight, this happens occasionally due to the combination of factors like hair textures, type of perm, moisture, products, etc.

rai said:
Thanks. Is there a list of all the smiley face actions?

:wave:
When you are posting, on the right side of the page there are the smileys and link for "more" click the link and there is a full page of smileys you can just point and click on that you want to use.

Is a heating cap the same as a regular ole shower cap?
I sometimes don't use heat when I deep condition and would like to know if my efforts have been in vain.

No, a heating cap has a plug and a dial to set the heat. It actually gets warm.

I've only ever used a Gold n' Hot heating cap, and it doesn't distribute the heat very well or get very hot at all. There are better brands out there I guess =/

misscrystal said:
No, a heating cap has a plug and a dial to set the heat. It actually gets warm.

I've only ever used a Gold n' Hot heating cap, and it doesn't distribute the heat very well or get very hot at all. There are better brands out there I guess =/

thanks for responding:) .

Back