Dry, rough and dull hair!!! HELP!

alainaraye

I have a dilemma and I need some advice. My hair is going through a terrible phase and I can’t figure out the cause or the solution. It has been shedding like crazy for the past few months or so. More recently, it has become really rough, dry, and dull looking. A few details regarding my regimen:

1. I co-wash weekly using either Skala Ceramides or Tresemme Color Thrive conditioner

2. After cowashing, I add a small amount of oil (olive or one n only argan) to my damp hair and then air dry

3. After airdrying, I then flat iron my hair

4. I use Caruso rollers on a daily basis for styling

5. I cross wrap my hair nightly using a silk scarf

6. I use shampoo appx once per month. I usually use Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo

7. I deep condition overnight appx twice per month using Skala Ceramides Masque

Other details – I’m approximately 20 weeks post relaxer (I use Phytospecific Phytorelaxer Index 1) and I had a baby girl 10 ½ months ago (which could be the cause of all the shedding).

I’m in desperate need of some help. I have no clue what’s going wrong or how to make it right. All suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated!

When was your last clarifying shampoo? Have you tried adding the oil straight to your scalp? Do you airdry your hair in a stretched state? If I haven't had a relaxer for a while, it may help to stretch your wet roots by drying in ponytails and putting the ends on magnetic rollers. As far as flat ironing, you can flat iron natural roots up to 450, and the relaxed hair can handle as low as 300, that may help.

When was your last clarifying shampoo? Have you tried adding the oil straight to your scalp? Do you airdry your hair in a stretched state? If I haven't had a relaxer for a while, it may help to stretch your wet roots by drying in ponytails and putting the ends on magnetic rollers. As far as flat ironing, you can flat iron natural roots up to 450, and the relaxed hair can handle as low as 300, that may help.

I clarified last week and I airdry in a ponytail (but without rollers). I also have never tried adding oil straight to my scalp. I usually keep my flat iron at ~ 350. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Rough, dry and dull - have you tried an ACV rinse perhaps your PH levels are off. Shedding, I'd bet is post partum...not much works but you could try tea/coffee/cold water rinses.

Ok, so you already clarified. Yeah I would try drying your hair in like 5 ponytails after oiling your wet scalp. Like just pull the roots taught and use ponytail holders and put the ends on magnetic rollers.

I have a dilemma and I need some advice. My hair is going through a terrible phase and I can’t figure out the cause or the solution. It has been shedding like crazy for the past few months or so. More recently, it has become really rough, dry, and dull looking. A few details regarding my regimen:

1. I co-wash weekly using either Skala Ceramides or Tresemme Color Thrive conditioner

2. After cowashing, I add a small amount of oil (olive or one n only argan) to my damp hair and then air dry

3. After airdrying, I then flat iron my hair

4. I use Caruso rollers on a daily basis for styling

5. I cross wrap my hair nightly using a silk scarf

6. I use shampoo appx once per month. I usually use Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo

7. I deep condition overnight appx twice per month using Skala Ceramides Masque

Other details – I’m approximately 20 weeks post relaxer (I use Phytospecific Phytorelaxer Index 1) and I had a baby girl 10 ½ months ago (which could be the cause of all the shedding).

I’m in desperate need of some help. I have no clue what’s going wrong or how to make it right. All suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Assess your hair after each step of your regimen (i.e. how does your hair feel after co-washing with your products? Good? Then stick with it...bad? Change it).

Try bumping up your Deep Conditioning to 1x a week, it also sounds like you're using a lot of heat...I know the Caruso is a safe form of heat, but maybe doing it daily is sucking the moisture out of your strands, in addition to flat ironing weekly without DC'ing prior to that.

Where is your daily moisturizer? At 20 weeks post relaxer you really need to be on top of your moisture game. hth :)

Very, very helpful replies! Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I've never done an acv rinse, so I'll definitely give it a try in addition to oiling my scalp and weekly dc'ing.

Re assessing my hair regimen...: my hair actually feels great after each step; until it dries, then it's a hot mess. It's even nice and soft immediately after flat ironing and/or removing the carusos, but a few hours later it's rough and dry again.

I don't use a moisturizer at all - so that may be the issue. Most ones that I've tried really weigh my hair down. Any suggestions on a light, but moisturizing moisturizer?

Last edited:
So are you flatironing weekly? That may be the problem there.

Btw, what temperature are you using?

Perhaps you're flatironing too frequently, and your hair is damaged and not retaining moisture properly?

At any rate, my suggestion is to reduce the amount of heat you are applying, and get some CFCG (Care Free Curl Gold Instant Activator) in your life!

As a moisturizer, it works well for both relaxed and natural heads. And, with it's high glycerin content, it should serve you well, especially during the spring and summer when the air tends to be more humid. :yep:

could the heated rollers be part of the problem? also you may wanto to do a protein and/or some hot oil treatments.

Also you may want to continue taking your prenatal vitamins to ensure you are getting the vitamins and minerals your body needs.

Hope this helps.

Jojoba oil is a good moisturizer for straight hair, as it is light yet effective. It's a lot like sebum so it doesn't take much.

Very, very helpful replies! Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I've never done an acv rinse, so I'll definitely give it a try in addition to oiling my scalp and weekly dc'ing.

Re assessing my hair regimen...: my hair actually feels great after each step; until it dries, then it's a hot mess. It's even nice and soft immediately after flat ironing and/or removing the carusos, but a few hours later it's rough and dry again.

I don't use a moisturizer at all - so that may be the issue. Most ones that I've tried really weigh my hair down. Any suggestions on a light, but moisturizing moisturizer?

Your hair needs more moisture. Increase your deep conditioning to 1x a week and please use a leave-in conditioner before styling/using heat.. My personal fave especially if I use heat is redken all soft velvet whip thermal softening treatment. A little goes a long way. If you prefer a liquid leave-in as opposed to a creamy one, I also like biolage daily leave in tonic(from their moisture line) or infusium 23. Using a daily moisturizer at least 2-3 times a week or more depending on your personal hair needs is also recommended.
Good luck.

So are you flatironing weekly? That may be the problem there.

Btw, what temperature are you using?
I agree, flat ironing weekly may be too much. I'm just not sure if how else to straighten my hair. Maybe I'll only flat iron the roots and see if that helps. My iron is usually at a temp of about 350.

Thanks!

Perhaps you're flatironing too frequently, and your hair is damaged and not retaining moisture properly?

At any rate, my suggestion is to reduce the amount of heat you are applying, and get some CFCG (Care Free Curl Gold Instant Activator) in your life!

As a moisturizer, it works well for both relaxed and natural heads. And, with it's high glycerin content, it should serve you well, especially during the spring and summer when the air tends to be more humid. :yep:
Thanks! I'll try to reduce my flat iron usage and try the cfcg.

could the heated rollers be part of the problem? also you may wanto to do a protein and/or some hot oil treatments.

Also you may want to continue taking your prenatal vitamins to ensure you are getting the vitamins and minerals your body needs.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your replies!! Since my hair was hard I was afraid that a protein treatment would make it worse. I'll try that during my next wash. I also didn't know that jojoba oil could be used as a moisturizer, I thought it was just a sealant. Thanks for your advice!

Your hair needs more moisture. Increase your deep conditioning to 1x a week and please use a leave-in conditioner before styling/using heat.. My personal fave especially if I use heat is redken all soft velvet whip thermal softening treatment. A little goes a long way. If you prefer a liquid leave-in as opposed to a creamy one, I also like biolage daily leave in tonic(from their moisture line) or infusium 23. Using a daily moisturizer at least 2-3 times a week or more depending on your personal hair needs is also recommended.
Good luck.
Thanks! I'll definitely add a leave in. I think that my attempt to keep my regimen as simple as possible has definitely caused me to leave out vital steps. It seems as if I need to adjust things a bit.

Thanks for your help. How and when should I use aloe vera juice?

Your welcome. I deep condition overnight with it. It is a natural humectant so it leaves your hair soft and moisturized. If that doesn't help your ph might be off. Rinsing your hair with Apple Cider Vinegar should help.

Back