Dry hair growing well.....????

mrslollis

Right now I'm relaxed with Mizani but not bone strait. I just did a relaxer tonight my last relaxer was 5 or 6 months ago.

My issue is that my hair is dry and it sheds. It has always done this no matter what I am natural, bone strait, or texlaxed. It has always been dry as well. One thing that I can say is that my hair has been growing awesomely but it's so dry and it does that knot thing which it has always done. Do I have to just suck it up or is there something I can do for my hair as well?

My every day regime is to wet my hair and put vo5 in my hair rinse most of it out and put hawaiian silky 14 in 1 and put some olive oil on it or grease and that's the end of the story.
and when my hair is shedding it's long strands. While it's wet it feels toughish.
I bought a hair dryer so i can DC.

I have been wearing my hair out in wash n go's or braid outs.

for me when i dont dc my hair especially my new growth would be dry, and hawaiian silky dries my hair out as well.

How often do you DC? DC at least weekly. Leave in alone isn't enough moisture for most people

Do I have to just suck it up or is there something I can do for my hair as well?

No you don't have to suck it up at all!!! You're missing DC'ing from your regimen which you will find to be very rewarding and will make a world of difference. Once a week will be good enough. Get a good moisturizing one- I love Keracare humecto, but any of the other GOOD QUALITY moisturizing conditioners are good. Sit under your new dryer for 20-25 minutes, you won't regret it :grin:

Give yourself a clarifying shampoo wash and deep condition with a protein/moisture DC that has a pH between 4-4.5

Final rinse in cold water

Try and stay away from products that have glycerin. Sounds like you are gly. sensitive.

Give yourself a clarifying shampoo wash and deep condition with a protein/moisture DC that has a pH between 4-4.5

Final rinse in cold water

Try and stay away from products that have glycerin. Sounds like you are glycerin sensitive.

There is nothing wrong with mineral oil.

For some, glycerin makes the hair dry and brittle.

OHHHH well I'll try and stay away from the Hawaiian silky! I bought some mizani hair stuff I really want to take back it was like instant dry like I could strike a match or something :perplexed...I paid a boat load for that too....sigh. I just bought a super giant bottle of hawaiian silky too lol

So so far I'm going to get

Kera Kare Humecto
claryifying shampoo (any specific kind?)
Deep Conditioner with protein with a ph 4-4.5 (any specific kind?)

ETA: I forgot to add a leave in. Is that what's supposed to be creamy?

Any other products anyone would recommend?
I'm determined to stop cutting my hair! It's so sad all the hair I have cut :nono:

Kera Kare Humecto

I'm determined to stop cutting my hair! It's so sad all the hair I have cut :nono:

I just relaxed last Thursday after a 7 month stretch and my hair is doing the exact same thing. I just went out and bought the Joico K-Pak protein condish and their deep moisturizing condish which has the 4-4.5 pH. I am going to try to do a weekly dc with these two, and hopefully they will be enough to stop the shedding/breakage.

I personally never use a clarifying shampoo when i already have dry hair. I would suggest that you "prepoo" with a conditioner, then rinse thoroughly and shampoo with a moisturizing conditioner, rinse and then deep condition with heat followed by a cold rinse.

Clarifying shampoos are too harsh on my hair. For me, it's better to rinse and shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo several times, than to clarify which essentially strips my hair of everything. I hope you find what works for you.

I just remembered....

Switching from Mizani No-Lye, to Mizani LYE relaxer completely helped me combat and defeat dry hair.

My hair appeared dry while natural too. But now, texlaxed, my hair no longer looks or feels dry. I will definitely be using Lye relaxer going forward! Thank goodness for this hair board, becaus I would have never figured out what I was doing wrong.

OHHHH well I'll try and stay away from the Hawaiian silky! I bought some mizani hair stuff I really want to take back it was like instant dry like

You might not have to take back Mizani, what specific products did you buy? Coz I hear their Moisturefuse is pretty good.

I personally never use a clarifying shampoo when i already have dry hair. I would suggest that you "prepoo" with a conditioner, then rinse thoroughly and shampoo with a moisturizing conditioner, rinse and then deep condition with heat followed by a cold rinse.

Clarifying shampoos are too harsh on my hair. For me, it's better to rinse and shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo several times, than to clarify which essentially strips my hair of everything. I hope you find what works for you.

What does prepoo mean? I have no idea how to do this lol Alot of times I just try and figure it out on the boards for one so i don't sound stupid lol But that's getting me no where so from now on i'm asking! Thanks for everyones help!

OHHHH well I'll try and stay away from the Hawaiian silky! I bought some mizani hair stuff I really want to take back it was like instant dry like I could strike a match or something :perplexed...I paid a boat load for that too....sigh. I just bought a super giant bottle of hawaiian silky too lol

So so far I'm going to get

Kera Kare Humecto

pH isn't so important but I think you need a moisture DC as opposed to a protein DC. Dry hair needs moisture

You might not have to take back Mizani, what specific products did you buy? Coz I hear their Moisturefuse is pretty good.

I have True Textures Mizani
I know the first ingredient is water but the third is mineral oil I think. I didn't see an ingredient list on the website.

Rose h2o Mizani this ones first ingredient is water and I believe third is mineral oil.

I'm going to look to see if I can find ingredients and post them to see if there is something in there i shouldn't be using.

What does prepoo mean? I have no idea how to do this lol Alot of times I just try and figure it out on the boards for one so i don't sound stupid lol But that's getting me no where so from now on i'm asking! Thanks for everyones help!

When you prepoo you ate preparing your hair to be washed. I only prepoo when I'm using protein. I drench my hair in a wheat germ oil and evoo mix.shampoos can be very stripping sometimes and this helps alot.

How often do you DC? DC at least weekly. Leave in alone isn't enough moisture for most people

To tell the truth i haven't been :blush:.....BUT I really got inspired since my hair is growing so very well I figured if I really found out what was going on with it then it could end up being really awesome. I guess before I was just discouraged kinda thinking that my hair would never be wonderful with out a bone strait and never long with a bone strait relaxer. So I figured maybe I should just be happy with some growth.

What has your routine been like? Your hair could be dry for several different reasons. Is it overprocessed? Who relaxes your hair? Do you get a deep conditioner after your relaxer?

You may need to prepoo with an oil like coconut oil or amla oil.

Also, don't use harsh shampoos.

I would get a rinse with my next retouch.

Alter Ego conditioners are very moisturizing.

Rose h2o ingredients

FIL Code 42080 SS3 Aqua/Water, Paraffinum Liquidum/Mineral Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Petroleum, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Paraffin, Dimethicone, Ceteareth-20, Dicetyl Phosphate, Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Parfum/Fragrance, Panthenol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Triethanolamine, Laureth-23, Citronellol, Geraniol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Hydroxycitronellal, Chamomilla Recutita/Matricaria Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus/ Cymbopogon Schoenanthius Extract,Aachillea Millefolium/ Extract, Melissa Officinalis/Balm Mint Leaf Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis/Rosemary Leaf Extract, Humulus Lupulus/ Hops Extract, Isoeugenol, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, CI 19140/ Yellow 5, Eugenol, CI 14700/red 4, CI 17200/red 33, CI 42090/blue 1 D7680/1

ummm so i was wrong about the water...my bad!

True Textures Curl Replenish Intense Moisturizing Masque
AQUA / WATER
CETEARYL ALCOHOL
AMODIMETHICONE
BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE
CETYL ESTERS
PARFUM / FRAGRANCE
TRIDECETH-6
METHYLPARABEN
SORBIC ACID
SODIUM SALICYLATE
SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS OIL / JOJOBA SEED OIL
PRUNUS ARMENIACA KERNEL OIL / APRICOT KERNEL OIL
TOCOPHERYL ACETATE
CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE
CI 47005 / YELLOW 10
2-OLEAMIDO-1,3-OCTADECANEDIOL
INULIN
COUMARIN
CI 14700 / RED 4

FIL Code: D34626/1

What has your routine been like? Your hair could be dry for several different reasons. Is it overprocessed? Who relaxes your hair? Do you get a deep conditioner after your relaxer?

You may need to prepoo with an oil like coconut oil or amla oil.

Also, don't use harsh shampoos.

I would get a rinse with my next retouch.

Alter Ego conditioners are very moisturizing.

I relax my own hair and I do the steps that I found on here. It's not super strait it's still has texture to it. Yes I do deep conditioner after my relaxer. What's a rinse?

To tell the truth i haven't been :blush:.....BUT I really got inspired since my hair is growing so very well I figured if I really found out what was going on with it then it could end up being really awesome. I guess before I was just discouraged kinda thinking that my hair would never be wonderful with out a bone strait and never long with a bone strait relaxer. So I figured maybe I should just be happy with some growth.

I think a moisture DC is really important to add to your regimen

Deep condition, use a liquid leave in, a creamy one on top of that, and an oil to seal.

Optimus_Prime is so right about this order of products.

Good point. I also prepoo prior to clarifying. Sounds counterproductive but if I don't, the clarifier will strip my hair dry. I've had a huge bottle of clarifying shampoo here for years...because when I do use it, I use very little of it. When the bottle runs out, I'm going to look for the creamiest clarifier out there.

Right now I'm relaxed with Mizani but not bone strait. I just did a relaxer tonight my last relaxer was 5 or 6 months ago.

My issue is that my hair is dry and it sheds. It has always done this no matter what I am natural, bone strait, or texlaxed. It has always been dry as well. One thing that I can say is that my hair has been growing awesomely but it's so dry and it does that knot thing which it has always done. Do I have to just suck it up or is there something I can do for my hair as well?

My every day regime is to wet my hair and put vo5 in my hair rinse most of it out and put hawaiian silky 14 in 1 and put some olive oil on it or grease and that's the end of the story.
and when my hair is shedding it's long strands. While it's wet it feels toughish.
I bought a hair dryer so i can DC.

I have been wearing my hair out in wash n go's or braid outs.

Your hair is either underprocessed or doesn't behave well when airdried so regularly. I suspect wetting your hair every day may be the issue too, especially now that the weather is colder. Maybe switch to wetting it every other day or every 3 days. See if that makes a difference. . What type of climate do you live in?

You need MOISTURE. Oils and grease are not moisture. They're used to seal moisture in. But first you need to focus on moisture-based DCs, leave-in conditioners and daily moisturizers. Also incorporate steam treatments to see if you can lock some moisture into the hair.

If you must do the wash-n-go looks daily, lay off of the daily washes for a while, and replace it with a spritz bottle. In the bottle, mix water with creamy leave-ins or moisturizers and then apply oil on top to seal. Don't be too heavy-handed with oils. Focus more on the moisture-based products.

How many times a week should I do this?

At least once a week until you feel like your moisture balance is back. Then you could cut it down to every 2 weeks. I don't go longer than 2 weeks without DCing. It's the one thing that turned my hair around

Back